Multiverse shuts down: Firefly, Buffy MMOs officially dead

zenith16

Avenger
Reaction score
Multiverse shuts down: Firefly, Buffy MMOs officially dead

(33 minutes ago)
Culture, MMO industry, News items, Miscellaneous

It may be 2012, but 2011 isn't finished claiming its victims just yet. As discovered by Ten Ton Hammer, the team behind the Multiverse development platform has officially pulled the plug due to lack of funding. If that name doesn't ring a bell, we're sure you've heard of the two IPs most closely associated with it.

Multiverse was slated to be the engine powering both the Firefly and Buffy the Vampire Slayer MMOs, but as of December 7, 2011, fans will have to look elsewhere for their Whedonverse fix. There is always Firefly Universe Online, but due to the unauthorized nature of the project and the lack of updates, we're not holding our breath.

yup that's right I didn't know this was happening (or if I did I most likely forgot cause the idea of it....) I bet you didn't ether. and I'm very very sure that now that most Joss Whedon fans of the this franchises have seen this news their having a sigh of relief.

enjoy and discussions in session .

Last edited:
Firefly MMO gets a possible second shot at the stars

(19 hours ago)

While Multiverse, the development platform that was supposed to be the driving force for possible Buffy and Firefly MMOs, suffered a studio shutdown, the source code lives -- and has been snatched up by the newly formed Multiverse Foundation. Fortunately for those who were holding out hope for an online version of Joss Whedon's scifi western, it looks as though this new company wants to pick up where the previous team left off.

Massively was contacted by Tristan Bacon, head of communications for Multiverse Foundation. He says that the company has acquired the source code and is "starting work full-time on the actual MMO creation platform." Bacon says that if there is still interest from fans, the team intends to use the platform to make a Firefly MMO.

Don't get overexcited at the prospect of saddling up for the 'verse in your own ship, however, as this might be as long a shot as it ever was. There are substantial obstacles to overcome, including permission to use the IP. Bacon also says that the current team is just a small group of volunteers working on it in their spare time, and would appreciate more developers to sign on to the project.

More coverage: Multiverse Foundation homepage

source:massively

discussion in session

Firefly Universe Online reactivates with Fox's 'well wishes'

(9 minutes ago)
Betas, Sci-fi, Business models, New titles, Crowdfunding

Is the dream of a Firefly MMO still flying? The folks at DarkCryo Entertainment think so. The unlikely project seemed doomed due to an unauthorized use of the IP, but that may have changed.

DarkCryo posted a notice on the project's Facebook page indicating that Fox has given something of a go-ahead: "With the well wishes of Fox Entertainment Group, we have reactivated the FUO MMORPG Facebook page in preparation for our upcoming Kickstarter campaign. A popular alpha launch may re-awaken licensing consideration, in which case we may then include an expansion pack containing derivative content."

According to the counter on the front page, the crowdsourcing attempt to fund further development will begin in 16 days. Firefly Universe Online was officially (or unofficially, as the case may be) announced back in June of 2011.

[Thanks to Tarka for the tip!]

Firefly Universe Online continuation revealed as a hoax

(1 hour ago)
Culture, MMO industry, News items, Miscellaneous, Crowdfunding

Did you think that the promise of Firefly Universe Online coming to life seemed a bit too good to be true? Or at least a bit unlikely? Because as it turns out, cynicism was the right attitude to take for this particular bit of news. The entire announcement that the game had the go-ahead to proceed was nothing more than a hoax. So we still won't see this particular version of the Firefly MMO project come to fruition, although not for the reason that many people expected.

As argued by Kotaku, the hoax was perpetuated by The Yes Men, a strongly anticonsumerist group that apparently thought the best platform for this particular parody was a relatively obscure science fiction show. At this point it's not clear exactly what statement the group was attempting to make, although some sort of spoof on Kickstarter seems the most likely target. Either way, hopes for a Firefly MMO remain unrealized -- and at this point if such a game ever does get approved, we won't believe it's real until it's on the shelf.

Firefly Online coming to mobile devices in 2014

(5 hours ago)
Sci-Fi, Trailers, Video, New Titles, Free-to-Play, Mobile

Well Browncoats, it's true: Firefly Online is about to be a thing. It may not be as big of a thing as you may have hoped, however. Developer Quantum Mechanix Interactive revealed that the title will be a mobile game for the iOS and Android platforms. It looks to have the full support of Fox and is scheduled to hit the app stores in summer 2014.

QMx is aiming to both misbehave and to recreate the Firefly experience for wannabe captains. Players will customize their ships, hire a crew, and seek jobs in the 'Verse.

This project is not to be confused with the dubious Firefly Universe Online. The official announcement trailer is after the jump. Continue Reading

It'll never replace the show /sobs in a corner

RSS
generic.png

General : Firefly Online: First Game Play Video Released

Posted Jul 25, 2014

The first-ever Firefly Online game play trailer has been released. The game is centered around Joss Whedon's Firefly television program and is considered a strategic roleplaying game. Does the IP interest you? What do you think of the video? Let us know in the comments.
via: PCGamer

[YT]8y98otfH9X8[/YT]

| 0 comments
Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm#bDE3Fr2D4wKoJSBR.99

source:MMORPG.com

Firefly Online

Done the impossible: Firefly cast brought back together for Firefly Online

20 April 2015 • 11 hours 24 min ago •

firefly%20online%20cast%20reunion%20lkasnd_0.png

[YT]lcL1X3xY22Q[/YT]
The makers of Firefly Online have done the impossible and brought the original cast of Firefly back together to record dialogue for their MMO. This is the first time the cast have appeared together since the movie tie-in Serenity, released way back in 2005.
I tell a white lie, there’s one cast member missing.
Read and Comment

source: pcgamesn.com

I saw this and remembered getting a Firefly MMO ship in a Lootcrate box a few months back and until I read the last post it confused the hell out of me. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"