1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

The ballot is here! Voting will end Feb. 4th!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

Namor the Sub-Mariner

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by bengali, May 13, 2006.

1. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

Batgirl0202 likes this.
  2. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    We've known this a long time ago.

If Marvel Studios had distribution rights, we would have seen Marvel Studios' Namor probably in phase 2 or 3.

3. Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

Concept art:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Silvermoth and Batgirl0202 like this.
  4. Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

https://www.thewrap.com/wakanda-forever-namor-spinoff-movie-marvel-rights/

Re-iterating the reason a classic Defenders Film is a must to develop (a return to Savage) Hulk and Namor, done right it's the best vehicle for two of the most sensational and volatile characters in the Marvel U.

[​IMG]

#1054 Mondragon, Nov 26, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    Iceman, Venom 1988 and Batgirl0202 like this.
  5. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    What is the main jist of the Defenders though? Its going to be like Avengers but with a smaller roster and NetfliX Marvel already used that name. Namor is probably going to appear in an Avengers movie because where else would he appear but in that movie, unless they sidelined him as a Black Panther character Wakanda forever.

6. Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

Pretty much...
    [​IMG] ...arrogance.:word:

#1056 Mondragon, Nov 26, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    Batgirl0202 and Iceman like this.
  7. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    Avengers in the MCU is basically a huge team up movie with the whos who of the MCU. Infinity War and Endgame didn't really have an Avengers team for eXample.

Thunderbolts (in the MCU) in the other hand are merely supporting characters/anti-heroes/villains coming together. And from what I've read, their description is more clear than Defenders. Defenders imo, don't really have a clear definition, thats why it was easily chosen as the name for NetfliX's Avengers counterpart.

8. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah this raises the importance of a home like that for characters like this even more. Plus it would be all kinds of awesome in its own right.

Batgirl0202 and Mondragon like this.
  9. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Haha. Namor and Strange are the height of arrogance. My boy Hulk is fine though lol. Maybe they need Surfer to balance out the team with some galactic humility. Valkyrie can join too but she might not quite so humble. :D

Batgirl0202 and Mondragon like this.
  10. Bayne Registered

Namor's got plenty of possible connections. History with the Fantastic Four, the Avengers, the X-men. As king/god of Talokan he's a natural fit for anything involving global superhero politics, which could easily include things like Thunderbolts or any project that includes Dr. Doom or Wakanda, etc. It's just a question of which connections they choose to make use of in the end. (And they are also free to create new ones, anyway - introducing Kang in an Antman movie isn't exactly comics inspired.)

11. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    I know his connections with the X-Men and the Fantastic Four as I have mentioned before, but those teams are still years away and haven't been introduced yet in the MCU. Now why should we eXpect him to show up in Marvel Studios' 4 and Marvel Studios' X-Men. Even the possibility of him interacting with those teams (in their own movie), thats possibly a decade away from happening and both teams have a large supporting cast from the comiX anyway.

12. Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

It's more about how much would they appear (as per his rights status (like the Hulk) not able to appear in his own films) someone wanting to see Namor further developed in ernest. He'd go under developed cameoing in the already stacked Avengers, with it's already fixed "end-game".
    The point is Defenders being it's own "non-team" but built on a separate events, would be somewhere they could dedicate much more to both characters.

By extension also becomes a good vehicle with room to expand on the more volatile and savage Hulk again, whose become somewhat rebranded (smart Hulk) and tamed, reduced to one not joke appearances in the Avengers franchise.
    Defenders allows the two "rights" compromised characters, who deserve to be developed through their own films, to be front and center. As well as explore the funnest most explosive "non-team" dynamic.

[​IMG]

#1062 Mondragon, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  13. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    Defenders is already taken though, as I've mentioned before. The name was already used by that NetfliX show, which is now streaming only on Disney+.

14. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

You could always stick Hulk and Namor in Doctor Strange 3. Just don't give the team a name

Lily Adler and Iceman like this.
  15. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (she/her)

Doctor Strange: Defenders of Plot Device.

Spider-Fan likes this.
  16. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

Mind you, the rumour is that those rights return to Disney next year so maybe it’s a “here and now” thing that they’re referring to.

But if they’re never getting solo films then a Defenders series of films is a must. Netflix show be damned. It was **** anyway.

Batgirl0202 likes this.
  17. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Do you mean the rights for just Hulk or for others as well?

Batgirl0202 likes this.
  18. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

The main rumour was that the Hulk rights revert in June 2023, (there are some legal documents which give some credence to this) and after Nate Moore made his comments it was reiterated by people within that leak/rumour arena that not only are the Hulk rights still on track to return, Namor’s rights could return within the next two years as well. Marvel didn’t sell the rights in perpetuity.

19. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Oh great. Hope it’s all true. I remember you telling me about the Hulk rights a month or so ago. Hopefully it’s the case with Namor too as I love this MCU interpretation of him. If the real Defenders ever got announced it would instantly be one of my most anticipated projects.

Batgirl0202 and Roose Bolton like this.
  20. Silvermoth Krakoan native

Such a shame though. I always wanted to do like, an Edward scissorhands or phantom of the opera type thing except the beauty who tames the beast is just…not that nice a person. I think that would be fun

Batgirl0202 likes this.
  21. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    I just don't see the point of having an Avengers-like team movie.

Dr. Strange and Hulk were together in Infinity War. Dr. Strange, Hulk and.Valkyrie were on Endgame. Hulk and Valkyrie were in Ragnarok. So that just leaves the Silver Surfer and Namor. Its probably more beneficial if they save these team ups to Avengers and solo films.

22. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

Because the Avengers films did jack **** with Strange and Hulk’s friendship from the comics and they wouldn’t do much better adding Namor and Surfer into the mix.

Mondragon likes this.
  23. Originalavenger Registered

June 6th 3023 is the date!! Fingers crossed this is true!!

24. Originalavenger Registered

2023!! SMH

Batgirl0202 and Roose Bolton like this.
  25. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    So 15 years since The Incredible Hulk.

Universal Pictures should have just worked with Marvel Studios for

Marvel Studios' Hulk 2
    Marvel Studios' Hulk 3
    Marvel Studios' Namor
    Marvel Studios' Namor 2
    Marvel Studios' Namor 3

They probably would get some healthy money from it.

Iceman likes this.