Gears of War: The movie (In the works!)

Well I'm clearly in the minority lol. You guys can keep your blasted Dominic Purcell!

Has there actually been any news or is this thread just bumped because GOW3 came out last week?

I never saw it, but I think theyre biggest downfall was that they spent an estimated/reported $200 mill on the production budget alone (according to BoxOffice Mojo). I dont see why they would spend so much on a movie that risky.

I agree that Gears would be different one of the things though is what is a "compelling script" in the case of Gears? Should it be: 1) a mindless but fun, 80s style sci fi action movie or 2) should it be a more serious sci fi war movie that goes into the deeper parts of the world that were brought up in the expanded universe.

Personally I vote 2. But I see why some people want 1.

Exactly and you don't need to be in or near your 60s to look like youve been through hell.

the Gears story is actually pretty awesome, its really the only reason i play the games. they obviously should flesh it out a bit more but it definitely could be done as serious as black hawk down but still have its funny moments when they banter with each other.

but yeah Purcell is my ideal Phoenix and even Frank Castle but thats for another thread.

Has there actually been any news or is this thread just bumped because GOW3 came out last week?

IGN put out an article with their choices for director, no doubt because of Gears 3. I linked it in the thread for a bump. No news. Sorry

the Gears story is actually pretty awesome, its really the only reason i play the games. they obviously should flesh it out a bit more but it definitely could be done as serious as black hawk down but still have its funny moments when they banter with each other.

but yeah Purcell is my ideal Phoenix and even Frank Castle but thats for another thread.

Agreed. And I hope they follow that angle

Joe M actually is a choice i never thought of before but he would be good

Dear God! Purcell looks perfect for the role...and hes a good actor as well

IGN put out an article with their choices for director, no doubt because of Gears 3. I linked it in the thread for a bump. No news. Sorry
No worries, so who was on the list?

Oh, and Bruce Willis for Marcus Fenix. :woot:

Terrible choice. That's just really not Elba. Also I mean, The Losers sucked. Not one of Elba's better performances.

All of the memorable characters Johnny Depp plays aren't at all Johnny. Elba is a good actor, The Losers was just an awful movie. I don't want any no names or awful actors like Dwayne The Rock Johnson.

For example: Terry Crews would be pitch perfect Coletrain. Terry Crews is an awful actor who time after time chooses awful movies. If this movie gets made, lets class it up a little.

So you would be fine with Johnny Depp playing oh I dunno . . . Marcus Fenix?

Elba is a great actor, but I just think he's the antithesis of the type you want to play Coletrain.

I am willing to give Elba a shot. The only thing he hasn't shown that he can do is playing the fun guy. Michael Clark Duncan is another good choice. I don't want crappy actors that lead to an awful video game adaptation...which is what all video game adaptations are. Lets class one up.

Depp looks and talks nothing like Fenix so he is out. But, looks are only part of the equation. Depp has the good actor part down but he doesn't have the look down. You just mentioned that Elba acts nothing like Coletrain...well of course he doesn't. Depp acts nothing like Jack Sparrow. We just haven't seen Elba in the Coletrain type role yet. I don't think The Losers is a good example to measure his performance against as he played a totally different character than Augustus Coletrain.

Elba looks and talks nothing like Coletrain.

So why can't Depp play Fenix? Your argument makes no sense. Michael Clarke Duncan is also a terrible choice. I mean just get the dude who voices him. He already plays the character and he looks like him in real life.

depp has as much in common with marcus as elba has with coletrain

skin color lol

elba would be terrible Lester Speight or no one else imo

good enough actor,voiced character,looks and acts just like the character
1309506977_62910890.jpg

elba has the wrong charisma for cole train

Last edited:
Acting usually means you don't have much in common with the person you are playing. I don't know if Lester can act...never seen him in anything. Not all of these characters are going to sound exactly like they do in the video game nor look exactly the same. Again, we are falling into the same pitfalls as every video game movie. Must have actors that look and sound exactly like the video game character or else.

then mark whalberg should play nathan drake and the crow then

it is acting right

Cole Train is extremely brash and loud and charismatic really the opposite of elba

Mark Whalberg is a terrible actor. He was an awful choice for Nathan Drake. He looks like Nathan but he sucks at acting. There goes that analogy.

Hey, I love Idris Elba. Really good actor. That being said big no to him as Cole Train. THe only 2 options imo are Terry Crews or Lester Speight (who is the Voice actor of cole anyway)

No worries, so who was on the list?

