RottenTomato critic ratings for CBMs do you think are way too low?

Listen to the lyrics of the song. It's about a guy who's happy despite things going wrong, despite it raining. This is how Spider-Man is in the comics. His personal life as I explained sucks, but he says chipper and jokes around and is happy and content being the hero and living his life. However, in Spider-Man 2, Peter is immature and is actually in te exact opposite. It's rather disturbing. He is happy while the rain is the guy being mugged he walks by or the fire sirens his ignores. It's ok the world is going to hell because he's happy. That's the exact opposite of what a hero is. He's being selfish and naive. Later he grows into the hero and superhero from the comics.

And The Avengers is just as soap operatic. It's a group of people who don't get along for the sake of drama for the story who all conviantly come together at the end.

And the least you could do is give some kind of argument instead of 'no everything you thought out is wrong'. Hey critics agree it's the deepest non-Nolan superhero film. Id like a legit rebuttal with legit reasoning. Don't leave me hanging bro.

Leave who hanging?

Am I supposed to disprove your belief that the raindrops falling on my head montage was actually a deep psychological character study?

I'm hoping such elaborate yet empty arguments disprove themselves to anyone reading them.

But yeah, late rent, wishy washy girlfriend, etc are first world problems.

You seem to have no idea what first world problems are. First world problems refers to trivial concerns that the elite blow out of proportion as opposed to the real problems facing the majority in the world.

Peter losing his job, flunking out of school (probably with a ton of debt), being in danger of being evicted, and having his friends hate him are NOT trivial concerns.

I get really sick of people on the internet thinking that nobody has any real problems unless they are a poor starving kid in Africa and therefore aren't worthy of any sympathy or human dignity.

You seem to have no idea what first world problems are. First world problems refers to trivial concerns that the elite blow out of proportion as opposed to the real problems facing the majority in the world.

Peter losing his job, flunking out of school (probably with a ton of debt), being in danger of being evicted, and having his friends hate him are NOT trivial concerns.

I get really sick of people on the internet thinking that nobody has any real problems unless they are a poor starving kid in Africa and therefore aren't worthy of any sympathy or human dignity.

I think if people realized the concerns facing the the third world they'd realize their blessings actually overshadow their burdens.

and ultimately that makes for a happier and more grateful populous.

I sympathize with people in Peter Parker's position but I disagree with the amount of psychological depth such personal issues possibly convey.

I'm sure all the starving, homeless people in the United States would be much happier if they just realized the plights of starving, homeless people elsewhere. :whatever:

And that was potentially the reality facing Peter Parker. Aunt May couldn't afford to take care of him. She had to sell her house as it was. The only thing saving Peter from the streets was an understanding landlord that recognized that he was a good kid and the severity of his problems. Something that you apparently refuse to recognize.

And that's what makes the story in SM2 so powerful. He's not just some jerk refusing his responsibilities like Hal Jordan in Green Lantern. Being Spider-Man is ruining his life, even if he doesn't get killed in the line of duty, and he ultimately decides to soldier on anyways.

Where do The Avengers, save perhaps Banner, ever deal with problems like Peter Parker faces? A big part of Stark's character is that he doesn't even understand the problems real people face.

Last edited:
I don't care about Rotten Tomatoes at all. I've never cared about the consensus was. Some great movies that I love have low scores, others that I think are crap are lauded over.

If I were in charge and I could pick the percent, here's what I would do.

The Dark Knight. 100%
The Avengers. 100%
Spider-Man 2. 98 %
Iron Man. 98%
Superman (78). 95%
Batman 1989. 95%

Superman 2 89%
Batman Begins 85%
Batman Returns 85%
X2 83%
Spider-man 83%
Captain America 82%

Wathcmen 80%
Thor 80%
Iron Man 3 79%
Man of Steel 79%
X-men. 78%
X-Men First Class 77%

The Dark Knight Rises 70%
Spider-man 3 69%
Superman Returns 68%
Iron Man 2 65%
Blade 65%
Batman Forever 65%

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Incredible Hulk 64%
Daredevil. 62%
Batman and Robin 59%
The Amazing Spider-man 50%
Hulk. 50%
Blade 2. 50%

Fantastic Four. 50%
X-men 3. 49%
Wolverine. 27%
Fantastic Four 2 20%
The Punisher. 29%
Green Lantern. 15%

Ghost Rider. 12%
Punisher War Zone. 10%
Blade 3. 10%
Superman 3. 9%
Howard the Duck. 8%
Ghost Rider 2. 7%

Jonah Hex. 6%
Elektra. 4%
Catwoman. 3%
Superman 4. 2%
Supergirl. 1%

Last edited:
The Tomatometer isn't a grade. It is merely a percentage of what percentage of eligible critics gave the film a positive review. 50% doesn't mean that the film is average, it means that half of critics recommend it and half don't. That could mean it is mediocre, but could also mean it is extremely polarizing with half of them loving it and half hating it.

A lot of people on these boards seem to have little idea of what Rotten Tomatoes actually is supposed to do. Even if I happen to be in the minority when it comes to a film, RT isn't wrong. I might think the critics are wrong, but RT itself works exactly the way it is supposed to.

I don't. They didn't like it. Who cares? All that matters is if you did or not.

Well first, the film opens showing Peter's financial issues. It shows that the fact he is a hero is the reason he HAS financial issues. Not only is Peter sacrifice his physical well-being in battle for people, but he sacrifices his time which leads to poor grades, the inability to keep a consistent job and the lack of a social life. This shows us the true realities of being a hero. He literally sacrifices everything in his life, more than just the obvious physical sacrifice in battle. Its a very real life depiction of heroes. How many firefighters and police men miss their girlfriend's recital or the kids graduation because they are off being a hero. Its a stereotype in film, but a lot of cops get divorces simply because they don't have the time to put in their marriage because all of their life is consumed with being a hero. There is no off duty for them or for Spiderman. Its not fair. Its simply not fair. Peter has a great heart and every move he makes is for the greater good, the good for others and how does this cruel world repay him? By having the girl he loves thinks he's a jerk, by having his brilliance go to waste in school because he can't make class and he can't even pay his bills. With Great Power, comes great responsibility. And with Great Responsibility comes great sacrifice.

