Mass Shootings/killings in America: the All Inclusive Thread

I guess things differ in your world, but the greatest threats to my personal life have never been from a white man, nor a police officer. It's been from my peer group. So yeah, I need the ability to defend myself at a moment's notice, because when life and death are on the line, I can't rely on anyone but me. It's not about being a 80s action hero. I'm in a grocery store minding my own business and some guy comes in on a murder spree? Its kill or be killed, not let's wait and let the police sort this out.

What if we had sane gun laws, like mandatory waiting periods and extensive background checks? You wouldn’t be as likely to need a pistol to go grab groceries because both of those laws would’ve prevented what we’ve experienced in the past week.

Btw it’s gross you’re saying you want mass shooters “Swiss-cheesed”. If they had encountered some hurdles before getting a gun there’s a chance they could’ve gotten help. I’m not saying we should pity them but you’re cheering on state-sanctioned executions when this is a pretty avoidable problem without needing to “Swiss-cheese” anyone

Oh I don't. I take my life very seriously. These are heinous crimes that no one wants to be involved with, but I just think we all should learn how to defend ourselves and our loved ones to the best of our ability.

And I don't think people who decided to go out and mass murder innocent people indiscriminately should be one of the folks that got leave the scene of *their* crime alive. Call me crazy.
Then why do you continually talk in terrible action movie phrases?

Second, the reason so much of America has to live in fear when it comes to firearms, is this general attitude towards guns. The entitlement behind the possession and use of them.

As to your last point. That's not your decision to make, and such thinking has led to the death of innocents. It can be hard to figure out exactly who bad guys are in that situation, and to even shoot in a manner that would not endanger others. It is not up to the public to execute people. Your continued advocating for this is exactly why I don't trust normal citizens with guns.

What if we had sane gun laws, like mandatory waiting periods and extensive background checks? You wouldn’t be as likely to need a pistol to go grab groceries because both of those laws would’ve prevented what we’ve experienced in the past week.
Maybe. I have no problem with waiting periods and background checks. However to say that the laws would have prevented what we experienced in the past week isn't necessarily true. People obtain ill-gotten, illegal firearms all the time, in many cases. If someone is coming to use aggression against me, I need to be able match that level of aggression, otherwise I am at their mercy or I'm dead.
Btw it’s gross you’re saying you want mass shooters “Swiss-cheesed”. If they had encountered some hurdles before getting a gun there’s a chance they could’ve gotten help. I’m not saying we should pity them but you’re cheering on state-sanctioned executions when this is a pretty avoidable problem without needing to “Swiss-cheese” anyone
If you are coming to take my life and I defend myself and you die in the process, I call it self defense. The "swiss-cheese" statement is just for illustrative purposes.

Oh okay I see. I thought this was about the reason he did it. Yeah mass shooters should be swiss-cheesed on the spot. Black, white, whatever. None of them should be brought in alive. Back in the day when "going postal" was more of a thing, they used to have the decency to take their worthless hides out themselves.
There will be no advocating of "Swiss-cheesing" or other forms of extreme violence against actual human beings permitted on this board. This is your one warning.

Then why do you continually talk in terrible action movie phrases?
I'm a movie fan. Duh! ;)
Second, the reason so much of America has to live in fear when it comes to firearms, is this general attitude towards guns. The entitlement behind the possession and use of them.
Life experience has a lot to do with it. How I wished I could have grown up in a part of the country or the world where I didn't have to worry about violence or guns or death early on. Fear has been and still appointed unto my rationale. Call it a survival instinct.
As to your last point. That's not your decision to make, and such thinking has led to the death of innocents. It can be hard to figure out exactly who bad guys are in that situation, and to even shoot in a manner that would not endanger others. It is not up to the public to execute people. Your continued advocating for this is exactly why I don't trust normal citizens with guns.
So my last point was people who unconsciously, without remorse gun down innocent people indiscriminately shouldn't get to live a second beyond the first life they took. If you're saying you have any level of empathy or sympathy for these types, I can't relate to that.

