Matthew Vaughn Mentions X-Men

Vaughn recorded a hilarious video introduction to the [Stardust] screening, in which he apologized for leaving X-MEN 3 in the hands of Brett Ratner.

C: You were very apologetic, obviously, for dropping out of X-MEN 3. That’s really what I remember.
MV: It was a decision that was forced. I wanted to make a film that was as good as X2, and in the time period that I had, I couldn’t do it. I could understand why Fox wanted to motor ahead.

Everyone knew it was never about him not wanting to relocate his family.

I was curious as to how Vaughn would've done X-Men. Judging by the previews of Stardust I'm glad he didn't, however, it still doesn't make me feel any better when we see how horribly Fox, Ratner, Penn, and Kinberg ruined the third film in my opinion.

I don't think anyone ever bought Vaughn's excuse of "wanting to spend more time with his family."

So he admitted. Oh well, nothing new. I'm not sure he would have given a better/awesome X3, since the writers were the same, and lots of the problems of X3 were in the script. But if he had stayed, he might be stronger than Ratner and actually force some good changes. Still, he did not do it, and saying "I wanted to make it as good as X2" is easy to say. Not so easy to do (althoguh it was easy, given X2 perfectly set a wonderful X3 already. All you had to do was to follow the guides. It's actually amazing how they got to **** it up.)

Vaughn was the one in charge of the script that we ended up getting. I doubt he would have made any significant changes.

If anything, it was absolutley ridiculous things such as Wolverine carrying Leech around in a backback, that were REMOVED after Vaughn left!

Vaughn was the one in charge of the script that we ended up getting. I doubt he would have made any significant changes.

If anything, it was absolutley ridiculous things such as Wolverine carrying Leech around in a backback, that were REMOVED after Vaughn left!

It all depends on how Leech was portrayed. Had he been portrayed as his comic book counterpart it probably would've worked. The thought of Wolverine carrying a mutant around in a backpack reminds me of a lamer version of ET.

The one thing I did love about Vaughn's storyboards was his Danger Room concepts. I would've loved to have seen what style he had in mind with his Sentinels attacking Bobby and Kitty.

What could have been. :(

It all depends on how Leech was portrayed. Had he been portrayed as his comic book counterpart it probably would've worked. The thought of Wolverine carrying a mutant around in a backpack reminds me of a lamer version of ET.

The one thing I did love about Vaughn's storyboards was his Danger Room concepts. I would've loved to have seen what style he had in mind with his Sentinels attacking Bobby and Kitty.

His Danger Room concept was the worst idea of all time of anything ever.

Nah.. FOX and Brett have made worse.

Vaughn's X-3 couldn't have been worse than the one we got. Besides he did want to introduce Gambit and that is never a bad idea. X-3 should have had less no name mutans and more popular mutants. They introduced 4787849784784 mutants that didn't do anything the entire movie. And the movie was way too short.

Makes me sad, but who didn't know that that was the reason he dropped out? He probably would have had a great vision, much better than Ratner's. Layer Cake was really good, and Stardust has gotten some outstanding reviews so far.

Vaughn's X-3 couldn't have been worse than the one we got. Besides he did want to introduce Gambit and that is never a bad idea. X-3 should have had less no name mutans and more popular mutants. They introduced 4787849784784 mutants that didn't do anything the entire movie. And the movie was way too short.

There is no evidence showing that Vaughn wanted to introduce Gambit.

Everybody wants to introduce Gambit. It's just like saying "I want to make it as good as X2". These are just lines they know will please the majority of fans. Lines they know they must say to look pretty. No one from FOX or the producers will ever say Gambit sucks, even if they think so (and they most probably do)...

I'd like to have seen what Vaughn would have done with an X-movie. He was a fool to walk out like that.

I'm not sure I would have liked the cat-faced Beast (as in the 'Gifted' story). And Wolverine carrying Leech in a backpack is illogical - Leech would negate Wolverine's regenerative powers (which cause his healing factor and keep his senses super-sharp) and Wolverine would get metal poisoning from his adamantium if he didn't have a healing power...not sure how quick the metal poisoning would kick in though...

Of course we all knew he wasn't leaving for family reasons... but he still had a fair amount of time to do the movie at that point. It only became 'rushed' and expensive because he left!

Remember those Sideshow maquettes of Beast? That was what Vaughn had in mind for the design.