Peter's best friend believes Spiderman killed his father. He is disgusted by Spiderman and wants to kill him. And he lets this known to Peter. We see in the birthday party scene a glimpse of the terrible situation he is in in his relationship with Harry, his dearest friend. What can you do? You didn't kill his father. His father was trying to kill hundreds of people. But you can't tell him that either, no, that would devastate him. But its certainly not easy sitting quiet and hearing your best friend say these terrible things and build this strong hatred for you, even if he doesn't realize it is you. This is what Peter deals with with Harry.

So Spiderman puts unbelievable tension on Harry and Peter's relationship, pretty much ruins Peter and MJ's relationship and finally Peter asks, "why the hell am I doing this? Because I have great power. If only I didn't have great power...". Well the mind is a funny thing and psychologically through anxiety and whatever, Peter's powers quit working. He's free. At last! And its wonderful. He shines in school, patches up his relationship with MJ and seems unbelievably happy...because he IS happy. Thats the sad and disturbing part. The hero ISN'T happy. The hero ISN'T supposed to get everything right because thats against the nature of sacrifice, which is the essence of heroism. The most disturbing scene in the film is when Peter hears a siren and shrugs it off. He's happy. Raimi's got joyous music playing in the background and the audience doesn't go 'How dare he!'. Why? Because that IS us. The majority of us aren't heroes. We'd rather be happy than sacrifice. But Peter, deep down, is a hero, with or without powers. He sees the boy next door looking up to Spiderman. He's reminded by Aunt May why people need heroes and he hurts. He knows he's wrong. He even asks himself if he's not supposed to be happy. He shows his true heroic colors when he, without powers, goes and sacrifices his well being to save a little girl in a fire. He succeeds and feels good about himself until he finds out someone died in the fire.

So now Peter is stuck between a hard place and rock. What should he do? What will he do? It becomes apparent he is slowly realizing he is a hero and he will take that mantle upon himself regardless of the sacrifices and be the man he was born to be. BUT then MJ tells him she might love him in the caffee. Everything he ever wanted is right there for the taking. He would have never become Spiderman in the first place without MJ. Without MJ, he wouldn't have wanted a car so bad that he would of tried the wrestling challenge. Without that, Uncle Ben may still be living and Spiderman may not exist. Its right there for Peter. Peter's most heroic deed in the whole film is turning her away. He begins to tell her no, when Ock comes and Peter gets his powers back. Why? Not for the convenience of the plot. No, he got his powers back because the moment he turned down MJ was the moment he took up his place as a hero, as Spiderman. It was the moment he became a hero again. Therefore, he got his powers back. He became a stronger hero than ever before.

Thats why Spiderman 2 is deeper than The Avengers. Its a true character study. Its a true look at the real life sacrifices of being a hero. Nolanites will hate me for this, but I honestly believe, without Spiderman 2, there is no TDK. Raimi's Spiderman 2 was a pioneer for Nolan's series and began asking real questions about our heroes. Nolan took that and ran with it. Spiderman 2 is about the character of Peter Parker, Spiderman. The fact that it has great action sequences, like the train sequence, is just icing on the cake.

*applause*

I'm sure all the starving, homeless people in the United States would be much happier if they just realized the plights of starving, homeless people elsewhere. :whatever:

And that was potentially the reality facing Peter Parker. Aunt May couldn't afford to take care of him. She had to sell her house as it was. The only thing saving Peter from the streets was an understanding landlord that recognized that he was a good kid and the severity of his problems. Something that you apparently refuse to recognize.

And that's what makes the story in SM2 so powerful. He's not just some jerk refusing his responsibilities like Hal Jordan in Green Lantern. Being Spider-Man is ruining his life, even if he doesn't get killed in the line of duty, and he ultimately decides to soldier on anyways.

Where do The Avengers, save perhaps Banner, ever deal with problems like Peter Parker faces? A big part of Stark's character is that he doesn't even understand the problems real people face.

The individual members of Avengers face graver problems: indebted for life to a spy agency (Black Widow), being alive in a unrelateable/distant age (Cap), being forced to kill your allies/friends (Hawkeye), being a monster who can kill everyone around you (Hulk), having your brother rebel against you and try to destroy the world you vowed to protect (Thor), and distrusting the organization you take orders from with the fate of the world at stake.

but Peter Parker might have to move back in with Aunt May and find a new girlfriend! The horror!

Well first, the film opens showing Peter's financial issues. It shows that the fact he is a hero is the reason he HAS financial issues. Not only is Peter sacrifice his physical well-being in battle for people, but he sacrifices his time which leads to poor grades, the inability to keep a consistent job and the lack of a social life. This shows us the true realities of being a hero. He literally sacrifices everything in his life, more than just the obvious physical sacrifice in battle. Its a very real life depiction of heroes. How many firefighters and police men miss their girlfriend's recital or the kids graduation because they are off being a hero. Its a stereotype in film, but a lot of cops get divorces simply because they don't have the time to put in their marriage because all of their life is consumed with being a hero. There is no off duty for them or for Spiderman. Its not fair. Its simply not fair. Peter has a great heart and every move he makes is for the greater good, the good for others and how does this cruel world repay him? By having the girl he loves thinks he's a jerk, by having his brilliance go to waste in school because he can't make class and he can't even pay his bills. With Great Power, comes great responsibility. And with Great Responsibility comes great sacrifice.

Peter's best friend believes Spiderman killed his father. He is disgusted by Spiderman and wants to kill him. And he lets this known to Peter. We see in the birthday party scene a glimpse of the terrible situation he is in in his relationship with Harry, his dearest friend. What can you do? You didn't kill his father. His father was trying to kill hundreds of people. But you can't tell him that either, no, that would devastate him. But its certainly not easy sitting quiet and hearing your best friend say these terrible things and build this strong hatred for you, even if he doesn't realize it is you. This is what Peter deals with with Harry.

