Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning

his whole janky, find the movie in post shtick
I admit during both Rogue Nation and Fallout I was like "Hey, it's pretty amazing how well those movies work given his unique approach!".
During Dead Reckoning those "stitches" became so aparent that the movie started falling apart for me.

I admit during both Rogue Nation and Fallout I was like "Hey, it's pretty amazing how well those movies work given his unique approach!".
During Dead Reckoning those "stitches" became so aparent that the movie started falling apart for me.
The incredibly lame flashbacks were such an obvious "Oh, goddamn it, our villain is unbelievably boring. Uhh, uhh, let's... uhhh... give him some personal stakes with Ethan, yeah! Famous haver of backstory and emotional complexity Ethan Hunt!"

I like McQuarrie but I'll never, ever understand why he's held up by some people as a God tier screenwriter. He's a nice, functional, old school blockbuster guy. That his scripts seem all that impressive is more a crushing indictment of the low quality of modern film writing than high praise of it in and of itself.

McQ is always talking about trying to make his M:I films more "personal" for Ethan but they fail at that, we don't know anything about him besides work. JJ Abrams already did a much better job in that regard.

McQ is always talking about trying to make his M:I films more "personal" for Ethan but they fail at that, we don't know anything about him besides work. JJ Abrams already did a much better job in that regard.
That, IMO, is why M:I will always be the least of the big spy franchises. Ethan is an interesting character exclusively because Tom Cruise is awesome and the movies aren't really about anything other than his career and image - they are vehicles for Cruise to project the public image he is currently interested in projecting on the largest canvass possible. Which is fascinating, but in a totally different way than having an actually compelling lead character.

That, IMO, is why M:I will always be the least of the big spy franchises. Ethan is an interesting character exclusively because Tom Cruise is awesome and the movies aren't really about anything other than his career and image - they are vehicles for Cruise to project the public image he is currently interested in projecting on the largest canvass possible. Which is fascinating, but in a totally different way than having an actually compelling lead character.
The least of the spy franchises, are we fighting for a crown?

The weirdest thing for me was in Fallout where Ethan's entire character was defined by his never sacrificing a single innocent life, yet this had never been brought up in the franchise before? It was an odd retcon to be making six films in.

I also think Ghost Protocol is the worst film in the series (which McQuarrie heavily reworked). It's just scene after scene of delay tactics with nothing going on underneath.

The weirdest thing for me was in Fallout where Ethan's entire character was defined by his never sacrificing a single innocent life, yet this had never been brought up in the franchise before? It was an odd retcon to be making six films in.

I also think Ghost Protocol is the worst film in the series (which McQuarrie heavily reworked). It's just scene after scene of delay tactics with nothing going on underneath.
Actually Ghost Protocol has grown on on me over the years.
It is now one of my favorite Installments in the series.

Yeah Ghost Protocol is in my top 3. love it!
I know how people love The pre credit sequence in Fallout. But My Favorite Opening Moment in the entire series has become ,Ghost Protocol.Those first few minutes really move , especially that prison breakout. Light That Fuse, YEAH!

Ghost Protocol in IMAX is still one of TOP theater experiences for me. The very definition of a fun movie. The M:I film I've rewatched the most for sure.

Ghost Protocol in IMAX is still one of TOP theater experiences for me. The very definition of a fun movie. The M:I film I've rewatched the most for sure.
Ghost Protocol was my FIRST IMAX experience at the cinema.

After a recent rewatch, Ghost Protocol is probably my second favorite in the series after the original. Brad Bird was certainly some fresh air at the time.
When people talk about these films, they often talk about Chris Mcquarrie. but they don't talk enough about,Brad Bird.

The thing about Brad Bird on MI4 is that its the one "director driven" MI movie that doesn't really feel that director driven. I don't see Bird's voice in Ghost Protocol as much as something like, The Incredibles, for example (which is a Brad Bird movie through and through).

The thing about Brad Bird on MI4 is that its the one "director driven" MI movie that doesn't really feel that director driven. I don't see Bird's voice in Ghost Protocol as much as something like, The Incredibles, for example (which is a Brad Bird movie through and through).
Maybe.
But, the box office for a MI III was a bit on the weak side after the second film.
If Ghost Protocol had not worked, the subsequent 3 films might not have happened at all.

Really? Interesting. I thought Brad Bird's signature was all over that film. From the music to the way the action scenes were staged, to the visual gags. Sure, animation and live action are two very different mediums and it was his first live action film, with that in mind I think he did a wonderful job. Working in animation and crafting every little sequence was an advantage.

Really? Interesting. I thought Brad Bird's signature was all over that film. From the music to the way the action scenes were staged, to the visual gags. Sure, animation and live action are two very different mediums and it was his first live action film, with that in mind I think he did a wonderful job. Working in animation and crafting every little sequence was an advantage.

Exactly. I feel Bird’s fingerprints are all over it.

2d83aff6f22f590e-600x338.jpg

ExMAZB.gif

Ghost Protocol is one of my favorites in the series. Not that I'd necessarily have wanted to see Brad Bird direct another M:I movie because McQuarrie took that ball and ran with it but I just wish he wasn't in live action director jail after Tomorrowland bombed, which wasn't even his fault anyway.

Whenever I rewatch them, while I respect Ghost Protz... I tend to rank it even or lower than II because it's ideas and efforts are done better by McQ with the next few films.

And, while II might be weaker overall, it knows what it is and goes for it 110%.

I feel bad for Bird, he didn't fully hit the gas after 3. Just gradually rev'd the engine a few times before McQ got into the car to drive/win the race.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how McQ is judged as a director once he ventures outside of the action movie space and makes a new movie WITHOUT, Tom Cruise.

Congratulations to Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning for winning, Best Stunt Ensemble at the 2024 SAG Awards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"