Iron Man More Robert Downey Jr. on Iron Man

Someone who stopped reading Spider-man comics when they were 8 is not a fan of the comic books.

Fact.

No one from the Spider-man movies claimed they were fans of the comic books except for Topher Grace.
This was when the first film came out, i remember Tobey said he was in an interview.

No one from the X-men movies claimed to be fans of the comic books.

No one from Superman Returns claimed they were fans of the comic books.
I remember when Brandon was first announced as supes, they had a picture of him dressed as clark kent for halloween, he claimed he was a fan.

No one from the Fantastic Four movie claimed they were fans of the comic books.
Michael Chiklis did, said how he always loved the thing and is excited about playing him.

Ditto for Ang Lee's Hulk.

and the only directors to claim they were a fan of the comic books were Nolan and MSJ (who is probably lying his ass off).

But back to topic, i dont think he was downplaying anyone just showing the difference between his character and others. Considering Batman is due out the same year, all differences should be established so general movie goers dont compare too much. Because lets face it, there's a lot of similarities between stark and bruce.

Someone who stopped reading Spider-man comics when they were 8 is not a fan of the comic books.

Fact.
I stopped reading Spider-Man in the 90s. Does that mean I'm no longer a fan? Or does that mean that I can't afford to spend money on every issue because I have bills to pay and not time to read it? You can still be a fan without having read the entire Spider-man series. You think John Favreau read every comic book about Iron Man? Highly doubtful. More than likely he read it when he was a kid. Like I'm sure C. Nolan did. I doubt these guys have huge comic book collections at home.

I stopped reading Spider-Man in the 90s. Does that mean I'm no longer a fan? Or does that mean that I can't afford to spend money on every issue because I have bills to pay and not time to read it? You can still be a fan without having read the entire Spider-man series. You think John Favreau read every comic book about Iron Man? Highly doubtful. More than likely he read it when he was a kid. Like I'm sure C. Nolan did. I doubt these guys have huge comic book collections at home.

Actually, Fav said he really didn't read much Iron Man as a kid; he was more of a Hulk & Wolverine fan when it came to comics. Just for the record, but that still means he was/is a comic book fan.

Some non comic fan directors have made great comic book movies and some hardcore fan directors have made some terrible comic movies.

When did Nolan say he was a fan of Batman comics??? :eek: :confused:

Besides, I don't understand all this crap like "he was a fan, he wasn't a fan". It doesn't make sense as long as such great filmmakers as Favreu and Nolan make masterpieces in superhero genre.

When did Nolan say he was a fan of Batman comics??? :eek: :confused:

Besides, I don't understand all this crap like "he was a fan, he wasn't a fan". It doesn't make sense as long as such great filmmakers as Favreu and Nolan make masterpieces in superhero genre.

The "fan thing" can make a great difference, but we should not be fooled into thinking that's all it takes. Talent is at least as important if not more. Being a fan simply means that the director is more familiar with the source material & also willing to give that extra push of effort to make the film great since it will be in part, a labor of love. This is in no way restricted merely to comic book films. For example, does anyone really think that LOTR would have been nearly as great if Jackson & his writing team had not been long time fans of the book? Having a really talented filmmaker who is also a fan of the source material is usually the best way to go.

Fact.

What kind of an arrogant condescending statement is that?

So to be a fan you have to continue to read the books every day of your life?

That's BS!!!

The "fan thing" can make a great difference, but we should not be fooled into thinking that's all it takes. Talent is at least as important if not more. Being a fan simply means that the director is more familiar with the source material & also willing to give that extra push of effort to make the film great since it will be in part, a labor of love. This is in no way restricted merely to comic book films. For example, does anyone really think that LOTR would have been nearly as great if Jackson & his writing team had not been long time fans of the book? Having a really talented filmmaker who is also a fan of the source material is usually the best way to go.

Alright, but what can you say about Nolan? He wasn't so big fan of Batman (all I know is that he liked him as a character, but only after he got a job), and now what a masterpiece BB is ;)

What kind of an arrogant condescending statement is that?

So to be a fan you have to continue to read the books every day of your life?

That's BS!!!

I agree, that's very narrow minded and idiotic, you could be a childhood fan of Spider Man or Iron Man and then grow up and still love the character and the stories growing up and still appreciate the movies.

Alright, but what can you say about Nolan? He wasn't so big fan of Batman (all I know is that he liked him as a character, but only after he got a job), and now what a masterpiece BB is ;)

Well masterpiece is pushing it a bit I think, though it's a very good movie. By you're own admission though, Nolan is a fan of the character(just not a die-hard/uber-fan type) and considering the fact that he is an extremely talented director, the mix of fan+talent works more or less. Compare this with Ang Lee & the Hulk. Very talented director who wasn't a fan of the character. The difference is that he didn't become a fan of the character after, he was more of a fan of his own idea of how the character should be. Nolan became a fan of the Batman as he is.

Nolan did a good job on Batman Begins. But now having seen the new EMOker pics from The Dark Knight, I'm no longer looking forward to that movie.

I think Iron Man, could be right up there with Spider-man and X-men if done right. I'm hoping this will be the runaway blockbuster of Summer 2008.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"