So Spiderman puts unbelievable tension on Harry and Peter's relationship, pretty much ruins Peter and MJ's relationship and finally Peter asks, "why the hell am I doing this? Because I have great power. If only I didn't have great power...". Well the mind is a funny thing and psychologically through anxiety and whatever, Peter's powers quit working. He's free. At last! And its wonderful. He shines in school, patches up his relationship with MJ and seems unbelievably happy...because he IS happy. Thats the sad and disturbing part. The hero ISN'T happy. The hero ISN'T supposed to get everything right because thats against the nature of sacrifice, which is the essence of heroism. The most disturbing scene in the film is when Peter hears a siren and shrugs it off. He's happy. Raimi's got joyous music playing in the background and the audience doesn't go 'How dare he!'. Why? Because that IS us. The majority of us aren't heroes. We'd rather be happy than sacrifice. But Peter, deep down, is a hero, with or without powers. He sees the boy next door looking up to Spiderman. He's reminded by Aunt May why people need heroes and he hurts. He knows he's wrong. He even asks himself if he's not supposed to be happy. He shows his true heroic colors when he, without powers, goes and sacrifices his well being to save a little girl in a fire. He succeeds and feels good about himself until he finds out someone died in the fire.

So now Peter is stuck between a hard place and rock. What should he do? What will he do? It becomes apparent he is slowly realizing he is a hero and he will take that mantle upon himself regardless of the sacrifices and be the man he was born to be. BUT then MJ tells him she might love him in the caffee. Everything he ever wanted is right there for the taking. He would have never become Spiderman in the first place without MJ. Without MJ, he wouldn't have wanted a car so bad that he would of tried the wrestling challenge. Without that, Uncle Ben may still be living and Spiderman may not exist. Its right there for Peter. Peter's most heroic deed in the whole film is turning her away. He begins to tell her no, when Ock comes and Peter gets his powers back. Why? Not for the convenience of the plot. No, he got his powers back because the moment he turned down MJ was the moment he took up his place as a hero, as Spiderman. It was the moment he became a hero again. Therefore, he got his powers back. He became a stronger hero than ever before.

Thats why Spiderman 2 is deeper than The Avengers. Its a true character study. Its a true look at the real life sacrifices of being a hero. Nolanites will hate me for this, but I honestly believe, without Spiderman 2, there is no TDK. Raimi's Spiderman 2 was a pioneer for Nolan's series and began asking real questions about our heroes. Nolan took that and ran with it. Spiderman 2 is about the character of Peter Parker, Spiderman. The fact that it has great action sequences, like the train sequence, is just icing on the cake.

This post is just beautiful :up:

Who says Dent is above playing hardball. Ask Lao. Dent keeps threatening to have him killed by sending him to county jail. So does Rachel, btw. Is she mentally unbalanced as well?

That was an empty verbal threat they did within legal boundaries in Police HQ. They'd be perfectly within their rights to send him to County. It's hardly the same as kidnapping him in ambulance, tying him up in an alley, and threatening him with a gun.

Not really. They are both playing it straight.

Very different ways. Take your bad analogy above. Saying he'll be sent to County compared to abducting him and terrorizing him with a gun.

And I never said you called Dent a monster. I said that if this is how you see what Dent was doing then Jack Bauer must really be one step away from being a full blown monster/super villain.

That's the same thing. I never called Dent one step away from being a full blown super villain or a monster either. I said if he's willing to throw everything out the window and kidnap a suspect in an ambulance and terrorize him with a gun, then imagine what he would be capable of if someone he loved was murdered and he was horribly disfigured.

And Gordon warned him right back about the same issue in Dent's own office. Et tu, Dente'?

It wasn't the people in his office who delivered him and Rachel to the Joker's men. It was the dirty Cops he warned Gordon about.

Nero was a romulan who's planet was threatened by a supernova. Spock tried to help but arrived too late and Nero's planet was destroyed along with his wife who was on it. Now Nero wants revenge on Spock for failing to help in time even though he tried.

Then it's not the same situation is it, because Nero never warned Spock about it when he could have done something about it, and Spock didn't.

Thanks for clarifying my suspicions.

How are going on a murder spree and taking someone who was already in your custody and scaring them(which he already had shown the willingness to do with Lao) even remotely equivalent? I can't see many people at all doing the former but I can see a helluva lot of people being willing to do the latter if it's to save a loved one's life.

Because what he did with Lau was all legal and above board. He had every right to send him to County. He had no legal right to kidnap a suspect in an ambulance, tied him up, and terrorize him with a gun.

As if you needed that pointed out to you.

You go out of your way to use the words abduction and terrorize. Why not say Rachel was terrorizing Lao? Is she on the verge of insanity?

Because she wasn't. She said he'd go to County. That's fine and legal. She didn't tie him down against his will, shoot a gun around him, point it at his forehead, scream and yell death threats in his face, make him think she's going to murder him etc.

Batman abducts Lao. Is he on the verge of snapping?

Did Batman abduct Lau to terrorize the guy, and put everything he fought for on the line to do it? No. He delivered him to the law.

It's scare tactics upon a criminal that law enforcement already had in custody.

Really this again? Whipping your child repeatedly with a belt and giving them a little slap on the bottom is both forms of spanking your kid, but one is much more cruel and extreme than the other.

The same as saying you're sending a guy to a jail, and kidnapping him, tying him up, and terrorizing him with a gun. Both forms of scare tactics, but one is more extreme, not to mention illegal. Dent was a straight arrow up to this point when it came to his legal tactics. The moment Rachel was threatened, he threw it out the window. That's the whole point of that scene. It's showing that if he's capable of doing this based on a verbal threat, then who knows what else he is capable of if something even worse happened to him.

Last edited:
The individual members of Avengers face graver problems: indebted for life to a spy agency (Black Widow), being alive in a unrelateable/distant age (Cap), being forced to kill your allies/friends (Hawkeye), being a monster who can kill everyone around you (Hulk), having your brother rebel against you and try to destroy the world you vowed to protect (Thor), and distrusting the organization you take orders from with the fate of the world at stake.

but Peter Parker might have to move back in with Aunt May and find a new girlfriend! The horror!

Those are fantastic problems like Peter being possessed by an alien and having his best friend try and kill him and his girlfriend.

It is Peter Parker's everyday problems that allow the audience to relate to him.

