• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MUSIC Score and More DISCUSSION

Wow, I might classify the theme as not very memorable - but certainly not irritating, especially to that level. I will pay better attention next time I watch.

emblemcomics said:
I really liked Ottman's work on both X2 & SR,
but I must say that the FF score just made the film worse.

To me, the main theme was be so irritating (instead of elevating),
that I had to skip parts while watching the film on DVD.

The music is the main reason I only watched the film once.

I hope he'd dump the original theme (seems unlikely).

I have to disagree, I hope the theme stays intact, and we hear it in its entirety.

Lightning Strikez! said:
That's so sad when an artist's creative work is ruined. I don't blame him.
I'm crossing my fingers for the much talked about extended dvd release next year.We'll finally get to hear all his work the way it should be, not on a cd.
TripleF said:
Thats not sad thats an outrage.:o I'm surprised he's back for the sequel.
He's said that it was a dream of his to do a sequel to his own score.This was probably the deciding factor when he was asked to return.

Retroman said:
I'm crossing my fingers for the much talked about extended dvd release next year.We'll finally get to hear all his work the way it should be, not on a cd.

He's said that it was a dream of his to do a sequel to his own score.This was probably the deciding factor when he was asked to return.

Yeah, but that was probably a Williams type of dream, as in Superman Theme. :cwink: Not, holy S***, I have to show people that I really can actually do the music right dream (then cross his fingers that the editing team doesn't chop the hell out of it.)

I listen to a lot of soundtracks and i would like to point out that even though there are many negative things that can be questioned about the ff soundtrack, there are alot of positive things to look at as well. I remember wondering what the ff soundtrack was going to to be like, and if i was going to love it and play it over and over in my head like many of John Williams memorable themes, and when i caught first sound of it in the ff teaser seek peak when they were on the bridge, i remember people picking at the background score, some even thought it was just filler music for the seek peak teaser, I like it at that moment, and i love in the movie john ottman is a fantastic composer he is a fan of williams and i'm willing to bet that he will be the next williams in the future. Give the man a break, he's still young i'm sure he gonna pull off the score for ff2 and i'm willing to bet that his themes will strike a memorable chord with ff fans and the average movie goer.

OTT is the MAN
FF2 ROTSS is going to be OFF THE HOOK!

:thing:

TripleF said:
Yeah, but that was probably a Williams type of dream, as in Superman Theme. :cwink: Not, holy S***, I have to show people that I really can actually do the music right dream (then cross his fingers that the editing team doesn't chop the hell out of it.)
True.:woot:
BETA3 said:
OTT is the MAN
You down with OTT? Yeah you know me. Who's down with OTT.Every last homie! lol

Ottman did a superb score for both X2 and especially SR, his FF one was only good, but wasnt a lot of it cut out by Fox?

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
Ottman did a superb score for both X2 and especially SR, his FF one was only good, but wasnt a lot of it cut out by Fox?

Yes, thats been mentioned quite a few times in the thread.

there are many parts in the film that burn in my mind, especially because of the music.

1. the reed and thing tussle (freak of the week).
  2. when reed is testing the other three (the human torch flaming on in the titanium box, and the almost going supernova scene.
  3. the love theme of reed and sue.
  4. when ben meets debs after the accident. (the horns give emotion to the scene).
  5. the cosmic storm scene.
  6. when doom was going to launch the heat seeking missile.
and well you get the picture, the music fits the movie well, there is one thing i'm not to sure of the piece the goes.

Da-da-dum-dum-dum....da-da-dum-DUM-DUM...da-da-dum-dum-dum..da-dum-dum...Da...Da ra ra...Da ra ra...Da ra ra...Da.

is this the fantastic four's offical theme music? because if it is, he also adds it in a slower more menacing beat in the Doctor Doom sequence.

DUM-DUM...dum-dum-dum,...dum-dum-dum,...Dom...Dom.

I agree to a post i read that the ff2 should have a theme song that is action packed and memorable in discribing the four, especially in the opening credits like spiderman or superman, the opening credits were the shortest of any superhero movie i've ever seen, it was a series of

Ta-ra-ra-ra....Ta-ra-ra-ra...Ta-ra-ra-ra...Ta-ra-ra-ra.

