Morbius Thread

GutterTalk

Civilian
Reaction score
I didn't see a Morbius discussion thread yet, so here we go. I haven't seen the film yet, but I came across the most awful marketing for it, I had to share.

A wordle puzzle for Morbius? That was trendy more than a month ago and even then, most people were annoyed at people sharing their scores on social media. Feels like such a bad attempt to be relatable.

As for the movie, it's gonna be "wait for streaming" or "watch it on a plane" for me.

You're right. There isn't a Morbius forum. I'm kind of shocked tbh but then again, there was no need for this film to be made. He doesn't even have a rogue gallery. This was just a money grab, plain and simple.

You're right. There isn't a Morbius forum. I'm kind of shocked tbh but then again, there was no need for this film to be made. He doesn't even have a rogue gallery. This was just a money grab, plain and simple.

And not a very good one.

Haha, very true. Hopefully they didn't spend too much on marketing and maybe they won't lose a ton of money.
I think the production budget by itself was about 80M. Add marketing and it's looking pretty ugly. I think there's about a 0% chance that the domestic cumulative BO hits that 80M number. That works out to a BvS multiplier without the big upfront money from the first OW receipts. I could see the total WW BO being about 160M. That's what we call a disaster and if it's a money grab, it's one of those times I don't mind owning the wallet that got heisted.

Last edited:
So..................................Morbius

giphy.gif

I think the production budget by itself was about 80M. Add marketing and it's looking pretty ugly. I think there's about a 0% chance that the domestic cumulative BO hits that 80M number. That works out to a BvS multiplier without the big upfront money from the first OW receipts. I could see the total WW BO being about 160M. That's what we call a disaster and if it's a money grab, it's one of those times I don't mind owning the wallet that got heisted.

Exactly this. Anyone saying Sony made money on Morbius is being disingenuous. I have seen arguments lately saying the streaming deal with Netflix and Disney will make Sony money and Morbius profitable, but that's a fallacy because those deals are all inclusive for Pay 1 and Pay 2 window for all new theatrical releases between 2022 and 2026. Netflix also has first rights looks for DTV movies and Disney has legacy licensing.

Morbius is a bonafide bomba. No other way around it.

So..................................Morbius

giphy.gif

If Morbius doesn't work.....try El Muerto. And the minimum budget for El Muerto (or any other movie) must be 75MM+ as per the contract.

It's sinking like a stone at the BO, especially with better, more fun movies being released since.

I am generally easy to please with movies due to a stressful job, but even j was shocked at how poorly Morbius was put together.

Exactly this. Anyone saying Sony made money on Morbius is being disingenuous. I have seen arguments lately saying the streaming deal with Netflix and Disney will make Sony money and Morbius profitable, but that's a fallacy because those deals are all inclusive for Pay 1 and Pay 2 window for all new theatrical releases between 2022 and 2026. Netflix also has first rights looks for DTV movies and Disney has legacy licensing.

Morbius is a bonafide bomba. No other way around it.

If Morbius doesn't work.....try El Muerto. And the minimum budget for El Muerto (or any other movie) must be 75MM+ as per the contract.
Hey Buddy! I haven't seen you for a minute now. Have to ask: what's up with Disney now that they have gotten all into politics? Are they happy with the way Chapek is guiding the ship? I know you are an insider so give me all the dirt.

As muchas morbius sucked. It could have performed worse at the boX office especially with those reviews and a weird character choice to lead a movie. Sony didn't spend too much on the movie so I wouldn't say its financially disappointing.

If you think about it Morbius already outgrossed Fant4stic, Dark PhoeniX and New Mutants in North America. And Sony would probably force Morbius to appear in the other Sony movies even if a Morbius 2 isn't happening.

Hey Buddy! I haven't seen you for a minute now. Have to ask: what's up with Disney now that they have gotten all into politics? Are they happy with the way Chapek is guiding the ship? I know you are an insider so give me all the dirt.

Getting into politics is never a good idea IMHO, especially as a 4 quadrant company like Disney. You are bound to upset some people as they obviously have. Staying neutral while quickly putting out a statement in support of the LGBT community and then staying quiet regardless of push would have been the smart move. Too late for that and I believe the best course of action now is silence. Chapek WILL definitely be asked about it during Quarterlys next week.

A lot of people in the firm are unhappy with Chapek. A lot of people are also unhappy Disney has gone so strongly politically lately. More importantly than employees is that shareholders are unhappy. That should and does worry the board. If their Quarterly numbers are not good.....

They fumbled twice and came out looking like they were trying to play both sides. It was actually amazing to see how bad they fumbled it and how they got there. The leaked videos also did not do them any favors. The stock tanking is partly because of Wall Street having doubts on streaming and partly because of the major pushback that Disney got due to trying to play a political game.

As muchas morbius sucked. It could have performed worse at the boX office especially with those reviews and a weird character choice to lead a movie. Sony didn't spend too much on the movie so I wouldn't say its financially disappointing.

If you think about it Morbius already outgrossed Fant4stic, Dark PhoeniX and New Mutants in North America. And Sony would probably force Morbius to appear in the other Sony movies even if a Morbius 2 isn't happening.

All of what you are saying is true, but Morbius still bombed. New Mutants is a special case as that was a horrible movie that came right in the middle of the pandemic and everyone knew the movie was inconsequential since Marvel Studios was going to reboot it. Dark Phoenix had a similar issue of being irrelevant. And remember multipliers for F4 was 2.18x, Dark Phoenix was 2x. Morbius, if it gets to 75MM (it won't) will have one of the worst multipliers for CBMs ever at 1.92x.

Whether we like it or not Morbius was coming off Venom and Venom 2 which most people liked (even if I personally didn't). Having a 1.92x does not bode well for future SSU movies. Franchises don't die off one bad movie and Sony had enough good cred with fans who enjoyed Venom. Sony can still turn things around though, so we'll see.

Remains to be seen if the bombas will continue or if it'll be a one off. Let's see how Kraven, El Muerto, and Madame Webb perform.

So I bought and watched the movie recently. I didn't think it was that bad. It's a bit sloppy, the hero-villain relationship lacked development, and the visuals were inconsistent, but I've seen much much much worse movies and have no shame thinking Morbius was on par with lower tier MCU fare.

Just wondering if Sony doesn’t spend the 75-80 mil per movie is that breach of contract?? Could that start the ball rolling for rights reversal??

Just wondering if Sony doesn’t spend the 75-80 mil per movie is that breach of contract?? Could that start the ball rolling for rights reversal??

I doubt it. Not because I don't believe there's such a clause in the agreement ( there probably is ), but because I doubt Sony could get a superhero budget down lower than that even if they *wanted* to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"