The fact that Dent takes Schiff to a dark alley to threaten him with a pistol speaks volumes.

How someone doesn't see the difference between the threat of sending someone to county jail vs. abducting, blind folding, and threatening someone with a brandished pistol is baffling.

As for Dent's descent into madness, while I agree that they could/should have spent more time on it, I do buy his turn. I think there were WAAAAAY more underlying issues with Dent than the film lets on. I mean, lets face it, Bruce knew Rachel for most of his life, they go waaaaaaaaay back. Bruce loses her and he doesn't snap. How long did Dent know Rachel. A few months? A year tops? Look what happens when she's threatened, he kidnaps and threatens a man. His turn shouldn't be surprising when she actually perishes.

I also like the little things like the MCU already having problems with him and calling him "Harvey Two-Face". Not everyone bought into his attitude or thought he was a cavalier White Knight. There's also the nice little nod to the comics with Dent stating that it was his father's lucky coin. In some interpretations, Dent's father beat him mercilessly when he was a child. Like I stated, I think there were underlying issues already there, the film just doesn't delve into them.

Dent and Dent's descent into madness in The Dark Knight was as good as it was going to get in a one off, 153 minute film. A film that also juggles other characters like Batman, The Joker, Gordon and all the secondary and minor characters.

*Spider-Man

Leave who hanging?

Am I supposed to disprove your belief that the raindrops falling on my head montage was actually a deep psychological character study?

I'm hoping such elaborate yet empty arguments disprove themselves to anyone reading them.

The fact that you won't even attempt to defend your opinion is pretty lame and makes me think you CAN'T defend your opinion. What is the point of coming on a discussion board to discuss these films it you won't discuss the films? Film theory states there are no wrong interpretations of film if you can defend your opinion with evidence from the film yet you won't. Why are you on the boards? I'm not trying to be mean. I'm confused. All you can state is ' first world problems'.... Ok. Well Peter dealt with REAL problems. Real problems are a threat and make more statements about our world and make the work of art more relevant. Not only are The Avengers problems not real or relatable, the film doesn't even get creative to use its grand spectacles to make statements on our world like LOTR and other great works of art have accomplished.

The fact that Dent takes Schiff to a dark alley to threaten him with a pistol speaks volumes.

How someone doesn't see the difference between the threat of sending someone to county jail vs. abducting, blind folding, and threatening someone with a brandished pistol is baffling.

As for Dent's descent into madness, while I agree that they could/should have spent more time on it, I do buy his turn. I think there were WAAAAAY more underlying issues with Dent than the film lets on. I mean, lets face it, Bruce knew Rachel for most of his life, they go waaaaaaaaay back. Bruce loses her and he doesn't snap. How long did Dent know Rachel. A few months? A year tops? Look what happens when she's threatened, he kidnaps and threatens a man. His turn shouldn't be surprising when she actually perishes.

I also like the little things like the MCU already having problems with him and calling him "Harvey Two-Face". Not everyone bought into his attitude or thought he was a cavalier White Knight. There's also the nice little nod to the comics with Dent stating that it was his father's lucky coin. In some interpretations, Dent's father beat him mercilessly when he was a child. Like I stated, I think there were underlying issues already there, the film just doesn't delve into them.

Dent and Dent's descent into madness in The Dark Knight was as good as it was going to get in a one off, 153 minute film. A film that also juggles other characters like Batman, The Joker, Gordon and all the secondary and minor characters.

Thank you :up:

The fact that you won't even attempt to defend your opinion is pretty lame and makes me think you CAN'T defend your opinion. What is the point of coming on a discussion board to discuss these films it you won't discuss the films? Film theory states there are no wrong interpretations of film if you can defend your opinion with evidence from the film yet you won't. Why are you on the boards? I'm not trying to be mean. I'm confused. All you can state is ' first world problems'.... Ok. Well Peter dealt with REAL problems. Real problems are a threat and make more statements about our world and make the work of art more relevant. Not only are The Avengers problems not real or relatable, the film doesn't even get creative to use its grand spectacles to make statements on our world like LOTR and other great works of art have accomplished.

Yes Peter Parker's problems are real but their minor compared the problems facing individual Avenger members.

Black Widow alone is Atlas, with the entire world on her shoulders, compared to Peter Parker's love and money troubles.

Her entire life she has known nothing but the life of a hardened field spy, SHIELD basically blackmails her to do their dirty work, much of the time she has to babysit a walking atomic bomb called the Hulk, her only friend is trying to kill her and he happens to be the deadliest archer alive and she has to stay alive fighting a planetary invasion along side gods who can shatter mountains.

Tell me again about Peter Parker's late rent.

Yes Peter Parker's problems are real but their minor compared the problems facing individual Avenger members.

Black Widow alone is Atlas, with the entire world on her shoulders, compared to Peter Parker's love and money troubles.

Her entire life she has known nothing but the life of a hardened field spy, SHIELD basically blackmails her to do their dirty work, much of the time she has to babysit a walking atomic bomb called the Hulk, her only friend is trying to kill her and he happens to be the deadliest archer alive and she has to stay alive fighting a planetary invasion along side gods who can shatter mountains.

Tell me again about Peter Parker's late rent.

Ok Ok. I think I've gotten it now. You think deep = big. Thats not always the case. In fact, its often the opposite. Citizen Kane is much deeper film and character study than any superhero film and there are no aliens, no massive wars. Last year's 'The Master' was coined almost an exclusive character study because the plot itself is extremely minor and unimportant to the film. It dives deep into Freddie Quell, again, way deeper than any superhero film and Freddie doesn't fight aliens or save the world. Its very small, personal. Thats often when you get deeper stories. Like Whedon said regarding Avengers 2 and making it smaller and more personal to make it better than the first. Spiderman 2 is a deeper film, a character study as I've said. The Avengers's problems may be greater in scale, but the audience doesn't feel it. We don't get to know these problems in a personal way like you would in a character study. If We had 35 minutes divided to Black Widow to deal with these issues you mention, we'd care more and the film would be deeper. BUT thats no possible with The Avengers because it has multiple protagonists. And Thats ok. The first Avengers films doesn't need to do that. The second needs to improve on that and Whedon agrees, again pointing to his statement on making The Avengers 2 smaller and more personal.

