The Force Awakens Metacritic Reviews: The Force Awakens

Horhey

Sidekick
Reaction score
By comparison, Episode IV scored 92, Episode V scored 79, and Episode VI scored 52.

The Dark Knight scored 82, the Dark Knight Rises scored 78, the Avengers scored 69, Avengers: Age of Ultron scored 66, X-Men 2 scored 68, and X-Men: Days of Future Past scored 74.

In short, very few movies of any genre score above 80. Some of my favorite movies are in the 50s ("Mixed or Average reviews"). The Godfather is still #1 at 100 by critics and a 9.0 by users.

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Metascore

Universal acclaim

based on 44 Critics

1. Positive: 40 out of 44
  2. Mixed: 4 out of 44
  3. Negative: 0

Last edited:
If Rotten Tomatoes was Coke or Pepsi, isn't Metacritic like RC Cola?

thPulpFiction.gif

No one cares about Metacritic. RT foreva.

If Rotten Tomatoes was Coke or Pepsi, isn't Metacritic like RC Cola?

Last edited:
I actually agree with the critiques highlighted in red.

Prepare yourself — 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' backlash has begun

The seventh installment in the Star Wars franchise was met initially with near universal praise from audiences and critics alike. But now that the dust has settled, some writers are taking a second look at the film, analyzing its various plot holes and missed opportunities.

Here's what some of the critics are saying.

Warning: Spoilers ahead

Vice writer Brian Merchant says The Force Awakens is the "least interesting Star Wars yet, though he did add it's "far from the worst Star Wars movie".
"I’m not exactly delighted to be adding another branch to the Star Wars take tree. But the reviews are so effusive, success so roundly declared, I can’t help it. Because we’ve been played. We’ve been served up a pretty unoriginal reboot that adds few, if any, new ideas to our greatest commercial mythology. It’s the latest and maybe largest sign of a drift towards big screen sci-fi monoculture. And we’re lapping it up."
Washington Post writer Alyssa Rosenberg says the movie missed a major opportunity.
"While The Force Awakens is a hoot, it has a problem common to big action movies: villains who are not only dull, but also in this case, retreads of old ideas and dynamics. And The Force Awakens has less excuse than many other franchises not to do something great and smart with its core conflict."
Salon's Lili Loofbourow says the film has "glaring emotional blind spots."
"While some scenes are terrific, dynamic and beautifully paced — I’m thinking of the lightsaber duel and Poe and Finn’s first flight — the climax of the film asks the audience to project emotional resonance on a situation that has (and I cannot emphasize this enough) none. The Han-Ben relationship is among the emptiest I’ve ever been asked to mourn."
And The Huffington Post's Seth Abramson delved deep, rounding up the film's "40 unforgivable plot holes." Here are a few of them:

• "To blow up the 120-km 'Death Star' in Star Wars, the rebels needed detailed plans for the base and a full-scale invasion force — as well as the supernatural targeting skills of the most powerful Force-user in the galaxy. To destroy the exponentially larger and better-protected 'Starkiller Base' in The Force Awakens, all that was needed was a janitor with no special skills, a few run-of-the-mill handheld explosives, a couple not very difficult X-wing blaster strikes, and some moxie."
  • "The wily Han Solo loses track of his most prized possession, the Millennium Falcon, for more than a dozen years."
  • "Kylo Ren, a powerful Force-user, fights a light saber duel with an ex-janitor who has never held a light saber. ..."
  • "Rey becomes nearly as effective a Force-user in a few hours as Luke Skywalker did in a few years."
Yea remember, even by Episode V, Luke could barely Force pull his lightsaber from the snow.

Last edited:
I actually agree with the critiques highlighted in red.

Yea remember, even by Episode V, Luke could barely Force pull his lightsaber from the snow.

[Those points are not very good at all. Yes, he went against a trained Stormtrooper, who did sanitation, but was trained. However……did they not see the movie. Finn was defeated in like 5 seconds. He was brave, but let’s not act like he won the duel. Kylo was pretty much toying with him.

As for Rey we don’t know why she is so good at it. It’s pretty clear though with the title “The Force Awakens” means it was dormant in Rey. I think it’s obvious she is probably Luke’s daughter and had training prior on how to use the Force. I mean technically Luke used it too at the end of ANH. Just not in the way she did. And he only had just learned about it the day before. But it may indicate the Force is even stronger with her and more natural than it was with Luke. These are things that seem to be easily pointing to more of VIII and IX when you learn more about Rey.

The difference with the Starkiller base is it is clearly not as well equipped like the Death Star was to fight off an attack. It is clear the First Order is not like the Empire was at the height of its power. The Empire had such strength as did the Death Star. Finn knew about a major function of the Starkiller, that would make sense. I’m sure most on their know about the weapon. He worked sanitation but that does not mean they do not know what is going on, especially if they worked on the base for years. And Finn was taken as a child so who knows how long he’s been there. But in the end the Starkiller base had very few defenses outside of a shield. Compared to the amount of defense the Empire had in ROTJ was minimal and I think a visual reflection of the First Order not being as well equipped

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"