Morally Strongest Character In Game of Thrones?

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones' started by jolldan, May 17, 2019.

?

Morally Strongest Character In Game of Thrones?

1. Ned Stark?

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  2. Davos Seaworth?

14 vote(s)
    51.9%
  3. Jon Snow?

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  4. Brienne of Tarth?

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  5. Varys?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Barriston Selmy?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Jeor Mormont?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Maester Luwin?

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  9. Jojen Reed?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jolldan Registered

As the best fighter thread seems to be doing well I thought this one would be a good idea as well (and hopefully feature quite a different line-up)

Now I know that morality is subjective so we may all have different ideas of what makes a character morally the strongest overall but I would like to hear what you all think

So same rules as before vote for your top 3 picks (just let me know if who you'd like to choose isn't on there and I will add them to the poll, this is a much harder list to compile than best fighters lol)

I will add just a few who I think may be popular choices to get us started

2. harlequinade DayGirl

Ned, shame he didn't teach his oldest daughter what honor is

Areisius and TheVileOne like this.
  3. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Went with Ned, Jon and Brienne. The first two guys were so noble that it got them killed and Brienne's nobility probably would have gotten her killed at some point too if she wasn't such a good fighter. I almost said Davos instead of Jon, but Davos was a smuggler for most of his life and so while that's far from a heinous crime in this universe it's still illegal and thus immoral (I guess).

scarlet-witch likes this.
  4. Fist of Khonshu Registered

Varys doesn't belong on this list at all. While most of his intentions were ultimately good as far as supporting or preserving the peace and stability of the realm and the welfare of the commoners, he betrayed and conspired against rulers he deemed unworthy, and his judgement of character is very questionable!

With Illyrio, he supported a Targaryen restoration that would have brought an untamed Dothraki horde to Westeros and put Viserys on the throne, yet followed Robert's order to the letter by sending an assassin to poison Daenerys while (strangely) doing nothing to subvert that order.

Then there's his unforgettable last conversation with Ned Stark in the dungeon:

VARYS: l am the master of whisperers. My role is to be sly, obsequious and without scruples.
    l'm a good actor, my lord.

NED: You want me to serve the woman who murdered my king, who butchered my men, who crippled my son?
    VARYS (shouting): I WANT YOU TO SERVE THE REALM!!! TELL THE QUEEN YOU WILL CONFESS YOUR VILE TREASON, TELL YOUR SON TO LAY DOWN HIS SWORD AND PROCLAIM JOFFREY AS THE TRUE HEIR!
    Cersei knows you as a man of honor. lf you give her the peace she needs, and promise to carry her secret to your grave, l believe she will allow you to take the black and live out your days on the Wall with your brother and your bastard son.
    NED: You think my life is some precious thing to me? That l would trade my honor for a few more years of Of what?
    VARYS: What of your daughter's life, my lord? ls that a precious thing to you?

Se1Ep9 "Baelor"

#4 Fist of Khonshu, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Bim, OutOfBoose and TheVileOne like this.
  5. warhorse78 Registered

Where is Sam and Gilly, since I think they have to be the most morally strong characters on the show.

But Davos is on the top of my list. I think he's even more moral than either Ned or Jon.

ludovica likes this.
  6. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

Davos is the most decent human being in the show and books. He’s an amazing person, whilst still being a realist.

7. JimThompson Registered

Davos. He seems the most consistently principled character throughout the series, both show and books.

8. warhorse78 Registered

Yes. I just saw a post on another forum where it shows he has lost much in his life, including his son and surrogate daughter, but he has found it in his heart to forgive those responsible for those deaths. It's true, when a world lives in an eye for an eye, then the whole world will be blind. But not Davos. He has seen the errors of his ways, and has paid for them dearly, and tries to do what is right in the end.

9. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

Davos, Ned and Brienne for me with Davos as #1. Jon has a strong moral compass, but often lacks the wisdom to utilize it well and is prone to letting his emotions and reluctance to power take precedence.

ludovica likes this.
  10. Schlosser85 Registered

Ned, Jon, Brienne, Davos

11. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Drogon. Only he knew that the throne was the problem the whole time, so that's why he nuked it lol.

Another_Fool and ludovica like this.
  12. TheVileOne Registered

And here I thought the throne was just a dumb bystander

Deck Rickard likes this.
  13. P Supreme Registered

Went with Jon, Ned and Davos if I had to choose between them 3 I'll go with Davos

Ned for all his honor failed to realize How bad Robert was for that crown he should have taken it for himself

Jon too emotional rushes into dangerous situations and gets people around him hurt

Davos is all about the plan and how to execute it without hurting anyone

Iceman likes this.
  14. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I don’t quite see honour and morally strong as the same thing, even though there will be a significant correlation between the 2. Ned is for eg honour-bound to execute deserters, and that is the law, but they don’t necessarily all deserve it.

15. Chesterfield Registered

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeroooyyyy Jeeeenkiiiiiiiins!

16. Areisius Registered

Ned and a close second is Robb.

17. scarlet-witch mighty.

Ned, Jon, and Brienne. I don't feel I know enough about Maester Luwin to make that call. Who knows what he was up to before the series. :funny:

18. uncletyrion Registered

I really like Brienne character development in this series. Ned and Jon Snow also on my honourably mention.