As for Gambit, he was in the original script that he had worked on with Kinberg and Penn. It wasn't until Ratner who came on and changed Gambit and Avalanche to Quill/Arclight. Which was only added because he is friends with those actors. What really pisses me off is the direction that Ratner chose in terms of choosing mutants. In the making of documentary, it shows Ratner choosing characters solely based on how cool their powers will look on film and not based on the characters themselves. If Vaughn had stayed we would've most definitely gotten Gambit and Avalanche.

Now I never heard of this Wolverine carrying Leech in a backpack thing. Can someone elaborate on this more?

Neither have I...

Remember those Sideshow maquettes of Beast? That was what Vaughn had in mind for the design.

As for Gambit, he was in the original script that he had worked on with Kinberg and Penn. It wasn't until Ratner who came on and changed Gambit and Avalanche to Quill/Arclight. Which was only added because he is friends with those actors. What really pisses me off is the direction that Ratner chose in terms of choosing mutants. In the making of documentary, it shows Ratner choosing characters solely based on how cool their powers will look on film and not based on the characters themselves. If Vaughn had stayed we would've most definitely gotten Gambit and Avalanche.

Now I never heard of this Wolverine carrying Leech in a backpack thing. Can someone elaborate on this more?

I didn't mind the use of characters like Quill and Arclight. And does it matter much that he chose characters based on visual effects? They weren't going to get much development either way.

I didn't mind the use of characters like Quill and Arclight. And does it matter much that he chose characters based on visual effects? They weren't going to get much development either way.

yeah, I know its not that big of deal. But what's the point of choosing characters based on powers if they are just gonna waste em with certain mutants like that Anole mutant who we have already seen as Toad and that teleporting mutant who we already saw as Nightcrawler? I mean how were they supposed to be visually interesting on film?

yeah, I know its not that big of deal. But what's the point of choosing characters based on powers if they are just gonna waste em with certain mutants like that Anole mutant who we have already seen as Toad and that teleporting mutant who we already saw as Nightcrawler? I mean how were they supposed to be visually interesting on film?

Yes, Anole was a waste of special effects. The teleporter - Vanisher - was just there as part of the Brotherhood (as Vanisher was in the comics) and as part of the first wave of attack - fliers, leapers, teleporters, agile animalistic mutants. But hardly necessary.

Ratner picked some actors because they were friends - Ken Leung was looking for work and so became Quill, and Omahyra became Arclight. I didn't mind Arclight. Avalanche is so powerful he'd be difficult to write into the story successfully as he could reduce everything to rubble without anyone's help. Quill was a waste. Psylocke was utterly wasted. This emphasis on 'visual coolness' and casting his friends in the movie is Ratner's MTV-style mindset showing in its worst way. :down

Regarding the Leech in a backpack, Vaughn had Wolverine running round slicing people at Alcatraz with Leech on his back negating the mutancy of whomever Logan was attacking.

So he admitted. Oh well, nothing new. I'm not sure he would have given a better/awesome X3, since the writers were the same, and lots of the problems of X3 were in the script. But if he had stayed, he might be stronger than Ratner and actually force some good changes. Still, he did not do it, and saying "I wanted to make it as good as X2" is easy to say. Not so easy to do (althoguh it was easy, given X2 perfectly set a wonderful X3 already. All you had to do was to follow the guides. It's actually amazing how they got to **** it up.)

Totally agreed, everytime i watch X2, i feel like crying, it is literally THE perfect set up for an awesome 3rd movie. I remember thinking to myself before X3 came out "You cant **** up that set up, you just cant" I was COMPLETELY wrong.

Shame Vaughn left though, it would have interesting to see his version.

BTW, whats the 'strike' thats coming up and he keeps mentioning in the interview.

Yes, Anole was a waste of special effects. The teleporter - Vanisher - was just there as part of the Brotherhood (as Vanisher was in the comics) and as part of the first wave of attack - fliers, leapers, teleporters, agile animalistic mutants. But hardly necessary.

Ratner picked some actors because they were friends - Ken Leung was looking for work and so became Quill, and Omahyra became Arclight. I didn't mind Arclight. Avalanche is so powerful he'd be difficult to write into the story successfully as he could reduce everything to rubble without anyone's help. Quill was a waste. Psylocke was utterly wasted. This emphasis on 'visual coolness' and casting his friends in the movie is Ratner's MTV-style mindset showing in its worst way. :down

Regarding the Leech in a backpack, Vaughn had Wolverine running round slicing people at Alcatraz with Leech on his back negating the mutancy of whomever Logan was attacking.

Well they could always downsize Avalanche's powers as was the case of Phoenix. Or hell, at least use Rictor.

Wow that backpack thing sounds really dumb. Where did you hear this? I dont remember reading about it in the script review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"