That was an empty verbal threat they did within legal boundaries in Police HQ. They'd be perfectly within their rights to send him to County. It's hardly the same as kidnapping him in ambulance, tying him up in an alley, and threatening him with a gun.

So a verbal threat that you're somehow sure is empty about putting the guy in a situation where there is certainty that he'll be murdered is A-OK as long as it's legal? And how do we know it was an empty threat? They actually had the legal right to do that. Now Dent and Schiff in the alley we do know was an empty threat based on knowing the coin is 2-headed and knowing that Dent knows this.

Very different ways. Take your bad analogy above. Saying he'll be sent to County compared to abducting him and terrorizing him with a gun.

What are you talking about? I was saying that Heat and TDK are both playing it straight. Neither is doing a Burton and trying to be a live action cartoon. 24 and Jack Bauer is playing it straight a well. And you're saying an obvious bluff in the alley is worse than a real threat in the police station simply because the former is illegal and the latter isn't?

]That's the same thing. I never called Dent one step away from being a full blown super villain or a monster either. I said if he's willing to throw everything out the window and kidnap a suspect in an ambulance and terrorize him with a gun, then imagine what he would be capable of if someone he loved was murdered and he was horribly disfigured.

If at any time he was actually out of control during the alley scene then maybe you'd have a point. But he isn't. He's desperate and willing to go further than he otherwise would have, jeopardizing his career and the good that he's done in putting away criminals who would be released(which on a side note is another thing in this movie that makes utterly no sense because the legal system doesn't work that way, but I digress) but that's as far as it goes. He's willing to sacrifice for her so she can live. Not crazy or unstable at all. Illegal? Sure, but illegality isn't the basis of a shortcoming that would lead to full blown insanity.

It wasn't the people in his office who delivered him and Rachel to the Joker's men. It was the dirty Cops he warned Gordon about.

The corruption is still as much on Dent's head as on Gordon's. He even counts himself among the 3 responsible parties during the end when he's flipping his coin. But what I don't buy is that he would buy the Joke's line of BS in the hospital. What believably would have happened in that scene is that as soon as Joker handed him the gun Dent would have drilled him straight in the eye with it. The whole chance thing becoming his mantra makes little to no sense w/o some serious mental heath breakdown to trigger it and I don't see how a guy who never lost control before suddenly will now. He's not the only character who's ever lost a loved one nor is the first who's ever been disfigured. His turn ultimately happens because well he's Harvey Dent and he's supposed to become Two Face, so he does when the movie needs him too. It's by no means the worst offender in this movie but it's indicative of a systemic issue that runs through the whole film. When the movie needs A to lead to B, it happens whether the movie has adequately set it up to make sense or not. Mostly not.

Then it's not the same situation is it, because Nero never warned Spock about it when he could have done something about it, and Spock didn't.

Thanks for clarifying my suspicions.

It is pretty much the same because "he's lost his mind" is about the only way I've ever heard defenders try to justify it in both films. The 'he's crazy therefore nothing he does needs to make sense from a standpoint of motivation' is and has always been a lazy excuse for having any character act in a way that is out of character. Even though Dent warned Gordon, Dent KNOWS Gordon is trying to do the right thing and help him. Nero knows this about Spock as well. Yet both go bananas when they are let down and try to kill the person who was trying to help them(or, in Gordon's case, his family that he knows are completely innocent of any involvement).

Because what he did with Lau was all legal and above board. He had every right to send him to County. He had no legal right to kidnap a suspect in an ambulance, tied him up, and terrorize him with a gun.

As if you needed that pointed out to you.

Why does it always come down to legality with you. As long as something is legal it's ok? What about slavery? That was legal once. And you're dodging my question. How can you compare what Dent did in the alley with straight up murder?

Because she wasn't. She said he'd go to County. That's fine and legal. She didn't tie him down against his will, shoot a gun around him, point it at his forehead, scream and yell death threats in his face, make him think she's going to murder him etc.

No, she just looked the other way to him being kidnapped from a foreign country(very illegal) and threatens him with a situation that both she and he knows means certain death(going to county). Compare that with the big act that Dent puts on for Schiff in order to try and intimidate him into talking. And it is an act he's putting on. It's a bluff as has been said before. As I said originally, the bluff aspect of this takes all the teeth out of it. If Dent really was out of control then it'd be different.

Did Batman abduct Lau to terrorize the guy, and put everything he fought for on the line to do it? No. He delivered him to the law. He was doing it to take down the whole mob, too.

No he just delivered him to others who would do the threatening/terrorizing. But apparently in your mind it's the legality that's really important. Well, this was highly illegal.

Really this again? Whipping your child repeatedly with a belt and giving them a little slap on the bottom is both forms of spanking your kid, but one is much more cruel and extreme than the other.

The same as saying you're sending a guy to a jail, and kidnapping him, tying him up, and terrorizing him with a gun. Both forms of scare tactics, but one is more extreme, not to mention illegal. Dent was a straight arrow up to this point when it came to his legal tactics. The moment Rachel was threatened, he threw it out the window. That's the whole point of that scene. It's showing that if he's capable of doing this based on a verbal threat, then who knows what else he is capable of if something even worse happened to him.

Ah, I agree that his adherence to strict legal tactics is out the window but that doesn't mean diddley squat regarding the state of his mental health which seems to still be fine with him in complete control of his faculties. So how does this help foreshadow his slip to insanity later in the film? It doesn't, IMO. Again, they're asking us to accept 1+1+1=4

A crucial component is missing.

It says that Dent is willing to break the rules and risk his career and work up till that point to ensure a loved one's well being. That's about it. It doesn't mean Dent is a time bomb ready to go off. Not even close.

One is a threat with actual teeth(death at county jail). The other is a bluff. How could you miss that?

Bruce losing her to another guy and Rachel being targeted for assassination aren't even in the same ball park. They're not even in the same sport. And again, Dent broke the rules but he never lost control. We needed to see his control slip. It never did for even a moment.

I don't know about all that outside the film stuff. I'm just going by what the movie gave me. And it's telling that BTAS made it make more sense in 20 minutes than this film could manage in 153.