Mr. Ottman, on that note they need epic music, your stuff is fantastic, doom can keep the slow paced...

DUM-DUM...dum-dum-dum.

and for anyone who is thinking of using the word DUMB in thier post regerding what i just said don't even try it, there was no other way for me to imatate the music in writing, and it whould be very immature of you to do so.

thank you.

once again, to the future John Williams....

OTT is the MAN!

and i'm sure alot of people agree.

:thing:

I think Ottoman didnt explore his theme enough...at least from what I saw in the film. His score was okay but he couldve done a lot more things with it and he failed to do so...so Im giving him the benefit of the doubt and am hoping he go deeper into his themes this time around

04nbod pointed out this interview in another thread. In it Ottman mentions that he's may also be working on director/writer/producer Mattew Vaughn's Stardust which comes out in July.

http://chuckr7.hipcast.com/deluge/3adea8c1-5dd3-38cf-3dba-9df262e2f06e.mp3
http://www.kryptonfansite.com/INTERVIEWS.html

Interesting thing about this possible collaboration is that Vaughn was set to direct X-Men 3 (left shortly before filming started) a movie Ottman openly has said he would have loved to work on.I wonder if Vaughn was going use him if he didn't leave?Hmm...

From F4movies:

John Ottman Begins Work on Fantastic Four 2 More News
Friday February 16th, 2007

Last July we brought you the scoop on John Ottman returning to score Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. John has now informed us that he has officially begun to work on the score for the movie, and has shared some of his thoughts about the score with us (read on to see some of those).

On the Fan 4 Theme:
"Now that I've started working on the film, it feels good to be in familiar territory. It looks as though there might be more areas this time around to squeeze in the Fan 4 theme, and there's also a possibility the film may have a full-fledged title sequence this time around so I can introduce the theme properly and get the adrenaline going as I had wanted to in the first film. As many know, in the 11th hour on the first film, the title sequence was cut out, and so the Fan 4 theme wasn't able to be introduced in the traditions of these types of films. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed."

On the Silver Surfer and Previous Themes:
"What's fun about Fan 4 is that it's lighter fare which makes it easier to have fun musically without having to ride some careful darkly tinged line. The Silver Surfer offers new territory, and we're thinking of making his music a little more of a modern fusion between orchestra and electronics. It's too early to know exactly what I'll do yet. I also love how resurrecting the previous themes gives a cohesiveness between the two films, for instance the little love theme between Reed and Susan really keeps their personal story going from the first movie."

Thanks to John for keeping us all up-to-date on his progress with the movie, we hope that he has a great time putting together the score, and look forward to hearing what he has come up with over the coming months. You can check out his official website at JohnOttman.com.
Source: http://www.f4movies.com/news/0461.shtml

I think Ottoman didnt explore his theme enough...at least from what I saw in the film. His score was okay but he couldve done a lot more things with it and he failed to do so...so Im giving him the benefit of the doubt and am hoping he go deeper into his themes this time around

Have you heard the full score?

If you are going solely by the movie, it was Hoy that didn't explore Ottman's theme...:o

I think Ottman is pretty good, but not great. He's never made anything memorable. He didn't create the Superman march or the main X-Men theme. Just added to them.

He definetly gave the X-Men a recognizable theme different from Michael Kamen.I think he did great work on especially the Usual Suspects, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Superman Returns.

His X2 theme I believe was the best of the series, followed closely by X3's.

i was listening to the ff score this morning i lookforward to ff2" score

I think he succeeded in giving FF the type of score it needed. The characters are basically America's superhero family, so they needed kind of a heroic sweeping score with bits of sci-fi/ominous points in it.

UPDATE
Didn't know where else to post this....

Crucial Music Places Indie Artist Songs in 'Redline,' 'Men In Trees' and More

Crucial Music continues to score placements for indie artists in feature films and television such as Fantastic Four 2, Suburban Girl, Redline, CSI and Men In Trees.

