Justice League Ben Affleck Offered to Direct Justice League

Fleischer for JL? Awesome. I thought he would do Flash, but this would make sense.

I think Fleischer could be a good choice. But if that were to happen, this movie would have the same writer AND director of Gangster Squad, so...I really hope GS turns out to be good, lol. I wasn't completely sold by the trailer.

Yeah, if both the writer and the director of Gangster Squad are onboard this thing and that movie ends up sucking....Well, let's give them the benfit of the doubt and assume it doesn't unless shown otherwise. I don't know what to think about Fleischer doing JL.

I think Fleischer could be a good choice. But if that were to happen, this movie would have the same writer AND director of Gangster Squad, so...I really hope GS turns out to be good, lol. I wasn't completely sold by the trailer.

Me too. And I think Fleischer has a mixed track record thus far -- Zombieland was good, but 30 Minutes or Less was awful. Gangster Squad looks like it could be a return to form, but I'm not too hopeful right now.

I think WB needs to secure a director who's also comfortable with handling plentiful CGI shots, as well as solid direction.

Me too. And I think Fleischer has a mixed track record thus far -- Zombieland was good, but 30 Minutes or Less was awful. Gangster Squad looks like it could be a return to form, but I'm not too hopeful right now.

I think WB needs to secure a director who's also comfortable with handling plentiful CGI shots, as well as solid direction.
I actually liked 30 Minutes or Less.

I like the trailers for Gangster Squad, it gives off a "fun" vibe even though it's a gangster flick.

I thought the trailer was fine. The cast and the 'blacklist' script have sold it for me. So we'll see but I got a good feeling about Gangster Squad.

I want the movie theater shooting scene back though. I like movie theaters.

Affleck still not doing JL. Shocked... lol.

I wonder if John Hillcoat would be someone WB looks at. He has Lawless coming out, but he also did The Road (awesome movie, imho) and The Proposition which is also a solid movie.

I approve of the Fleisher choice if it pans out :up:

Fleisher might be really good. If Gangster Squad is as great as it looks, then I'm all for it.

Zombieland was a pleasant surprise and Gangster Squad looks badass, so I'm sold most definitely with Ruben. Incidentally, he'll be reunited with Beall for the film so this could be a fantastic set up.

That's a great list. I think Duncan Jones is a little too sci-fi, maybe he would do well for Flash. Refn is a little too gritty/violent. I would love for him to do Batman but i think they'll want more fantasy so i dont think he'll direct any DC characters.

Pfister is way too soon for any of this in my opinion.

Cuaron, Johnson, Fleischer, Yates, Bird have the best chance i think. If they want a big, lighter tone, fun movie then Brad Bird is the guy but i dont want that personally. I don't want this to be like Avengers and i dont think they're after that if theyre looking into Affleck/Fleischer. David Yates is another one that i dont want because i dont like any of his movies. Alfonso Cuaron would be a really interesting choice but i cant imagine a JL movie under this guy, maybe the Bat reboot.

Rian Johnson could be a great choice if Looper does well, there's your ticket to Emily Blunt: for all of you out there who want her as Wonder Woman. Also he has a strong connection to JGL so maybe he'll do a Batman Beyond or Nightwing thing with him LOL. Yeah it wont happen but he could be the guy to do it if it were happening.

Overall i think Ruben Fleischer is the best pick. But Guillermo del Toro, what kind of chances do you think this guy has of directing Justice League?? I'm not a fan of his style & i dont think he would fit (that's just an assumption) but maybe they'll try to hire him since he seems to be a popular choice for comic book movies. Everyone seems to like this guy.

Last edited:
Thank goodness Afleck isn't on this.

Such a choice would be as aimless as getting the talented Campbell on GL. If they don't have an affinity for the material stop pretending they do. I can see a world where Afleck like Nolan kinda melds his sensibilities into a Batman series(not without it's faults, mainly the more comicbook elements) but not this. WB needs to stop messing up on this front.

Avengers worked for a few reasons, one of which being it was developed by one of the best comic book writers around who will every day profess his love for the medium. If you want that sort of success find someone similar. At this point they have a few people working for their studio who approach such a criteria and can handle big fun genre pictures.

Del Torro
Peter Jackson
Snyder is the obvious choice. (Another Nolan god fathered outing would be met with nothing but safe praise yet again).

Ben Freaking Afleck seriously?

If Ben Affleck wanted to do the film I think it would have been amazing. However, out of all of WB's "go-to" directors I think I would be most comfortable with David Yates to helm Justice League tbqh.

That's a great list. I think Duncan Jones is a little too sci-fi, maybe he would do well for Flash. Refn is a little too gritty/violent. I would love for him to do Batman but i think they'll want more fantasy so i dont think he'll direct any DC characters.
Duncan Jones is a pretty big comic fan.

Duncan Jones was in the running for Man Of Steel and The Wolverine.

He was offered the new Judge Dredd movie to direct but turned it down because he had an idea for a Judge Dredd movie he always wanted to make that was different although he did like the script.

I don't think he will direct a Batman movie having said this

"[Wolverine is] more interesting to me than Batman," Jones told IGN at the event. "A good Wolverine film could be an amazing thing."

Hiring Ben doesn't ensure an Afleck style Drama. Hiring him on a studio picture of this nature(of all things) means he has to somehow find a way to make a solid "Studio" picture. Quite frankly I don't think he has it in him. I see him ducking in the world of films built for credibility.

Just imagine they offered Aleck The Hobbit? It would be obvious where his short comings lie at that point. However, could Whedon or Del Torro or their ilk handle such a film? Offering Afleck JLA is no different imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"