Ok Ok. I think I've gotten it now. You think deep = big. Thats not always the case. In fact, its often the opposite. Citizen Kane is much deeper film and character study than any superhero film and there are no aliens, no massive wars. Last year's 'The Master' was coined almost an exclusive character study because the plot itself is extremely minor and unimportant to the film. It dives deep into Freddie Quell, again, way deeper than any superhero film and Freddie doesn't fight aliens or save the world. Its very small, personal. Thats often when you get deeper stories. Like Whedon said regarding Avengers 2 and making it smaller and more personal to make it better than the first. Spiderman 2 is a deeper film, a character study as I've said. The Avengers's problems may be greater in scale, but the audience doesn't feel it. We don't get to know these problems in a personal way like you would in a character study. If We had 35 minutes divided to Black Widow to deal with these issues you mention, we'd care more and the film would be deeper. BUT thats no possible with The Avengers because it has multiple protagonists. And Thats ok. The first Avengers films doesn't need to do that. The second needs to improve on that and Whedon agrees, again pointing to his statement on making The Avengers 2 smaller and more personal.

I see what your saying in regards to scope but I wasn't necessarily suggesting that because Black Widow's problems are "bigger" they're any less personal.

and I really don't believe SM2 works as a character study.

Movies I consider characters studies involve extreme situations that force the character to expose their very soul: American Beauty, One Flew over the Cukoos Nest,Taxi Driver, Boogie Nights , Malcolm X, The Assassination of Jesse James, and one of my favorites The Truman Show.

Even if SM2 qualified under my criteria technically, I still wouldn't consider SM2 a very insightful character study. Like I said before, the drama is mostly soap opera territory.

The only thing I can see Kedrell is the gripe you have with Dent blaming Gordon. I always had trouble buying into that.

I buy Dent's turn and descent into madness, I don't really buy the Joker tainting him with his talk of "plans" and Dent going after Gordon. In fact, it doesn't even take Joker's speech to set Dent off, he planned on making Gordon suffer prior to his meeting with Joker at the hospital with his "you're not sorry, not yet" line.

I mean yeah, initially, Gordon didn't look into the corrupt cops that he had in his unit that Dent was wary of. Lets remember though, neither did Dent when Gordon had the same suspicions ("don't try to cloud the fact that Maroni's clearly got people in your office, Dent").

Dent knew the risks, he says as much. He also knew that Gordon sincerely did the best he could with what he had. It's a little selfish of Dent to gun after Gordon's family and think he's the only one who "lost everything". I like Batman's line in that scene because it's the truth, Dent wasn't the only one. His logic in the end is completely flawed. The fact that he turns his gun on Jimmy Gordon with that grin on his face doesn't really make me sympathize with the character like I would with say the BTAS Two-Face.

The whole thing with manipulating the scenario so he could kill Maroni (by killing his driver) or Gordon's son (after Batman and Gordon plead with him) just feels wrong. He's clearly a clear cut, nonredeemable villain, which I guess is sort of the point. He's far too gone and needed to be put down.

I can see going after Maroni, Wuertz and Ramirez but as soon as he kidnaps Gordon's family, he needs to go. Gordon wasn't in the wrong. In the beginning of the film when Batman and Gordon were tackling the mob, Dent wanted in. Batman and Gordon were suspicious of him at first, but then agree to let him in the partnership. That was Dent's choice to be in the line of fire. Gordon puts his life on the line, he saves Dent in the police convoy, he does his best to save Rachel (whom he didn't even know he was going after by the way). I just never understood how Dent could have the nerve to blame Gordon when,

1. There was corruption all over Gotham

2. Gordon was Dent's partner along with Batman, clearly a force for good

3. Gordon thought he was going after Dent, not Rachel. Batman was the one that thought he was going after Rachel but Joker switched the addresses

I don't think, "well, you didn't get rid of Wuertz and Ramirez" is enough motivation to shift the blame on Gordon and his family. Certainly not enough to harm his family and take away a loved one. The whole logic behind that is skewed, there's nothing "fair" about what he was doing and it really wasn't chance when you consider if it came up tails, he'd just find another way to hurt Gordon like he did with Maroni.

To make matters even worse. He totally understands that he was duped by the Joker when Batman tells him that he (the Joker) wanted to prove someone as "good" as Dent could fall. At that point, Dent should have dropped the gun and surrendered or blew himself away. I don't care what he might have tried to accomplish before, he's pretty damn despicable.

I also never got his line about Gordon, "Making his deal with the devil". Not sure what that means, Gordon was hardly corrupt.

Last edited:
I see what your saying in regards to scope but I wasn't necessarily suggesting that because Black Widow's problems are "bigger" they're any less personal.

and I really don't believe SM2 works as a character study.

Movies I consider characters studies involve extreme situations that force the character to expose their very soul: American Beauty, One Flew over the Cukoos Nest,Taxi Driver, Boogie Nights , Malcolm X, The Assassination of Jesse James, and one of my favorites The Truman Show.

Even if SM2 qualified under my criteria technically, I still wouldn't consider SM2 a very insightful character study. Like I said before, the drama is mostly soap opera territory.

Well comics share many of the same basic roots as soap operas. They are both focused on ongoing episodic stories that intertwine multiple characters who cross paths multiple times. Both mediums are focused on an ever going storyline that never really ends, which leads to both soap operas and comics being famous for 'killing' off characters only for them to return again.

However, the actual story lines of soap operas deal with family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts that revolve around a nucleus core of characters that often interact with each other day-to-day which is why most soaps focus on the workplace. Soap Operas also tend to focus on the wealthy and glamorous and 'inapropriate' romances such as secret romances and affairs and such. Soap Operas are focused on groups of characters, not individual characters, so in that regard, The Avengers is closer to a soap than Spiderman 2. None of the common 'soap' topics are in Spiderman 2, so its drama can't be 'soap opera' drama. And yes, Spiderman 2 easily qualifies under your criteria.

But hey, we actually are having a more interesting discussion! Disagree with me all you want, but I'd much rather get stuff more like your last few posts than some of your previous one liners. Often times you get greater and different insights on a film by discussing it with someone who has an opposite view on it. Sorry if I came off harsh. I was just trying to get you to expand on your opinion.