Los Angeles, CA (Billboard Publicity Wire/PRWEB ) April 18, 2007 -- Crucial Music, an online service that connects independent artists and labels with music supervisors, creative directors and others who place music in film television and advertising, is continuing to make strides in the competitive world of music placements. Increasing visibility and a reputation for quality tracks and no-hassle clearance is resulting in prominent placements and repeat business for the Los Angeles-based company.

Crucial Music has secured numerous noteworthy placements including uses in several upcoming feature films: Suburban Girl, (based on the best-selling novel The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing) starring Sarah Michelle Geller and Alec Baldwin, will feature two tracks from crooner Ray Greene and one from jazz group Audio Paint; Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, starring Jessica Alba and Julian McMahon will use three classical tracks; and auto/action thriller Redline, starring Eddie Griffin, will feature a track from Nashville-based R&B artist Michael Inge, as well as the hip-hop track "Shut Down the Party" by HP, used in the opening credits and later in the film. Weiners, a straight-to-DVD teen production from Sony Pictures, will feature the song "Patiently Waiting" from Canadian pop artist Freddy as end title music, and use songs from Australian rock band Ground, and Jitty, an East Coast based hip-hop artist.

Notable recent television placements include uses from a variety of Crucial Music artists in Friday Night Lights (NBC), CSI (CBS), The Office (NBC), Veronica Mars (CW), Prison Break (Fox), Close To Home (CBS), Dexter (HBO), Sleeper Cell (Showtime) and multiple cues in Men In Trees (ABC), whose music supervisors have been impressed by the high caliber of music offered by the service. "Crucial Music is an excellent source for licensing authentic songs on a limited budget. They have an A-list roster of artists and songs and their website service is very simple and efficient," said Tricia Halloran, Music Supervisor for Men In Trees.

With a focus on quality, the searchable catalog of 100 % pre-cleared music has increased to nearly 2,000 tracks in multiple and diverse genres since the site http://www.crucialmusic.com was launched in June 2006. Submissions from both artists and labels have been steadily increasing, and new signings continue, including eclectic Seattle-based label Loveless Records, critically-acclaimed band Winterpills (on Boston-based Signature Sounds Recordings), and Swedish indie-rock band The Elliots, who had a song placed in CBS's Close To Home almost immediately after signing with the service.

"I've been amazed at the talent submitting music online and mailing us CDs," said Tanvi Patel, Executive VP/Managing Partner of Crucial Music. "We've been very pleased with the amount of artists and labels who want to work with us. Our catalog has grown exponentially over the last year, and music supervisors seem to like what they are hearing. The proof is in the pudding with repeat business from them in Men In Trees, Friday Night Lights, and Veronica Mars."

Crucial Music encourages artists and labels representing all genres to submit music, which can be done very easily through the website. Once a song(s), is accepted, a non-exclusive representation agreement is executed and the music is added to the online database and made available on portable hard drives. When a particular track is selected for placement, Crucial Music negotiates a rate for the license, including the master use and synch fees, of which 50 percent goes to the label or artist. Access to the Crucial Music service to both artists submitting music and those seeking music for placement is entirely free of charge.

Crucial Music is the brainchild of industry veterans Jim Long and Tanvi Patel. Long is a recognized leader in the music business with successful ventures that include investment, ownership, and operations of award-winning broadcast and entertainment companies including TM Productions, FirstCom, and OneMusic Corporation. He continues to own and operate Point Classics, LLC, one of the world's largest classical music catalogs. Patel provides insight into the needs of both artist and producer and brings vast experience from the fields of radio broadcasting, record label operations, and the production music library business.

For a complete list of recent placements, see:
http://www.crucialmusic.com/whats_crucial/crucial_successes

For more information:
Tanvi Patel/Crucial Music
310-858-9586 x101

# # #
Source: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2007/4/prweb519495.htm

Probably most will be around the wedding portion....."Greensleves" or something....

