Milly Alcock IS Supergirl/Kara Zor-El

By 2034 all game of thrones actors will have done at least one superhero movie.

haha in all seriousness though good for her. I bet she will be fab

I see that some fans wanted a taller Supergirl. I have always liked and looked at the DC animated series of the late 90s and early 2000s as my Supergirl and Milly fits that Kara so well.

Isn't James Gunn adapting a darker version of Supergirl?

I wonder if this is part of the reason she got the nod over Donnelly, who projects a more wholesome quality compared to Milly.

Do you guys think we should expect a more direct adaptation or a loose adaptation of Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow?

Do you guys think we should expect a more direct adaptation or a loose adaptation of Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow?
I generally liked the book. But I thought there was some stuff that didn’t quite work. And there was other stuff that — while perhaps suitable for the comic book medium — would be tough to translate to live action. So I’d say a fair bit of adaptation.

...fell in love with her here;

Milly Alcock Seemingly Reacts to Her Viral Drunk Behavior at Golden Globes

Wow, they are really using that word 'edgy' quite often.

This decision could work. It's the safe bet for WB. She already has recognition thanks to House of the Dragon.

Donnelly was too much like Corenswet. That All-American, happy go-lucky type. Same vibe.

And she was too much of an unknown to adult audiences and risky to put an expensive female-led superhero film on.

cw2.png

I doubt she could play darker, edgier characters that effectively. I had forgotten that Gunn specifically said that he wanted this Supergirl to be psychologically effed up. Watching everyone she knew and loved being killed and becoming a jaded character.

Basically the opposite of Superman. It's a good way to go to finally differentiate the character in live action. The previous live action versions of Supergirl were all just playing Superman with a uterus. Not really making Supergirl it's own thing.

That Variety article where it says Gunn wanted to make this polar opposite from the cheesy CW version of Supergirl makes so much sense.

As far as Alcock's look, with the right hair and makeup, I could see this 'edgy' Supergirl working work.

suf.png

It would be similar to what they did with Spider-Gwen.

I legitimately can't imagine how anyone could read Woman of Tomorrow, and picture Meg Donnelly in that role over Milly. The Supergirl in this book (and frankly, plenty of modern comics in general) is not the wholesome, happy-go-lucky cheerleader type that was introduced in the '50's. She's a survivor with 10 megatons of trauma weighing down on her, yet she still finds the resolve in her to help others at every turn. She is not Superman in a skirt, or some "all-American" girl - Earth is not her home, it's her refuge. Her home is forever gone. If "optimism" is the true superpower of Superman, then on that same level, I'd say "resilience" is Supergirl's.

I don't blame people for not realizing that because most modern screen adaptations have just gone with the ol' Superman-in-a-skirt portrayal, but I'm glad we're finally getting the Kara Zor-El I've most enjoyed reading for years. What makes this character special to me is the ways in which she's different from Superman, not the same. This choice was as clear as day to me, but to each their own. Glad this one went the way that it did, as I'd genuinely have trouble getting hyped for it if it hadn't, and WoT is one of my favorite comics of all-time. As it is, my hype for Woman of Tomorrow is now approaching Legacy levels!!! :mrk:

I legitimately can't imagine how anyone could read Woman of Tomorrow, and picture Meg Donnelly in that role over Milly. The Supergirl in this book (and frankly, plenty of modern comics in general) is not the wholesome, happy-go-lucky cheerleader type that was introduced in the '50's. She's a survivor with 10 megatons of trauma weighing down on her, yet she still finds the resolve in her to help others at every turn. She is not Superman in a skirt, or some "all-American" girl - Earth is not her home, it's her refuge. Her home is forever gone. If "optimism" is the true superpower of Superman, then on that same level, I'd say "resilience" is Supergirl's.

I don't blame people for not realizing that because most modern screen adaptations have just gone with the ol' Superman-in-a-skirt portrayal, but I'm glad we're finally getting the Kara Zor-El I've most enjoyed reading for years. What makes this character special to me is the ways in which she's different from Superman, not the same. This choice was as clear as day to me, but to each their own. Glad this one went the way that it did, as I'd genuinely have trouble getting hyped for it if it hadn't, and WoT is one of my favorite comics of all-time. As it is, my hype for Woman of Tomorrow is now approaching Legacy levels!!! :mrk:
I will gladly pay you Thursday to learn your top picks for Ruthye today.

hqdefault.jpg

I will gladly pay you Thursday to learn your top picks for Ruthye today.

hqdefault.jpg
Hate to disappoint, but I'm afraid i don't have any Ruthye picks because she's supposed to be 15-years-old, and I feel like I don't know enough young actors in that age range. The only one that comes to mind is Ariana Greenblatt, and I'd be down for that for sure, but I also just kinda trust they're gonna find somebody - maybe a total unknown - who has the perfect chemistry with Milly. Especially given how spot-on their casting picks have been thus far.