So a verbal threat that you're somehow sure is empty about putting the guy in a situation where there is certainty that he'll be murdered is A-OK as long as it's legal?

Yes. You're not breaking ethics or doing anything risky here. Unlike what Dent did with Schiff.

And how do we know it was an empty threat? They actually had the legal right to do that.

Gordon: "He can't go to County. I'll keep him here in the holding cells"

They never had any intention of sending him there. They knew he'd be dead if he did, but Lau didn't know they were bluffing and that's what they were counting on. It worked.

What are you talking about? I was saying that Heat and TDK are both playing it straight. Neither is doing a Burton and trying to be a live action cartoon.

I don't know why you keep comparing it to Burton. I know you said they were playing it straight, but there's nothing straight about the way Dent did it. Or do you know of many D.A.'s who did what he did?

And you're saying an obvious bluff in the alley is worse than a real threat in the police station simply because the former is illegal and the latter isn't?

No, I'm saying making a legal bluff is nothing compared to actually breaking the law and risking everything.

If at any time he was actually out of control during the alley scene then maybe you'd have a point. But he isn't. He's desperate and willing to go further than he otherwise would have, jeopardizing his career and the good that he's done in putting away criminals who would be released(which on a side note is another thing in this movie that makes utterly no sense because the legal system doesn't work that way, but I digress) but that's as far as it goes. He's willing to sacrifice for her so she can live. Not crazy or unstable at all. Illegal? Sure, but illegality isn't the basis of a shortcoming that would lead to full blown insanity.

Again you miss the point. If he is willing to ruin his career, face prison himself for kidnapping, and release 549 dangerous criminals back on the streets of Gotham just because Rachel was threatened, then imagine how far he would go if something worse happened.

Do you get it now?

The corruption is still as much on Dent's head as on Gordon's. He even counts himself among the 3 responsible parties during the end when he's flipping his coin.

Right. He blames himself as much as the others. That's why he puts the gun to his own head, too. What's your point?

But what I don't buy is that he would buy the Joke's line of BS in the hospital. What believably would have happened in that scene is that as soon as Joker handed him the gun Dent would have drilled him straight in the eye with it.

How do you know what would believably have happened in a situation where you're mind is shattered from death of a loved one and a horrid facial disfigurement? You have no friggin idea how anyone would handle something like that mentally. They could be vengeful, suicidal, have a complete mental shut down etc.

The whole chance thing becoming his mantra makes little to no sense w/o some serious mental heath breakdown to trigger it and I don't see how a guy who never lost control before suddenly will now.

His chance mantra was based on what happened to him and Rachel. 50/50 on who lived and who died. He was giving all his victims the same chance they had. He was making his victims face the same horrible situation he had.

Pretty straight forward. It's not the movie's fault you didn't see that.

It is pretty much the same because "he's lost his mind" is about the only way I've ever heard defenders try to justify it in both films.

Insanity over extreme loss and pain is unbelievable to you? You should visit an asylum or psychiatric ward some time.

The 'he's crazy therefore nothing he does needs to make sense from a standpoint of motivation' is and has always been a lazy excuse for having any character act in a way that is out of character.

But it's not out of character. That's the whole point. You already got a prelude to the extremes he'd go to just over a simple threat.

I can't speak for this Nero character because I haven't seen him, but based on your perception of these characters I'd say you're probably really dumbing him down.

Even though Dent warned Gordon, Dent KNOWS Gordon is trying to do the right thing and help him.

That's not the issue for Dent. To him it's because he warned Gordon, Gordon did nothing about it, and Dent paid the price for Gordon's lack of action. That's why he was pissed when Gordon was suddenly so concerned about knowing which men he could trust. The damage had already been done as far as Dent was concerned.

Why does it always come down to legality with you. As long as something is legal it's ok?

Because there's big difference between the situations and legality has a huge bearing on it. Nothing would happen by threatening to send Lau to County. But with what Dent did with Schiff he could go to jail on kidnapping charges, have 549 criminals unleashed back on Gotham, and probably end up dead himself in jail.

You keep comparing that to a bluff about sending Lau to County. It's a hilariously bad comparison.

No, she just looked the other way to him being kidnapped from a foreign country(very illegal) and threatens him with a situation that both she and he knows means certain death(going to county).

She looked the other way to a criminal who fled the country being brought back and facing up to the consequences of the damage he did while in Gotham. The only consequences that can come from that is Lau will sing and they'll cut off the mob's money.

Do I have to run through the really bad consequences that would happen in Dent's situation with Schiff again?

No he just delivered him to others who would do the threatening/terrorizing. But apparently in your mind it's the legality that's really important. Well, this was highly illegal.

Sigh. Again they had no intention of sending him to County. Gordon revealed that. They were never going to send him to certain death. They were pulling a bluff to get him to talk.

End of story.

Ah, I agree that his adherence to strict legal tactics is out the window but that doesn't mean diddley squat regarding the state of his mental health which seems to still be fine with him in complete control of his faculties.

Really you don't think any mental irrationality comes into play from a man who decides to abduct someone, terrorize them with a gun, face the prospect of prison time, and the release of over 500 dangerous criminals all because of a threat?

Harvey could have just told Rachel to get out of Gotham and go somewhere until it was safe. His reaction was totally over the top and a prelude to the extremes he's willing to go to just because someone he cared about was threatened. So that poses the question that if he's willing to do that just over a mere threat, then imagine what he would do if something worse happened.

2+2=4

Yes. You're not breaking ethics or doing anything risky here. Unlike what Dent did with Schiff.

Gordon: "He can't go to County. I'll keep him here in the holding cells"

They never had any intention of sending him there. They knew he'd be dead if he did, but Lau didn't know they were bluffing and that's what they were counting on. It worked.

Yes, you're right in that they did say that. Been 5 years since I saw the film last. My bad on forgetting that bit.

But they still DO in fact have the legal right to make good on that threat, if they ever chose to. That is one thing different than the alley scene, which was also just as much a bluff.

