Justice League My choice for Justice League 2 director: Miguel Sapochnik

FunkMiller

Failed Experiment
Reaction score
I've just watched Game Of Thrones episode 9 'The Battle Of The Bastards'.

I obviously won't go into spoilers for it here, but can safely say that Miguel Sapochnik is an enormously talented director who WB should definitely be speaking to about Justice League 2 - or any other DCEU movies for that matter.

Sapochnik has consistently delivered episodes of high quality across the time he's been directing GoT episodes (including the amazing Hardhome), but Battle Of The Bastards is conclusive proof that the man can handle huge set pieces, married with great character work.

There is a tracking shot during the battle featuring Jon Snow that basically ****s over more or less every other continuous shot I've seen in a long time. His grasp on geography is fantastic, and his framing of huge elements of battle is excellent.

Sapochnik could quite easily handle a massive DC movie :up:

Seriously, even if you're not a fan of Thrones, I'd say go watch this episode as an exercise in movie direction. You wont be disappointed.

main-qimg-53b9fef742059b54cd3357af727db678

Alan Taylor directed 6 Game of Thrones episodes. He also directed Thor: The Dark World & Terminator Genisys.

Miguel Sapochnik directed Repo Man which sits at 22% on RT based on 146 reviews, with an average rating of 4.2 out of 10 and made 18 million world wide on a 32 million budget.

Directors have all the control on movies, while the writers/producers do on TV.

Last edited:
Yeah it's harder to even guess what you'll get when a TV director moves into film. They're just not really the same sorta beast. You go from stepping into an already well oiled machine to basically having to build the whole machine yourself.

I've just watched Game Of Thrones episode 9 'The Battle Of The Bastards'.

I obviously won't go into spoilers for it here, but can safely say that Miguel Sapochnik is an enormously talented director who WB should definitely be speaking to about Justice League 2 - or any other DCEU movies for that matter.

Sapochnik has consistently delivered episodes of high quality across the time he's been directing GoT episodes (including the amazing Hardhome), but Battle Of The Bastards is conclusive proof that the man can handle huge set pieces, married with great character work.

There is a tracking shot during the battle featuring Jon Snow that basically ****s over more or less every other continuous shot I've seen in a long time. His grasp on geography is fantastic, and his framing of huge elements of battle is excellent.

Sapochnik could quite easily handle a massive DC movie :up:

Seriously, even if you're not a fan of Thrones, I'd say go watch this episode as an exercise in movie direction. You wont be disappointed.

it was an incredible episode, and you make a good case for why he'd be a great pick for part 2. i'd certainly be open to it, and new blood, especially talented new blood, is always welcome.

to da scribe's point, i wonder if jl really would be much different than got. like got, i'm guessing warners will have a lot of pre-production done for whomever they hire to direct. all the same, i'd be surprised if they hired an unknown for the film.

Yeah it's harder to even guess what you'll get when a TV director moves into film. They're just not really the same sorta beast. You go from stepping into an already well oiled machine to basically having to build the whole machine yourself.

Er... That's not how major movies get made. There will be as much of a well oiled machine for JL2 as there has been for GoT - if not more so, and before a director is chosen I'd say.

And there's nothing in a major motion picture really bigger than some of the things they've done on Thrones. Sapochnik has the ability to make a DC movie.

Alan Taylor directed 6 Game of Thrones episodes. He also directed Thor: The Dark World & Terminator Genisys.

Miguel Sapochnik directed Repo Man which sits at 22% on RT based on 146 reviews, with an average rating of 4.2 out of 10 and made 18 million world wide on a 32 million budget.

Directors have all the control on movies, while the writers/producers do on TV.

You've never heard of Kevin Feige, I assume?

Er... That's not how major movies get made. There will be as much of a well oiled machine for JL2 as there has been for GoT - if not more so, and before a director is chosen I'd say.

And there's nothing in a major motion picture really bigger than some of the things they've done on Thrones. Sapochnik has the ability to make a DC movie.

It's still different. I'm not saying the guy ain't talented, but the duties just aren't quite the same. You direct an episode of TV, you're not the king. The writer is. That's the person you have to please. You direct a film, you're the king. So for me, I'd just be cautious about handing over such a large tentpole to a guy not completely accustomed to being the ultimate decider on set. It's just a lot more responsibility and even talented TV directors can sometimes cave under pressure. Again, not saying he couldn't do it. Just saying that him directing a couple of great episodes of TV might not necessarily be the best indicator.

I'd personally just rather have someone who has directed good films, even if they aren't in the same genre. Like Famuyiwa. He knows how to tell a story about young people. He knows how to add levity, whilst maintaining really heavy subtext. He also knows how to make the characters feel like real people instead falling head first into stereotypes. And I know for sure he's the one making these calls. So, I trust him with a bigger film more than I would a really skilled TV director that made great episodes under the approval of someone else.

There's thread called who should direct the sequel. Should've posted this there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"