Milly Alcock IS Supergirl/Kara Zor-El

I've already seen that criticism of the Milly casting that people don't buy her & David being cousins. Why? I couldn't tell you because cousins don't have to look similar at all. I'm sure in the real world some people have cousins that look nothing like them & others have cousins that look like they could be brother/sister.

I might confuse myself typing this but after seeing the trailer for The Flash I thought that Sasha was going to be playing an alternate reality to the Snyderverse, Supergirl in which she was that world's Superman/Lois (Cavill/Adams) daughter as opposed to cousin.
Such utter silliness.

Which raises the question of how WoT will be translated into film. Unlike the sophisticated comic book reader, the average moviegoer won’t be expert on (say) how suns of different colors affect Kryptonian superpowers. Or, they won’t get the homage/reference/relevance when (say) Comet the Super Horse makes a sudden appearance. Etc.
I think that the fact that WoT doesn’t take place on earth at all helps with the suspension of disbelief and the ability to accept crazy things like Comet. Plus, the Comic does have an amazing retelling of Kara’s origin that is pretty chilling. So it gives great foundation for her characterization and definitely separates her from her cousin.

While Superman doesn’t need his origin rehashed, I’m glad that Supergirl will hopefully get her Superman 1978, origin and all. I think the general public has zero idea what Supergirl’s story is other than she’s a “female Superman”.

She’s never had an iconic live-action interpretation that everyone knows ala Superman or Batman despite previous tries. Hopefully this is it.

I think that the fact that WoT doesn’t take place on earth at all helps with the suspension of disbelief and the ability to accept crazy things like Comet. Plus, the Comic does have an amazing retelling of Kara’s origin that is pretty chilling. So it gives great foundation for her characterization and definitely separates her from her cousin.
I think you misunderstood Dr. He's speaking to the esoteric nature of Comet, i.e., the notion that only hardcore Supergirl or DC fans will appreciate the character's significance, whereas general audiences won't really care or get it.

I mean comic fans in general will have a more intense reaction to everything in these films, I would think though at least for characters like Krypto and Comet that the appeal will quickly catch on.

CBM audiences love magic animals

I mean comic fans in general will have a more intense reaction to everything in these films, I would think though at least for characters like Krypto and Comet that the appeal will quickly catch on.

CBM audiences love magic animals
Yeah, as long as it's presented in a way that's not confusing, it should be fine.

Honestly, from the moment I heard they were adapting this, I thought the Comet bit would be the first to go. I’ll be shocked if it makes it in tbh.

Honestly, from the moment I heard they were adapting this, I thought the Comet bit would be the first to go. I’ll be shocked if it makes it in tbh.
It depends if they are keeping the tone of the book (which, while fantastical, is quite heavy) then I agree with you. But I could see where, in the right hands, something like Comet could provide a little relief from the heaviness by providing a level of spectacle. Ironically, I could possibly see a James Gunn or a Matthew Vaughn pulling it off.

If they did introduce him, I hope that he’s not the shapeshifter version. Just make it a sentient horse.

They can take out Comet but they definitely need to bring in krypto. Maybe Krypto will be more tied to Kara in this iteration?

:up: But I think this notion works better for self-contained stories, which are only beholden to their own narrative “rules.”

In this case, I’m wondering about “tonal continuity” across movies. WoT, with its outer space setting, exists within a more Silver Age-y milieu — where “crazy things” (as you put it) are entirely typical. I assumed, however, that Legacy would take a Modern Age (more “grounded”) approach to Superman. Therefore, there may be a dissonance of sub-genres and tone between these two films…? :shrug:

OTOH, maybe I’m wrong about Legacy; maybe it’ll, likewise, lean towards the Silver Age stuff. Which may benefit both stories. For example: as a bit of world-building, Legacy might introduce a fanciful FOS, equipped with (among other things) warp drive spacecraft. If so, then there’s no mystery how Supergirl manages her interstellar travel in WoT. More generally, Legacy could pre-establish a number of narrative elements as setup for WoT — making the transition to outer space fantasy an easier buy-in.

Krypto will stay in, I’m confident of that one.

The thing about Comet is that portion of the comic is really there to be an homage to Kara’s comics history, which King loves to do as he did plenty for Supes in Up in the Sky as well, but it wouldn’t really do anything for the moviegoing GA, 99.99% of whom are totally unfamiliar with that history and don’t care. It’s not really vital to the story so I just can’t see them keeping it. But I guess ya never know.

Do you guys think we'll see Kara in full costume in SL? Or will they wait until WOT before she dons the mantle?

In WoT, it’s implied that Supergirl has had a more-or-less canonical career of “superhero-ing” back on Earth (including, one presumes, the traditional backstory vis-à-vis her cousin). And this particular tale is framed as a special, Silver Age-esq space adventure. So by my reckoning, it’s for readers who are thoroughly steeped in Superman/Supergirl lore — such that not a lot of attention is paid to narrative setup or explanation. As an initiated reader, you’re expected to already know these background details.

Which raises the question of how WoT will be translated into film. Unlike the sophisticated comic book reader, the average moviegoer won’t be expert on (say) how suns of different colors affect Kryptonian superpowers. Or, they won’t get the homage/reference/relevance when (say) Comet the Super Horse makes a sudden appearance. Etc.

Oh ok cool. Thanks.

Well having read most of the WOT I could see them not bothering with having her being on Earth before and aware of Superman and just have her on a space adventure where she gets word of her cousin on Earth and meets him at the end. She can still hold good values but also be more of the punk rock bad ass that she is.

so, do we know yet, if she was only cast for the Woman of tomorrow role... or if she'll be appearing the legacy as well

so, do we know yet, if she was only cast for the Woman of tomorrow role... or if she'll be appearing the legacy as well
The trades initially said it was for Legacy but then walked it back and said they weren’t sure when Gunn decided to play coy about it on Twitter, so in short, yeah it’s probably for Legacy lol.

Which leads into the next question, is David also going to show up in WOT?

I really doubt they follow the book to the letter. I’d be surprised if he didn’t have some sort of presence. Definitely not a major role, but something.

I like how they kept the red/blue shield from the TV show, even if I know they won't do so for the movie. I really liked the show differentiating Supergirl and Superman's \S/ like that.

Had a quick play around with colors and giving her more of a traditional shield.
alcockedit.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"