I don't know why you keep comparing it to Burton. I know you said they were playing it straight, but there's nothing straight about the way Dent did it. Or do you know of many D.A.'s who did what he did?

I'm using Burton as an example of a movie that doesn't play it straight. It's a live action cartoon with rules to match. Just for the sake of perspective so you know what I mean when I say movies like this and Heat are in fact playing it straight. I thought that was obvious.

No, I'm saying making a legal bluff is nothing compared to actually breaking the law and risking everything.

In what sense? Legally? Sure, I'm with you on that. But if you're saying the former is in line with sanity while the latter is indicative of an instability that leads to insanity...well, I think that's too great a leap. Again, it's missing something very important. It's 1+1+1=4 again. Because against the book as he was in that scene, Dent was still 100% sane and in control in that scene. That's why he had the mental where with all to use his 2 headed coin the way he did.

Again you miss the point. If he is willing to ruin his career, face prison himself for kidnapping, and release 549 dangerous criminals back on the streets of Gotham just because Rachel was threatened, then imagine how far he would go if something worse happened.

Do you get it now?

Given how human psychology works that still doesn't add up. I can buy that he might go vigilante after what happened as an escalation for what happens to him. That's not a 180. That's just his own beliefs pushed to their extreme. But that's not just what he does. He does the 180. That takes something else like a psychological breakdown or insanity.

Right. He blames himself as much as the others. That's why he puts the gun to his own head, too. What's your point?

The point is that if he has the mental acuity to recognize his own hand in her demise, why doesn't he realize that Gordon wasn't trying to do him wrong? He just failed is all. Oh yeah, he's crazy now and that covers a multitude of screenwriting sins.

How do you know what would believably have happened in a situation where you're mind is shattered from death of a loved one and a horrid facial disfigurement? You have no friggin idea how anyone would handle something like that mentally. They could be vengeful, suicidal, have a complete mental shut down etc.

Because loads of people handle tragedy every day all over the world without going nuts. It takes something special to go nuts. Human sanity isn't as fragile as this film would have you believe.

His chance mantra was based on what happened to him and Rachel. 50/50 on who lived and who died. He was giving all his victims the same chance they had. He was making his victims face the same horrible situation he had.

Pretty straight forward. It's not the movie's fault you didn't see that.

I got what they were doing, I just think it's too great a leap in logic.

Insanity over extreme loss and pain is unbelievable to you? You should visit an asylum or psychiatric ward some time.

How many 9/11 survivors permanently went nuts? I doubt any of them did. And if they did it'd be likely they already had a condition that lent itself to that. Just like Dent should have had.

But it's not out of character. That's the whole point. You already got a prelude to the extremes he'd go to just over a simple threat.

Maybe getting revenge vigilante style on those who actively had a hand in Rachel's death would make sense but the 180 he does by going after Gordon's family is indeed out of character with what came before in the film.

I can't speak for this Nero character because I haven't seen him, but based on your perception of these characters I'd say you're probably really dumbing him down.

Not really. Loads of people have said he has one of the worst motivations for being a villain of any bad guy in many years. It's probably the biggest complaint people have with that movie. I think Dent isn't far removed from that, yet for some reason he gets a pass.

That's not the issue for Dent. To him it's because he warned Gordon, Gordon did nothing about it, and Dent paid the price for Gordon's lack of action. That's why he was pissed when Gordon was suddenly so concerned about knowing which men he could trust. The damage had already been done as far as Dent was concerned.

Gordon already explained to Dent that if he took his advice he's be working alone and nothing would get done. I don't think Dent being mad at Gordon is wrong. I'm fine with that. But the level he takes it too could only happen in a movie like this where things that need to happen just do so. Dent is supposed to become Two-face and everybody knew that. And that is the main reason it happens in the movie. I'd have little to complain about with Dent if the movie wasn't taking itself so seriously and trying to convince me it was smart and made 100% sense.

Because there's big difference between the situations and legality has a huge bearing on it. Nothing would happen by threatening to send Lau to County. But with what Dent did with Schiff he could go to jail on kidnapping charges, have 549 criminals unleashed back on Gotham, and probably end up dead himself in jail.

You keep comparing that to a bluff about sending Lau to County. It's a hilariously bad comparison.

Perhaps it's not the best comparison but my essential point is that in neither case are we shown "Whoa! This guy's on the edge! He's about to crack!" We're not even near there so it's a pretty huge leap when it does happen.

She looked the other way to a criminal who fled the country being brought back and facing up to the consequences of the damage he did while in Gotham. The only consequences that can come from that is Lau will sing and they'll cut off the mob's money.

Do I have to run through the really bad consequences that would happen in Dent's situation with Schiff again?

No, clearly saving Rachel is to Dent more important than all that stuff you mentioned. And in that I think that's a very good and healthy/sane attitude of his.

Sigh. Again they had no intention of sending him to County. Gordon revealed that. They were never going to send him to certain death. They were pulling a bluff to get him to talk.

End of story.

Yeah, I already addressed that at the top.

Really you don't think any mental irrationality comes into play from a man who decides to abduct someone, terrorize them with a gun, face the prospect of prison time, and the release of over 500 dangerous criminals all because of a threat?

Depends entirely on his motivations for doing it. It was all altruistic because he cared for Rachel. Was it the best judgment in the world? No, but I don't see any cracks forming or his mask or sanity nearing slippage.

Harvey could have just told Rachel to get out of Gotham and go somewhere until it was safe. His reaction was totally over the top and a prelude to the extremes he's willing to go to just because someone he cared about was threatened. So that poses the question that if he's willing to do that just over a mere threat, then imagine what he would do if something worse happened.

2+2=4

Again, I'm not talking about his poor judgment. That's a character flaw rather than a bit of mental instability. I think most people would go to further extremes in hopes of protecting a loved one.

But that's still a far cry from losing a loved one and then saying "Aww **** the world" and then going around killing or threatening to kill innocent people. You see it as making sense. I say it's much too great a leap. Still at 1+1+1=4. The crucial missing puzzle piece is Dent already not having all his mental ducks in a row BEFORE this all happened.

Last edited:

The point is they should have peppered in more instability and left Two-Face for a sequel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"