Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning

Weird. That article was almost on the right track.

But I've made my case-- Anthony Mackie for Mission: Impossible 4, and anything else you've got while you're at it. If you want more proof, watch this video of Mackie with Jeremy Renner on The Today Show the morning Renner found out he was nominated for Best Actor for The Hurt Locker.

Renner got the role which was meant to take over from Cruise. We all know that didn’t exactly go down the way they thought.

I often wonder if those rumors about Brenner were even true. In the first half of Ghost Protocol. Brandt was played as comic relief. Hardly the heir to the keys of the kingdom.

I often wonder if those rumors about Brenner were even true. In the first half of Ghost Protocol. Brandt was played as comic relief. Hardly the heir to the keys of the kingdom.

There were lots of reshoots and on set script changes that from what I’ve read they kind of changed their mind mid-way shooting on the whole passing the torch thing.

The original version of Ghost Protocol—most of the people involved probably wouldn’t speak about this, but I can because nobody gives a **** about what I say. The original version of this movie was at the end of it Tom Cruise stops being Ethan Hunt the agent and becomes Ethan Hunt the Secretary. The whole version of this was they were gonna put another IMF Mission unit together with another actor — maybe it’s Jeremy Renner, who knows who it is — and they’re gonna go through this series of wild events, and at the end Tom gets to be the Secretary and a new agent takes over the franchise. Which I think seemed kind of nutty, but that was kind of the marching orders.

At some point…Chris McQuarrie came in, and Chris McQuarrie and Tom sat down and said, ‘How do we fix this?’… Chris came in and he kind of rewrote it, the last half, maybe more, and made it so that we had to change a few things that we shot at the beginning, like add lines, reshoot little pieces so that it all made sense. He tied the whole thing together and made it so that at the end of the movie, Tom ends up not becoming the Secretary but just goes on in his own lonely way.”

Tom Cruise Really Was Supposed to Step Aside After 'Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol'

Last edited:
There were lots of reshoots and on set script changes that from what I’ve read they kind of changed their mind mid-way shooting on the whole passing the torch thing.

Tom Cruise Really Was Supposed to Step Aside After 'Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol'
This makes sense. Cruise WAS going to leave the role.
I think GP would have been a good final film for Cruise, with him climbing the skyscraper.

I wonder why, though, they suddenly wanted Tom to keep the role. Was it actually his own wish?

Cruise realized there were more cool stunts he hadn't done yet. :)
Wish I could double-like your post :) :)

He will be the first movie star to film out in space, unfortunately not in the M:I franchise.
What's next step? To have him do an action sequence on the Moon? Or even better, on Mars.
Imagine the difficulties and how much it will cost.

Maybe he needs to keep his feet on the (Earth) ground :funny:

How’s this for comparison. Anthony Hopkins was 63 when he was in Mission Impossible 2. That’s only 5 years older than Cruise is now.

Anybody else watch Mission Impossible (1996) on The CBS Sunday Movie tonight?

So, any bets on Henry’s August Walker returning?

Nah. He dead. And it's not like Henry was ever the draw for these movies, so there's no reason to consider bringing him back.

Yeah it’s clear that Solomon Lane is the main antagonist in these movies.

I’m referring to the recent interview with Christopher McQuarrie where he said the below quote. That combined with Henry growing the moustache again, I doubt it’s coincidental. I mean he got rid of it ASAP once he could. So it’s not like it’s his thing to rock that thing around on his free time.

Also, who said this would be the character brought back from the dead? There’s plenty they can do with the character that occurred before he encountered the IMF. I wouldn’t bet against this.

Interview and quote from it:
Episode One Hundred - Christopher McQuarrie, Simon Pegg, Hayley Atwell, and Lorne Balfe — LIGHT THE FUSE PODCAST

"Any character, dead or alive, is fair game to return"

I mean, I'm not against it, I just don't see the need, or think it's particularly likely.

Also, he should be proud of that mustache and want to rock it again. It's the best he's ever looked, dammit.

That moustache comment was priceless! I do agree. He definitely had that European bad guy look you used to see in classic spy movies.

Plus we now know how Christopher McQuarrie likes connecting things to precious movies and past characters. The biggest giveaway is Solomon Lane, Ethan’s wife Julia, heck even his boss from the Brian De Palma movie.

Really looking forward to see what he’s got in store for us!

True, I wouldn't put it past him to include a Walker flashback or something if the new villain has ties to him.

How’s this for comparison. Anthony Hopkins was 63 when he was in Mission Impossible 2. That’s only 5 years older than Cruise is now.
Ha, and how old will Cruise be by the time he’s finished filming these? It’s very impressive to still be up to doing all that at that age.

Which means Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs was a few years younger than Cruise now, which feels... insane.

Another comparison, I think Jon Voight in the first film is Tom Cruise's age now.

Tom Cruise is now Mr. Phelps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"