Iron Man More Robert Downey Jr. on Iron Man

kedrell

Fork&SpoonOperator
Reaction score
Robert Downey Jr. on Iron Man

Source: Time Out Abu Dhabi
May 14, 2007

Robert Downey Jr. chatted with Time Out Abu Dhabi about taking on the role of Iron Man:

I went after it. I hunted it down. I am a fan of the comic book. It's mythology. Stan Lee created the character on a dare to see if he could make a wealthy, establishment, weapons manufacturing, hard drinking, womanising p**** into someone who is likeable and a hero. And I definitely have had to overcome certain perceptions. But I know underneath it, my heart is in the right place. And that's kind of what the movie is about.

Unlike so many other superhero movies that something amazing happened to them or they were traumatised by bats or something that justifies why they have a transformation, he's a guy. He's a guy who has to do extraordinary things. That's why I love Die Hard and The Matrix. Deep down I'm a big nerd for superhero movies.

Oh... a guy traumatised by bats he says. That's Batman in a nutshell alright.

:rolleyes:

Listen Bobby. I can call you Bobby right. I get it that you're excited about the movie, and I like that. But let's keep things in perspective here. Try not to downplay other heroes.

cool to see Downey JR was into the role. Nothing but good things so far.

Try not to downplay other heroes.
Would you rather he said something like "Iron-Man is the same as all the others, if not worse because he can't carry the suit around with him..."? You can't blame him for trying to sell the character to an audience who may be tired of superhero flicks ie. everyone but us lot.

A Good interview and I'm glad RDJ went after the role so much and He's a good choice but he better watch his mouth about saying anything bad about Batman. :cmad:

Batman will rust up his armor so quick he'll fall off the wagon before his repuslar rays heat up.

I swear to God I busted out laughing when I read the bats comment. I love Batman, but I won't lie, he is kind of spot on when he said it.

Preface: I love Batman Begins.

Point: RDJ is not taking a shot at Batman. He's highlighting one of the major differences between IM and Bats. Two heroes who get compared to one another quite frequently. In the very first sentence he referred to IM as "a wealthy, establishment, weapons manufacturing, hard drinking, womanising pr!ck". As an IM fan I didn't get mad, I laughed my a$$ off :yay:

He's just make a joke, lord Batman fans get made at anything that even looks like someone is bashing old pointy ears, lighten up, get a sense of humor.
I thought it was also funny when he made light of Iron Man.

Traumitized by bats just sounds so funny, man. That has to be a new catchphrase.

Downey comes out of the closet... :wow:

as a comic book geek. :yay:

Hopefully other respected actors/directors who like comics will follow his example.

funny. every actor that plays in a comic book movie is a comi fan.
its just crazy

Listen Bobby. I can call you Bobby right. I get it that you're excited about the movie, and I like that. But let's keep things in perspective here. Try not to downplay other heroes.

:whatever: There's nothing wrong with what he said, he made a valid point. He's not downplaying anything. He's merely saying that, Stark is a very different fantasy to batman....and in a nut shell, thats all batman is, a guy with a grudge who's traumatised by bats and by the death of his parents...its deep but pschycologically differnt from IM's angle. Get over yourself.

Well we all know what traumatises Tony Stark. :cwink:

1867_4_0128.jpg

BATMAN RULES !!!!

:whatever: There's nothing wrong with what he said, he made a valid point. He's not downplaying anything. He's merely saying that, Stark is a very different fantasy to batman....and in a nut shell, thats all batman is, a guy with a grudge who's traumatised by bats and by the death of his parents...its deep but pschycologically differnt from IM's angle. Get over yourself.

I'm just saying... make fun of the BAD superhero movies. Not the ones that are actually good!

funny. every actor that plays in a comic book movie is a comi fan.
its just crazy

Heath Ledger, Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale... they all don't read comics, but they understand their characters in the right way.

Overreacting a bit? He was just pointing out the differences between Iron Man and other heroes and trying to sell his movie.

Glad to see he's happy to play this role, and i'm also really suprised to read that he likes the comics! Very few actors who play superhero's are fans of the comic books(i'm pretty sure of it).

Oh, and hi.

^They always say they're fans of it. And the few that don't, just say they wanted a chance to work with such-and-such director.

^They always say they're fans of it. And the few that don't, just say they wanted a chance to work with such-and-such director.

No one from the Spider-man movies claimed they were fans of the comic books except for Topher Grace.

No one from the X-men movies claimed to be fans of the comic books.

No one from Superman Returns claimed they were fans of the comic books.

No one from the Fantastic Four movie claimed they were fans of the comic books.

Ditto for Ang Lee's Hulk.

and the only directors to claim they were a fan of the comic books were Nolan and MSJ (who is probably lying his ass off).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"