Updates
Some more news on the score incl a pic (can anyone make out what's on the screen?) of Ottman at work.Things are shaping!:woot:

From orchestrator Frank Macchia's myspace:

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Orchestrations for Fantastic Four 2:Rise of the Silver Surfer
Category: Music

I just completed orchestrating music by composer John Ottman for the June 2007 film "Fantastic Four 2:Rise of the Silver Surfer. The lead orchestrator and conductor was Damon Intrabartolo and recording finished at Fox Studios Newman Scoring Stage this week. It looks like a great film!
Source: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...yToken=a0814bdb-ddfa-4755-b6d4-3c5cfd7bcae7ML

From John Ottman's official site:
May 8th, 2007 - John has been recording his score to Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, and will be finished shortly. A score album is planned!
Source: http://www.johnottman.com/news/

From Sennheiser USA:
THE TREND IN HOLLYWOOD IS KLEIN + HUMMEL

05.02.07 LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Prolific film composer John Ottman is used to working on the best-equipped stages in Hollywood, and recently discovered a way to bring the huge sound that he hears during scoring sessions to his home-based writing room. Inspired by the sound he heard emanating from the monitor system belonging to his regular music mixer, Casey Stone, Ottman has now installed a pair of Klein + Hummel O 300 D speakers together with a K+H O 800 subwoofer at his private facility.

050207image1uj5.jpg

Film composer John Ottman used his Klein + Hummel O 300 D monitors to score the upcoming June release, "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer."

Ottman reveals that he was sold on the sound of the K+H three-way, self-powered monitors during scoring sessions last year for "Superman Returns." He was convinced he must have been listening to the soffited main monitor system in the control room. "When you go to those large recording studios there are these massive speakers built into the walls, and you have this conception that those are going to give you the biggest, most realistic sound. When Casey flipped the switch over to his K+H monitors I didn't even know that he had. I said, are you sure you don't have the main speakers on? So I thought, if I could bring that sound home, that would be good."

The compact nature of the O 300 D monitor, which measures just 10 inches high by 15 inches wide and 11.5 inches deep, belies the size of the sound it produces. "I think they just give a big, warm sound, in addition to faithfully reproducing the sound of the orchestra," says Ottman. "There's nothing harsh about them, and with the subwoofer they're just terrific."

Ottman is currently using his K+H monitors while scoring "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer," having also worked on 2005's "Fantastic Four," and will shortly begin work on "The Invasion," a film inspired by "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" that stars Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig. The K+H monitors are ideal for high-energy adventure film scores, he says. "But these monitors are great in the quiet cues, too, because you can hear a lot of detail. You can have a quiet underscoring moment underneath dialog and still hear every little detail, especially with the subwoofer. You can totally hear the pizzicato bass."

Stone, who has been Ottman's regular music mixer since they first worked together on the score for "Halloween H20" in 1998, has been taking his own K+H monitor setup to scoring sessions for several years. "I fell in love with the sound," comments Ottman. "I said, those are cool, I like the little red lights on the front! I also figured, since he's my mixer, it would make sense to have the same speakers at home when I do my synthesizer mockups."

Ottman subsequently installed a pair of the O 300 D monitors plus an O 800 subwoofer in his private writing room. "I have a pretty basic home studio," he says. "I have a Yamaha MOTIF ES8 keyboard, two Tascam GigaStudios, a couple of PCs running V-STACK and a couple of monitor screens."

Not just a busy composer, orchestrator and arranger, Ottman also has a directing credit for "Urban Legends: Final Cut." He has scored a string of Bryan Singer-directed projects, including "The Usual Suspects," "Apt Pupil," "X-Men 2" and "Superman Returns," and, unusually, was also the film editor on all four films.

And it isn't only Ottman who has followed Stone's lead and adopted the K+H monitors. "Actually, the whole team has changed over," Ottman reports. "My music editor, Amanda Goodpaster, just bought a pair as well, so now we all have the exact same setup."

Klein + Hummel is a Sennheiser Group company. Its products are distributed exclusively in the United States, Mexico, Central and South America, and the Caribbean by Sennheiser Electronic Corporation.

www.sennheiserusa.com
www.klein-hummel.com
Source:http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/newspage.asp?transid=3184&transid0=001

Is anyone interested in the score? lol

Theres some FF music on the official site. Sounds a little like the theme from the first music but different. Wonder if this is a sneak at Ottman's stuff?
http://www.fantasticfourmovie.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"