The Strongest In The Marvel Universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^My point stands though, I'm not saying Hulk is the strongest, IMO, Silver Surfer is, and Ghost Rider hasn't tasted defeat both times they have met.

^My point stands though, I'm not saying Hulk is the strongest, IMO, Silver Surfer is, and Ghost Rider hasn't tasted defeat both times they have met.

Potentially the Strongest physically in the Marvel Universe is an Enraged Hulk... BUT contrary to what some/most of the Hulk Fanboys think there is a limit to rage so there is an limit to Hulk's strength. you can olny gett so mad!

I think at normal resting condition it is Hercules/Herakles that probably is the Strongest pysically followed by Thor. Hulk jumps up as he gets mad till he overpowers characters that dumbass writers write to lose to Hulk cause instead of those characters using their more dynamic powers to keep Hulk at bay while they pound him to pulp with their potent range arsonal at a safe distance they choose to fight his fight and thus falling into his trip.

Also doesn't Silver Surfer have the ability to increase his strength at will so we can also make a case for him as well.

Potentially the Strongest physically in the Marvel Universe is an Enraged Hulk... BUT contrary to what some/most of the Hulk Fanboys think there is a limit to rage so there is an limit to Hulk's strength. you can olny gett so mad!

I think at normal resting condition it is Hercules/Herakles that probably is the Strongest pysically followed by Thor. Hulk jumps up as he gets mad till he overpowers characters that dumbass writers write to lose to Hulk cause instead of those characters using their more dynamic powers to keep Hulk at bay while they pound him to pulp with their potent range arsonal at a safe distance they choose to fight his fight and thus falling into his trip.

Also doesn't Silver Surfer have the ability to increase his strength at will so we can also make a case for him as well.

You would think there would be a limit to rage like maybe his head would blow up. Or at least he got so mad that he broke out crying.

Well to sight an example, he seemed at the limit of his rage at the end of WWH, and he nearly 'broke the world' until the satelites took him out. I think at that strength, very few people could handle him.

As to your other point also, funnily enough Ghost Rider used his other powers against Hulk both times they have met rather than simply slugging it out with him.

Well he was my vote, even weakened he took on Hulk and his Warbound in Planet Hulk, they had to team up to defeat SS.

That's a good point. An individual can only get so angry...yeah. Never looked at it that way before. The Silver Surfer, as mentioned, does have the potential for unlimited strength seeing as he is not limited by anything other than his will. The Sentry I thought had the potential for unlimited strength, but apparently this is not true, as evidenced in WW Hulk #5 where he seemed to be maxed out in power. I am not sure what the base strength is of the Sentry, meaning he must have a lower starting point because he had to "amp up" to go toe to toe with the Hulk. I am also unsure of the Surfer's base strength; FF #48 shows the Surfer increasing his strength to match that of the Thing, who then was about an 85 ton guy. As earlier stated, he seems to have the potential for unlimited strength.
Classic Thor was also finite in strength, save for use of the belt of strength and those rare occasions when he was overcome with "warriors madness", increasing his base strength tenfold. However, Thor's base strength, although static, was/is astronomical as illustrated by the throwing of the Odin-sword through a celestial's armor, lifting of the midgard serpent matching the strength of a very pissed off Hulk on a few occasions. Surfer, Hulk (whose base strength is in the 70 ton range...)and maybe the Sentry would all have to amp up to equal the base strength of Thor.
However, with the Odin-force (a blend of mystical and cosmic energies that augment all his attributes), Thor also has the potential for unlimited strength. I suppose what I'm suggesting is that Thor's base platform of strength is much, much higher than Hulk's, Surfer's and possibly the Sentry's and is no longer "static", but like the aforementioned three, is unlimited. The difference is, Thor starts much higher than the other three. Thor may be the new king of strength at Marvel comics (don't get too excited Thor fans, Marvel will probably find a way around this to accomodate the more popular Hulk...).
And no, I have not forgotten about Hercules who has always given classic Thor a run for his money in raw, brute strength. Hercules' strength, although way up there with Thor's, is static and he does not have the potential for unlimited strength.

I always thought Herc should have the potential for unlimited strength. He is the Greek god of strength, after all.

I always thought Herc should have the potential for unlimited strength. He is the Greek god of strength, after all.

I agree cause in the Myths he held up the heavens while Atlas help Herc during the 12 labours!

You would think there would be a limit to rage like maybe his head would blow up. Or at least he got so mad that he broke out crying.

That's really why I don't believe the "Madder he gets the stronger he gets" thing but rather "The more mad he gets, the stronger he gets". Once he gets to a certain strength level and calms down (but doesn't revert back to Banner) he doesn't seem to go back to base strength. He just gets stronger while in Hulk form from what I noticed. That just stuck out to me in Planet Hulk.

