Movies/ TV shows that would work for Netflix revivals

superman-mos

Civilian
Reaction score
Reboots and remakes seem to still be the thing to do right now and while not all of them have been bad they never seem to fair well. However Netflix has a pretty good track record of its original series and revivals. Ozark has been amazing and Voltron revival/reboot has been pretty awesome as well . So what shows or movies do you think Netflix could do justice to ? My picks

Ghostbusters : maybe not a live action show but a revival of a the Real Ghostbusters or an adaption of animated stories based off of the IDW series would go over really well

Knight Rider : a complete remake adding in modern technology

The Last Starfighter : a sequel series or film to the original

The Princess Bride : a sequel would be awesome

Thundercats : I enjoyed CN reboot but it never really caught on

Silverhawks: another great 80s toon that's due some love

Family Matters : a sequal series about The Winslow family

Firefly : what fan doesn't want this ?

These would be my top four for a Netflix series:

Robocop: Follows Murphy before and after his "death" in a brutal near future Detroit reminiscent of Children of Men, heavily inspired by the 87 film and Miller Comics with plenty of modern social commentary and satire.

Terminator: a series that does not involve Sarah Connor or young John Connor, but follows a team of resistance fighters hunting down the last terminators after the destruction of Skynet in 2029.

GI Joe: a mature animated remake of Real American Hero with GI Joe as a black ops unit struggling to deal with the rise of a new radical terrorist movement that makes ISIS look like girl scouts.

Airwolf: I would follow a similar plot to the original, but with the Cold War elements updated to the War on Terror and with more of a cyberpunk feel. Airwolf itself would have an artificial intelligence, thermoptic camo, and Hawke piloting it using a neural interface.

TMNT: A modern episodic series with the CG-type aesthetic of the animated 2007 movie but a tad more faithful to the supporting characters (like April and Casey Jones) would be awesome and I'd think would be doable on a smaller budget.

He-Man, Ghostbusters, Thundercats, Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers, GI Joe, and She-Ra would all also be awesome with modern production values. Doesn't even need to be CG, because 2D animation can look pretty good too (Transformers: Robots in Disguise which is running right now on Netflix is 2D and looks good).

Or from the 90s, Gargoyles or Darkwing Duck! Or heck, if Young Justice could come back (but unfortunately not on Netflix), a revival of any of WB's classic TAS series would be amazing, I don't care if it's BTAS or STAS or BB or whatever else.

Airwolf reminds me of Blue Thunder. I'll bet that one ends up happening sometime, even if it's on something like Sy Fy as straight to video. :p

Speaking of Terminator....if FOX wants to properly revive their Alien or Predator franchises, I could see either or both of those doing moderately well as a TV series with the right concept. Seriously, with similar long-running sci-fi franchises on TV like BSG and Star Trek, I think Alien and/or Predator should be able to work as a TV series as neither of them inherently need a lot of CG when the original films in both franchises used a lot of practical effects.

Last edited:
As I was typing a revival of The Real Ghostbusters or an animated adaptation of the IDW Ghostbusters I got excited, both of those sounds amazing. I have to agree that Gargoyles, TMNT, He-Man, Air Wolf, and Robocop would all be amazing as well. I kind of figured with the success of Voltron they would follow up with another classic 80s or 90s toon .

Personally many video games failed adaptations. Many movie adaptation of video games are trying crank everything into 2h and change many details and rich storylines into something different making basically terrible adaptations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"