So my last point was people who unconsciously, without remorse gun down innocent people indiscriminately shouldn't get to live a second beyond the first life they took. If you're saying you have any level of empathy or sympathy for these types, I can't relate to that.

Its a level that many have problems with. Trust me, criminal justice reform faces issues from both sides. It is easy to say "no death penalty", "de-escalation is key", "don't use as much force". But then you look at things like getting rid of bail. Or holding less people in jail before their trial, even liberals balk. I have seen how many have reacted to how a lot of the insurrectionists are treated.

And its less sympathy than it is a belief in a system of justice. Of how it should be.

I'm a movie fan. Duh! ;)
Does this conversation seem the place for lowbrow sensibilities?

Life experience has a lot to do with it. How I wished I could have grown up in a part of the country or the world where I didn't have to worry about violence or guns or death early on. Fear has been and still appointed unto my rationale. Call it a survival instinct.
I am not going to get into a conversation on what it means to live in fear, but sufficient to say, considering most of us are Americans here, chances are high we all had run-ins with violence, guns and death. Yet, this does not mean we all think everyone should be carrying firearms as "protection". Considering you have made your support know for those that quash all guns rights advocacy, you should consider that your fear comes along with the politicians you support. Who try and scare everyone into the irrational need for guns as protection whether they know how to use them or not.

Unconsciously?

I am saying that you are continually talking about public executions is a very good example of why so many do not buy the argument that guns should be used as protection by normal citizens. You aren't talking about protection, you are talking about vengeance. You are talking about taking the law into your own hands. You are talking about the exact situations that result in innocent lives lost, beyond what is already a tragedy.

I already don't trust the police. Why would anyone trust someone to carry a gun who talks like this?

Its a level that many have problems with. Trust me, criminal justice reform faces issues from both sides. It is easy to say "no death penalty", "de-escalation is key", "don't use as much force". But then you look at things like getting rid of bail. Or holding less people in jail before their trial, even liberals balk. I have seen how many have reacted to how a lot of the insurrectionists are treated.

And its less sympathy than it is a belief in a system of justice. Of how it should be.
That's fair and fine to have a different mindset, to have empathy for criminals. I just don't. Because they have none, zero empathy. So I take the world as it is and move accordingly.

Does this conversation seem the place for lowbrow sensibilities?
Every conversation can be a place for such, if the participants are engaging. But alas, we have a disconnect. You win.
I am not going to get into a conversation on what it means to live in fear, but sufficient to say, considering most of us are Americans here, chances are high we all had run-ins with violence, guns and death. Yet, this does not mean we all think everyone should be carrying firearms as "protection". Considering you have made your support know for those that quash all guns rights advocacy, you should consider that your fear comes along with the politicians you support. Who try and scare everyone into the irrational need for guns as protection whether they know how to use them or not.
I don't think everyone needs to have my mindset. But my opinion is informed by my experience, as it is with most people. And I believe if most people lived my experiences, I believe they'd conclude..."Well, I might want to keep something on me at all times."

Unconsciously?

I am saying that you are continually talking about public executions is a very good example of why so many do not buy the argument that guns should be used as protection by normal citizens. You aren't talking about protection, you are talking about vengeance. You are talking about taking the law into your own hands. You are talking about the exact situations that result in innocent lives lost, beyond what is already a tragedy.

I already don't trust the police. Why would anyone trust someone to carry a gun who talks like this?
I don't think self-defense is a public execution. I'm absolutely talking about protecting myself. I'm a run-hide-fight proponent, but as I said earlier, I need to be able to match the level of my aggressor.

And yes, I declare mass shooters are unconscious in their actions. Freud called it displacement, like punching a wall when you are angry at your spouse

Maybe. I have no problem with waiting periods and background checks. However to say that the laws would have prevented what we experienced in the past week isn't necessarily true. People obtain ill-gotten, illegal firearms all the time, in many cases.

