Nativity (can this be this year's The Passion of the Christ?)

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
Keisha Castle-Hughes has signed up for the lead as the Virgin Mary in New Line's Nativity, reports Variety.

The 15-year-old, who toplined 2003's Whale Rider, will portray Mary over the two-year period leading up to the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem. Wyck Godfrey and Marty Bowen are producing Nativity, and Catherine Hardwicke is directing Mike Rich's script.

Castle-Hughes, a native of Australia who moved to New Zealand when she was four, starred last year as the Queen of Naboo in Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith.

Nativity is being fast-tracked, with shooting to begin in May in Italy and Morocco; aim is to release the film the first weekend of December.

fascinating. Sounds lame as hell. But who knows, if it's the only thing out that week I'll go see it.

I don't think THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST suggested that God raped Mary.

The Guard said:
I don't think THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST suggested that God raped Mary.

...Where the hell did you get THAT from the article? :confused:

I don't think the film will do well. Most people on the boards here are pretty disappointed in the whole Christian Mythology, and probably wouldn't see a film like this.

If people take the time to read many posts here on the boards, there is a pretty anti-religious theme that is prevalent, and this would likely transcend into the cinemas. I can't understand why producers would want to make a film of this background due to this. The Passion was a fluke. I don't see another religious film with Christianity doing as well.

Catherine Hardwicke directed Thirteen I think. I hear that Tyler Perry's films do well and they deal with Christianity don't they?

The Storm said:
Catherine Hardwicke directed Thirteen I think. I hear that Tyler Perry's films do well and they deal with Christianity don't they?

That's a good point.

dpm07 said:
I don't think the film will do well. Most people on the boards here are pretty disappointed in the whole Christian Mythology, and probably wouldn't see a film like this.

If people take the time to read many posts here on the boards, there is a pretty anti-religious theme that is prevalent, and this would likely transcend into the cinemas. I can't understand why producers would want to make a film of this background due to this. The Passion was a fluke. I don't see another religious film with Christianity doing as well.

because these boards are a reflection of society as a whole, right?...

LetsHangBendis said:
He kinda did? Or it was a Roman Soldier. however you like to look at it.

What a distorted and ignorant theory.

dpm07 said:

A fluke? Well. . . let's see:

Domestic: $370,782,930 60.6%
+ Foreign: $241,116,490 39.4%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Worldwide: $611,899,420

Oh. . . and it's ranked 10 in the All Time Domestic Box Office

Yeah. . . I guess that was a really big fluke :rolleyes:

It's metaphorical rape, not literal, as I understand it. The idea is that Mary essentially has no choice in what she is asked to do. And the film supposedly deals with how it affects her.

No means NO, even for Mary. God didn't ask to impregnate her, he informed her.

I want to see this only so I can stand up after it's over and say as loud as I can "What great fiction!" :D :up:

MaskedManJRK said:
...Where the hell did you get THAT from the article? :confused:
don't you know? these films sell on SHOCK :eek: value. so god will rape mary, then joseph will slap her around a bit for being unfaithful. then they will walk 15000 milks to bethlahem, and the manger they're in will be worse than a sewer.

seeing what a hard time she went through will guilt people into becoming better christians.

will a different actress portray an older Mary or is the story primarily focused on those 2 years leading up to the birth?

I'm really into following whatever this director, Catherine Hardwicke is doing. I've loved both her previous movies and I read the book about the subject of what was GOING TO BE her next movie, The Monkey Wrench Gang.

I wonder whether she's a Christian herself. I did find one pic of her wearing a crucifix.

17815.jpg

Bad Superman said:
A fluke? Well. . . let's see:

Domestic: $370,782,930 60.6%
+ Foreign: $241,116,490 39.4%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Worldwide: $611,899,420

Oh. . . and it's ranked 10 in the All Time Domestic Box Office

And how does that equate to quality?

Bad Superman said:

I think he meant "fluke" in the sense that it made an ass-load of money, and that isn't likely to happen again with a Christian film.

Perhaps "freak of nature" or "anomoly" would be a more appropriate term.

Lt. Figgnuts said:
I think he meant "fluke" in the sense that it made an ass-load of money, and that isn't likely to happen again with a Christian film.

Perhaps "freak of nature" or "anomoly" would be a more appropriate term.

the same Jesus hustlers who made Passion as big a hit as it was did the same thing for 'Narnia.

Hardwicke doesn't strike me as as much of a cash-grabbing panderer as the forces behind either of those 2 other movies.

I doubt it'll be the next Passion unless Mel directs. That's why the Passion did so well. It was more b/c of Mel Gibson than the story.

He directed films prior that, and they didn't make nearly as much, Apocalypto probably won't either.

Passion of the Christ- $600,000,000+

Granted that the story leading up to it was hyped up. I felt it was worth the hype.:)

Narnia. - $300,000,000+

It goes to show that playing to the Christian base is a smart idea.

Though you do need to be a quality film maker like Mel Gibson or Andrew Adamsen to make a good movie, when you combine that with strong Christian overtones, then you get yourself a good film.

As for Nativity, when does it come out?:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"