Can someone fill me on how Supergirl got to where she is in the recent Supergirl comic, it seems as she has been to earth before and knows of Supes. Unless I'm wrong.

Can someone fill me on how Supergirl got to where she is in the recent Supergirl comic, it seems as she has been to earth before and knows of Supes. Unless I'm wrong.
In WoT, it’s implied that Supergirl has had a more-or-less canonical career of “superhero-ing” back on Earth (including, one presumes, the traditional backstory vis-à-vis her cousin). And this particular tale is framed as a special, Silver Age-esq space adventure. So by my reckoning, it’s for readers who are thoroughly steeped in Superman/Supergirl lore — such that not a lot of attention is paid to narrative setup or explanation. As an initiated reader, you’re expected to already know these background details.

Which raises the question of how WoT will be translated into film. Unlike the sophisticated comic book reader, the average moviegoer won’t be expert on (say) how suns of different colors affect Kryptonian superpowers. Or, they won’t get the homage/reference/relevance when (say) Comet the Super Horse makes a sudden appearance. Etc.

Don't hate the casting at all, in fact both of the reported finalists would have been fine choices, both visually look the part if some of the fan concept art was anything to go by so in that respect I think it Gunn was onto a winner either way;

The only drawback of casting Milly Alcock as Supergirl is that it's now unlikely to she'll ever feature as some sort of live MCU adoption of the Spider-Verse Gwen Stacey in an MCU which I recall seeing a fan designed concept of her after Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse came out, that being said that project doesn't (currently) exist but she did look the part for that also.

Fine with the casting as Supergirl though. :up:

For what it's worth, I have a easier time buying David and Milly as cousins than Henry and Sasha.lol

I've already seen that criticism of the Milly casting that people don't buy her & David being cousins. Why? I couldn't tell you because cousins don't have to look similar at all. I'm sure in the real world some people have cousins that look nothing like them & others have cousins that look like they could be brother/sister.

I might confuse myself typing this but after seeing the trailer for The Flash I thought that Sasha was going to be playing an alternate reality to the Snyderverse, Supergirl in which she was that world's Superman/Lois (Cavill/Adams) daughter as opposed to cousin.

I've already seen that criticism of the Milly casting that people don't buy her & David being cousins. Why? I couldn't tell you because cousins don't have to look similar at all. I'm sure in the real world some people have cousins that look nothing like them & others have cousins that look like they could be brother/sister.

I might confuse myself typing this but after seeing the trailer for The Flash I thought that Sasha was going to be playing an alternate reality to the Snyderverse, Supergirl in which she was that world's Superman/Lois (Cavill/Adams) daughter as opposed to cousin.

Depending on the script, there's some logic why SuperDave and Milly don't look that much alike. The former grew up under the yellow sun, so he ended up big and chiseled with a more idealized look. Whereas SG may have been in suspension in some wormhole somewhere for all these years and already went through her developmental phase under the Red Sun.

Which raises the question of how WoT will be translated into film. Unlike the sophisticated comic book reader, the average moviegoer won’t be expert on (say) how suns of different colors affect Kryptonian superpowers. Or, they won’t get the homage/reference/relevance when (say) Comet the Super Horse makes a sudden appearance. Etc.
Well, some of those elements (juicy as they are) won't make it into the film simply because that's the nature of the beast. In other words, even though WoM is expected to draw a lot from the comic of the same name, it's still merely an adaptation—one that's based on hundreds of pages of narrative material, at that! The point being that you can't include everything even if you really want to. Hence, part of the problem should theoretically solve itself on its own.

And if anything else is too complex or esoteric for general audiences to follow, that can probably be fixed with some light exposition (similar to the panel below).

Supergirl-Woman-of-Tomorrow-2021-002-015.jpg

Reactions: Dr.
Don't hate the casting at all, in fact both of the reported finalists would have been fine choices, both visually look the part if some of the fan concept art was anything to go by so in that respect I think it Gunn was onto a winner either way;

The only drawback of casting Milly Alcock as Supergirl is that it's now unlikely to she'll ever feature as some sort of live MCU adoption of the Spider-Verse Gwen Stacey in an MCU which I recall seeing a fan designed concept of her after Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse came out, that being said that project doesn't (currently) exist but she did look the part for that also.

Fine with the casting as Supergirl though. :up:

Both mock ups are great visuals for Supergirl. :up:

Milly does have a great look for Gwen too though.

Reactions: B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"