Mike Flanagan takes on The Midnight Club (Netflix)

Just finished the season. I guess the ending was so open ended that they’re expecting a second season? Overall, probably my least favorite Flanagan series, but was still pretty entertaining. It was slow at first but did get better as the season went on. I was happy to see so many actors from past Flanagan series back. Always love seeing Zach Gilford pop up in these shows.

I’m planning to pick this up when I’ve finished some other stuff. A little disappointed to hear the verdicts in here.

It was weird seeing a Flanagan show that has ambitions of continuation. The ending lacked for that reason in my opinion. Didn't quite strike the balance of being a season finale, didn't have a strong enough sense of culmination. I'm happy to see it continue though, should it get a second season.

Just finished the season. I guess the ending was so open ended that they’re expecting a second season? Overall, probably my least favorite Flanagan series, but was still pretty entertaining. It was slow at first but did get better as the season went on. I was happy to see so many actors from past Flanagan series back. Always love seeing Zach Gilford pop up in these shows.

Yeah Zach Gilford, Henry Thomas, and Alex Essoe were all excellent in their roles
I also can't believe I had to look up Stanton to figure out it was Heather friggin Langekamp

I love how Flanagan pulls out classic actors from our childhood and let's them show off their acting chops in a way they never got to in the 80's

Just finished the season. A little spottier than Flanagan’s other series, but some great moments within, and I did become quite fond of the cast.

So much so that I actually wouldn’t mind if they just left it at one season because I’m not sure I have it in me to watch the remaining kids deteriorate any further, like Anya did.

https://www.thewrap.com/midnight-club-netflix-canceled-season-1/

Netflix has opted not to renew “The Midnight Club” for a second season, TheWrap has learned exclusively. The YA horror-thriller series was co-created and executive produced by Mike Flanagan, along with creator Leah Fong, based on Christopher Pike’s creative works.

“The Midnight Club” premiered on Netflix on Oct. 7 to both positive critics’ and audience reviews; however, it only remained on the Netflix Top 10 for three weeks, which factored into its cancellation decision. At the end of the day, viewership numbers stacked up unfavorably with series cost. Upon its debut on the chart, it was ranked at No. 4, with 18.8 million hours viewed. It gained traction in week two with 49.9 million viewing hours, peaking at No. 3. After sliding back to No. 5 in its third week, the series dropped off the list entirely in week four, facing heavy competition from “The Watcher,” “Dahmer,” “Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities,” “From Scratch” and “Big Mouth,” among other titles.

I'm confused about this being cancelled. Wasn't it a limited series like all other Flanagan shows on Netflix? He was already filming The Fall of the House of Usher anyway.

It was just an average show. I'm not surprised.

The Midnight Club - Season Two

Here's what Flanagan was planning for the next season.
Interesting stuff, but I stand by my earlier statements. I liked the kids too much to really want to see Amesh/Kevin/Ilonka succumb, so I’m okay with those deaths only existing in the hypothetical.

I'm confused about this being cancelled. Wasn't it a limited series like all other Flanagan shows on Netflix? He was already filming The Fall of the House of Usher anyway.
That’s what I assumed going in, but the lack of closure and the big reveal with Heather Langenkamp made it clear that they intended this to be a multi-season thing.

Which would’ve been interesting to see Flanagan finally have a hand in after so many one-offs. Maybe he’ll get his chance to do it successfully at Amazon.

Yeah, I am okay with this not getting a 2nd season. Weakest Flanagan project by a mile.

The 2nd season as Flanagan lays it out sounds like an improvement on paper (though brutally depressing) but, yeah, I would rather he focus his energies elsewhere.

Nah this one was designed to run longer. It was a big tribute to Christopher Pike stories, using the Midnight Club as a frame to include a bunch of others as the tales told by the kids. They optioned the rights to 28 books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"