If there’s a tiny bit of you that is actually listening, please understand: most every mass shooting, including these latest two, are from legally purchased firearms. You can’t say stricter laws wouldn’t have prevented this when we haven’t tried.

If someone is coming to use aggression against me, I need to be able match that level of aggression, otherwise I am at their mercy or I'm dead.

If you are coming to take my life and I defend myself and you die in the process, I call it self defense. The "swiss-cheese" statement is just for illustrative purposes.

I’ve heard this tough guy gun talk my whole life and it’s so corny. You aren’t a cowboy and your supposed need for a gun wouldn’t be necessary if we impeded peoples abilities to get guns.

If there’s a tiny bit of you that is actually listening, please understand: most every mass shooting, including these latest two, are from legally purchased firearms. You can’t say stricter laws wouldn’t have prevented this when we haven’t tried.

I’ve heard this tough guy gun talk my whole life and it’s so corny. You aren’t a cowboy and your supposed need for a gun wouldn’t be necessary if we impeded peoples abilities to get guns.
If we go full Singapore, I'm with it. But until we get there....

If we go full Singapore, I'm with it. But until we get there....
giphy.gif

Every conversation can be a place for such, if the participants are engaging. But alas, we have a disconnect. You win.
You have a disconnect with pretty much everyone else in this thread.

I don't think everyone needs to have my mindset. But my opinion is informed by my experience, as it is with most people. And I believe if most people lived my experiences, I believe they'd conclude..."Well, I might want to keep something on me at all times."
Statistics on gun law reform show you are wrong.

I don't think self-defense is a public execution. I'm absolutely talking about protecting myself. I'm a run-hide-fight proponent, but as I said earlier, I need to be able to match the level of my aggressor.

And yes, I declare mass shooters are unconscious in their actions. Freud called it displacement, like punching a wall when you are angry at your spouse
Freud and spousal abuse. Sure.

These are not words about self-defense:

That is about execution. Throwing in the word self-defense every once in a while does not change your violent rhetoric. It is why you made up an argument that others were sympathizing with shooters. To deflect from what we could all see you were saying.

I'm dead serious. I wouldn't mind it at all. Singapore has the lowest crime rate in the world. For a reason. But we ain't ready for those laws.
I wonder if KRYPTON's issue with taking you seriously is how you say you are all for it, but then go straight to, "but we ain't ready". Almost as if pushing it off to a nebulous future period, so you can get the credit for acting moderate, while making your true feelings felt with your tough guy act.

I wonder if KRYPTON's issue with taking you seriously is how you say you are all for it, but then go straight to, "but we ain't ready". Almost as if pushing it off to a nebulous future period, so you can get the credit for acting moderate, while making your true feelings felt with your tough guy act.
No, I just don't think most Americans want the Singapore system of government, as a whole. Not just their gun laws, but everything, because they go hand in hand. But I'd love it.

That is about execution. Throwing in the word self-defense every once in a while does not change your violent rhetoric. It is why you made up an argument that others were sympathizing with shooters. To deflect from what we could all see you were saying.
You're wrong. I referred to self-defense and protecting my family and did so often from the beginning, while also stating I don't believe cold blooded killers deserve the chance at life they did not give their victims. Two things can be true, but you're free to misinterpret however you wish.

I don't even know what to say anymore. :(

...mass shootings are more common than sales on Apple products.

There will be no advocating of "Swiss-cheesing" or other forms of extreme violence against actual human beings permitted on this board. This is your one warning.

I just walked into this thread. Jesus.

In one ear and out the other

Yeah. This happened about 10 miles from where I'm staying. They evidently all knew each other and had some sort of business or personal relationship. A 9 year old boy was killed and the guy used bicycle locks and chains on the front and back entrances to keep people in and the police out. The police heard gunfire when they arrived, but had to wait for bolt cutters before they could gain entrance to the office complex.

Horrible. :( Though I suppose a brain scan for CTE would be in order.

This is getting ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"