Mr. Terrific, just because....

what are his powers and how did he get them?

He doesn't have any powers. He's a master of multiple martial arts, and he hold doctorates in multiple sciences. One of the Smartest guys on the DC Earth. He also has these T-Spheres which are devices that do anything from, holograms, to hacking computers.

ang_hulk said:
what are his powers and how did he get them?

Yeah, like Anubis said, he's not a meta or anything, he's just (supposedly) the smartest human on earth, has won multiple Olympic medals, is a master of several forms of martial arts and he built his costume to be non-detectable to ANY electronic device, kind of a a stealth suit, I think it's bullet-proof too. He's got the psychically controlled (I think) T-spheres that perform several functions, like act as projectiles and cameras and fire various gases and whatnot. His T-mask is made of some special compound where he can will it on and off and it acts as a gas mask and I think a re-breather. He's a lot like Batman, but with better technology and less anger.

His forte seems to be inventing and engineering. Batman was so impressed with his T-spheres that he stole the design and used them as a method of delivering emergency instructions to the JLA. He also tends to assist Dr. Mid-Nite in all of the JSA's medical procedures, so I guess one of his doctorates might be an MD or some kind of biological science.

DC doesn't care about black people. Sorry I just couldn't resist.

sinewave said:
He's a lot like Batman, but with better technology and less anger.

Yeah, his is more grief. I've seen many a issue where he's reminising on his dead wife.

That's the basis for a really interesting character arc in JSA where Dr. Mid-Nite tries to expose Mr. Terrific to spirituality and stuff to help him get over his wife's death. That's the really tragic part about it: Terrific's so smart and so devoted to science that he can't even let himself believe in a Heaven to allow himself the comfort of believing his wife may be in a better place.

TheCorpulent1 said:
That's the basis for a really interesting character arc in JSA where Dr. Mid-Nite tries to expose Mr. Terrific to spirituality and stuff to help him get over his wife's death. That's the really tragic part about it: Terrific's so smart and so devoted to science that he can't even let himself believe in a Heaven to allow himself the comfort of believing his wife may be in a better place.

That...that makes no sence whatsoever. I mean, considering that one of the founding members of the JSA was a frickin' ANGEL, isn't that proof enough?

Just because a guy says he's an angel doesn't mean he is one.

Anubis said:
Just because a guy says he's an angel doesn't mean he is one.

There's also JLA member Zaurael. The fact that Wonder Woman exists is proof of SOME sort of diety in the world. Green Arrow left heaven.

You see what I mean?

That doesn't mean anything. The Spectre is powerful, sure, but Dr. Fate is nearly as powerful at his best and he makes no claims to being in any way associated with Heaven or a real God. How is Zauriel supposed to prove to Terrific that he's from Heaven and that there is a God? Superman's a totally mortal alien and he's far more powerful than Zauriel, and Green Lantern flies around with a ring so technologically advanced on his finger that it's indistinguishable from magic, so Zauriel's impressive powers or Heavenly gifts won't prove anything. I think you're underestimating the power of skepticism.

Sure I see what you mean, but the thing is, he's a scientist. And like most scientists, he's skeptical about such things. Especially if he hasn't seen the proof with his own eyes. Like for instance, GA, died and was in heaven for a good while. He knows whats out there. Terrfic hasn't been there, so how is he to know. Especially with all the other stuff you have to contend with. Like you said, WW and her Gods. THe New Gods. God like beings showing up every month trying to take over the universe. I can understand why most people would be a bit skeptical. As a man of science, such beings are just one more all powerful being with a claim to God hood.

That said, I belive he's already come to terms with all that. I forgot what issue, but I know it happened. I gotta go back and look. I'll probally get back to everybody with that. Or somebody else can post it.

Anubis said:
Sure I see what you mean, but the thing is, he's a scientist. And like most scientists, he's skeptical about such things.

No offence, but that's really stereotypic and mostly wrong.

Honestly, last year in my Biology class, my teacher gave all of us a lecture about this. While there are certainly the hard-core athiests in the field, it's actually the minority. Most scientists either try to credit both ideas (evolution and creationism), or just don't care about it and just try to explain things in their world.

Doesn't matter what most scientists believe, it's been stated in the comics that Mr. Terrific doesn't believe in God. Whether that puts him in the majority or minority among other scientists is another story.

I love apple Martini's

Darkknightjrk said:
No offence, but that's really stereotypic and mostly wrong.

Honestly, last year in my Biology class, my teacher gave all of us a lecture about this. While there are certainly the hard-core athiests in the field, it's actually the minority. Most scientists either try to credit both ideas (evolution and creationism), or just don't care about it and just try to explain things in their world.

Your right, and I shouldn't have made the generalization. So, many scientists are in fact atheists and or agnostic.

I have heard of heard of Mr Terrific but never read anything of him in in it but this thread has got me intrested in the character. Is there any sites with a bio or backsrory on the character. Does he have any arch enemies or anything.

The way i figure it, and I am a scientific guy, is that God exists, that God runs physics and such, and lets everything run, like evolution. We don't need magical explanation. He IS science. The only way you can believe in evolution AND God is that you don't take the Bible literally, and I believe they are parables meant to teach lessons.

But Mr. Terrific is SO cool...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"