And yeah, Hercules really should be the strongest by default just like The Flash is the fastest in DC. It's just...who they are. It's how it should be.

Interesting points given on ol' Herc there. I have been wondering if the strength rankings for the MU might look a little like this:

Hercules - Highest base strength (maybe can increase near/around Olympus?)
Thor - next highest base strength - (can increase in certain circumstances; belt of strength, etc.)
Hulk - third highest base strength (can obviously increase strength level, possibly at a faster rate then others)
Surfer - (out of these picks) lowest base strength - (but can increase to whatever level he wills himself to be - increasing at a faster rate only above hulks)
Sentry (no idea..don't know enough about him..maybe higher base then Surfer)

The only other part I'll add is in response to the 'the Hulk can only get so angry' point. Which IS completly valid, btw. Over the years, since it was such a big part of the characters power-makeup, that I figured that was only partly true. I always figured that the WAY his body get's angry was different than what any other folks did. I figured any negative effects from his greater rages probably act at a much slower rate then other superhero's. Yes, he may have any upper limit, but that upper limit is much higher than what would normally be expected out of somebody, that the point almost becomes moot. As his history kept unwinding throughout the years I went under the assumption that his gamma-ray intake not only changed his body's physical makeup, but also his EMOTIONAL makeup..making him able to intensify his anger feelings much further then anyone else could.
Anyway...hope the above makes some sense...

:bh:

if you talking on Base strength now I think Thor is the top dawg. Thor was formidable before but with the odinpower added his base strength is more than likely on a cosmic level. Surfer's base strength is the lowest cause he's usually not about strength he's got a mess full of cosmic rays that he usually uses.However Surfer has most potential to increase his strength to whatever level needed.

It doesn't seem like they're treating the Odinpower as an increase in Thor's strength anymore, to be honest. He didn't seem to fare any better against the Destroyer with the Odinpower than he has any other time he's fought it, for example.

Since you guys are talking about ppl who can increase their strength at will, just wanted to toss in Apocalypse's name as well. He's supposed to be able to pull energy out of a pocket universe like some of the others and increase his strength at will.

Even tho he can't increase his strength at will, Juggernaut is kinda in the same boat as well. Cyttorak himself gives Juggs strength. So really...I guess Juggernauts strength could go as high as Cyttorak wants it to as well. He did stand toe to toe with Hulk at his strongest and match him in a power struggle.

Then there's Gladiator. Poor showing against the Hulk aside, he did lift the Baxtar building, break Hyperion's neck, lift a good length of connected trains like it was a toy, and so on.

Glads is getting a boost courtesy of War of Kings now. He's treated as an unstoppable tank to be feared by everyone.

I wonder when has his confidence level been this consistently maintained. . .

I wonder when has his confidence level been this consistently maintained. . .

That's a good question. He usually looses it by now. My favorite was when Cannonball kicked his trash. That was the first time I even had respect for Cannonball.

Well...Rocket Raccoon (with a little help from Rachel Summers) did make Gladiator scared of a mop.

Then there's Gladiator. Poor showing against the Hulk aside, he did lift the Baxtar building, break Hyperion's neck, lift a good length of connected trains like it was a toy, and so on.

What's the deal with the Baxter building?

Gladiator's first appearance (that I can remember...) was during John Byrne's run with the FF (can't remember the issue) in the 80s...Gladiator dug his fingers into the base of the Baxter Building and began to tip it over. Awesome display of pure strength; however, there is some thought that Gladiator employed some psionic control to augment his strength which is why, it is theorized, that the Baxter Building did not crumble under it's own weight. Gladiator has also boasted that he can move planets. And yes, Thor has trashed him in the past.
And yep, I agree. Stracynski has largely (if at all?) explored this aspect of current power level Thor, with the Odin force. It's there; apparently there is a learning curve involved...can't wait to see him learn to use it properly.

Gladiator's first appearance was in the Claremont run of X-Men. He did not tip the Baxter building, he picked it up off it's foundations to use as a weapon. This is the same story where he ko'ed the Thing and put him in the hospital for 2 months with one punch.

Last edited:
Even tho he can't increase his strength at will, Juggernaut is kinda in the same boat as well. Cyttorak himself gives Juggs strength. So really...I guess Juggernauts strength could go as high as Cyttorak wants it to as well. He did stand toe to toe with Hulk at his strongest and match him in a power struggle.
yep he's got my vote. when written correctly he is actually unstoppable (well unless a psychic is around, it seems they usually just don't know what to do with him so they weaken him or make up some random plot device out of nowhere that can defeat him, there is actually a site out there that goes into all of this, good read but i can't find it again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"