• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movie Gore

The Llama

Civilian
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of gore in movies. Over time, I've devised a sort of rating system.

Juicy = lots of blood - good

Chunky = lots of chunks of flesh/meat/brain/etc. - better

What are some of everybody's favorite gory movies/moments? Not necessarily a kill, just anything gory. Personally I think both the conference room headshot and the knee shots in Die Hard are damn good gore. And most stuff in Dawn Of The Dead '78 is awesome.

killbill.........pretty much sums every gorey thing ever made:)

I like gore some times its not always needed like in halloween. But gore like in zombie moives are cool. Which makes me sort of disappointed with land of the dead sense alot of gore and blood was cgi. Its just so wrong to do that.

About everything in The Hills Have Eyes remake.
I liked how bad the gore was in the original Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead.

The new Dawn had a sweeet headshot (the zombie in the fountain). Nice 'n' chunky.

1) When the Black guy bites his wife's shoulder near the begining of original "Dawn of the Dead"

2) All the Security Laser Slices in "Resident Evil"

3) Rhodes: "Choke on 'em!"

4) Brain stem corpse in "Day of the Dead" losing his guts

5) Fat guy in "Day of the Dead" whose voice changes pitch 'cause the zombies are stretching out his vocal chords while they rip his head off

6) The almost unwatchable death of Giovanni Ribisi in "Saving Private Ryan"

7) Chopped hand and thighs in Andy Miligan's "The Ghastly Ones"

8) the last 15 minutes of "Sword of Doom"

9) The rainbow-colored blood spray when the werewolf gangsters tommy-gun Peter Grant's head off in Led Zeppelin's "The Song Remains The Same"

10) Any gory scene from "Slither"

11) Impaled Ming the Merciless in "Flash Gordon"(1980)

12) Dead Alive

12) F*** this, there're too many.

The dude that got part of his face chopped off in the House of Wax remake.

Freakin' OUCH! And he couldn't move, but you could still see his eyes roll up in his head....that was messed up.

Gore makes me giggle.
Now I feel bad for saying that :(
Wait...
Not really.

SpeedballLives said:
Gore makes me giggle.

algore.jpg

Gore is a pathetic replacement for atmosphere in the horror genre.

Pazzi and Krendler's deaths in Hannibal.
The beheading and the throat slashing in Haute Tension.
Jason X
The end fight in Freddy vs. Jason
Kill Bill Volume 1
Sleepy Hollow
The Hills Have Eyes 2006
Candyman 1 and 2

The first scene of Cube. I mean c'mon, if that ain't unbeatable, I don't know what is. ;)

Also gotta mention just about everything in Hellraiser --- landmark gore there, in varieties ranging from skinless zombies to a very good amount of hooks ripping through flesh. :o

Poetic Chaos said:
Not as a rule, you clueless-snob.
2 different genres.

There are "Horror" movies, "Terror" movies, "Psychological Thrillers" and "Exploitation/Splatter" movies. But all of those can concievably fall under "Horror".

Believe it or not, some people are actually capable of seeing distinctions between things like that.

You honestly think the blood and blown-off heads/limbs in "Saving Private Ryan" were "pathetic replacements for atmosphere"? and could "Saving Private Ryan" not be called a "Horror" film.

You're too stiff in your judgement.

And Day of the Dead had a ton of gore, but there was nothing "pathetic" about it.

a huge ":down" to th^t post of yours.

Poetic Chaos said:

I think it's bad if it's a replacement for atmosphere, but if you have atmosphere, it's okay to throw gore in too.

Silent Hill: The cult leader getting raped with barbwire, and Alessa dancing in her raining blood.

:up:

The Llama said:
I think it's bad if it's a replacement for atmosphere, but if you have atmosphere, it's okay to throw gore in too.
Yeah, it was a really ignorant, foundlessly elitest thing to say and I suspect he just regurgitated it after, like, he heard Leonard Maltin or some other idiot say something similar. :o

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Yeah, it was a really ignorant, foundlessly elitest thing to say and I suspect he just regurgitated it after, like, he heard Leonard Maltin or some other idiot say something similar. :o

I don't know who Leonard Maltin is. And I formed this opinion on my own for every achilles I've seen sliced, every nail broken off and every slow piercing needle/nail on screen in the last 5 years. I didn't know it was elitest to have an opinion.

Poetic Chaos said:
I don't know who Leonard Maltin is. And I formed this opinion on my own for every achilles I've seen sliced, every nail broken off and every slow piercing needle/nail on screen in the last 5 years. I didn't know it was elitest to have an opinion.
LOL, you're wrong in your assessment/dismissal of "gore", but I like th^t post. Lol:):up:

EDIT: p.s. Did you see my point, about how "Saving Private Ryan" was a "horror" film (horrors of war), and that the gore exhibited was not a "pathetic replacement" for "atmosphere", but rather, a means to creating "atmosphere"?

You,...lol...are aware that, on occasion, a good director can use "GORE" deftly, as a "color-in-his-pallette".....right?

^I don't think so. It works best in the genre that it originated in, horror.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"