Oh, and Bruce Willis for Marcus Fenix. :woot:

Directors Who Could Make a Kick-Ass Gears of War Film

1. Kathryn Bigelow

Credits: The Hurt Locker, Point Break

Ever since Kathryn Bigelow won the Best Director Oscar in 2010 for The Hurt Locker, we've been waiting to see her tackle a big-budget action film.

The former wife of James Cameron has a similar knack for mixing memorable action scenes with heart and emotion. With her at the helm, Gears of War would be more than a mindless, male-oriented bloodfest. It could actually become that elusive, "quality" video game adaptation.

Bigelow can do action scenes like this in her sleep.

2. José Padilha

Credits: Elite Squad 2, the RoboCop remake

Anyone whose seen the director's work in Elite Squad 2 knows he can handle just about any action scene involving running, gunning and running while gunning. Given the director's recent statements about grounding his upcoming take on RoboCop within some very real, very character-driven stakes, Padilha seems like a no-brainer here. He seems like the type of filmmaker who can kick-start the Gears franchise with a strong mix of action and character-based set-pieces.

The faster this movie happens, the faster Lancers become available from Master Replicas.

3. Rupert Wyatt

Credits: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Given the track record of past video game adaptations, no one is expecting much from the Gears of war movie. Given the quality of the 2001 Planet of the Apes reboot, no one was expecting much from Rise of the Planet of the Apes either, but Rupert Wyatt managed to defy expectations and deliver a smart, engaging Apes prequel. Maybe he could surprise us all again with Gears of War.

He knows his way around mo-cap, clearly, and we'd bet dollars-to-donuts a GoW movie will rely heavily on that tech to realize the Locusts. Also, New Line is keen on cutting costs with this project. Wyatt proved to excel at that for Apes, which reportedly came in at $96 million. Wyatt is new enough on the Hollywood scene to not command a Spielberg-level budget, and he's proven that he can do spectacle at an affordable price. Given his talent and ambition, he could definitely give audiences' their money's worth, too.

Andy Serkis as a Locust? I'll allow it.

4. John McTiernan

Credits: Die Hard, Predator

With his legal troubles behind him, John McTiernan is looking for work. He's already secured the action-thriller Shrapnel as a comeback vehicle of sorts, but we're always of the "think bigger" mentality when it comes to the guy who gave us McClane and Dutch.

McT served as one of the best action directors of the 1980s and '90s. His sense of geography, of keeping the action clean and the characters' goals clear, is unparalleled. The last time he made a truly good popcorn entertainment was 1999's The Thomas Crown Affair. Gears could be the type of movie that puts him back on the A-List, and having a seasoned action veteran adapt one of the better video game titles out there is never a bad idea. He could do for Lancers what he did for Jesse Ventura's mini-gun ("Painless" FTW!) in Predator! Make this happen, Hollywood.

"It's like looking into a mirror, only...not."

5. Tony Scott

Credits: Top Gun, Crimson Tide

Tony Scott has been making slick, Bruckheimer-esque entertainment for more than two decades. And the guy has never really tackled an epic summer blockbuster.

His famous pink hat was recently thrown in the ring to helm a few big franchises, including The Wolverine. That didn't pan out, but that might be a good thing for Gears fans. Scott has yet to play in a sandbox as big as this, whereas his brother Ridley has logged tons of hours in this realm.

Scott's movies tend to provide slightly above-average character development to share screentime with the sexy visuals, and they are often fun, plot-driven entertainments. Putting Tony Scott in charge of a $150 million CG action fest could be the challenge the director needs and this material deserves. The COGs could do much worse than have a Scott Brother take their campaign to the big screen.

*Drops mic* That's your cue, Gears Fans: Sound off with your top picks for directors in the Comments below.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/119/1196607p1.html

Many of those choices are terrible IMHO. Tony Scott is so hit and miss and I don't want to see him bring his style to Gears of War. I want to be able to see what happens on screen.

John McTiernan hasn't made a quality movie in like 20 years.

Kathryn Bigelow = overrated IMHO. I doubt she plays or has much interest in videogames either.

I bet Neveldine/Taylor could make a pretty sweet Gears film.

‘Gears Of War’ Film Based On Video Game Series In Works At Universal
ZZ6CC89389-700x394.jpg

During a livestream for the release of the latest installment in the long-running sci-fi shooter video game franchise, Microsoft today confirmed that a film based on the Gears Of War is in development with the rights optioned by Universal. Scott Stuber (Ted series, Central Intelligence) and Dylan Clark (Planet of the Apes series, Oblivion) are set to produce through their Universal-based Bluegrass Films. No director or screenwriter is attached to the project, nor were any details about the project provided. However, Rod Fergusson, head of Microsoft subsidiary The Coalition that develops new Gears of War content and franchise co-creator, said today that the film would not be based on any particular game but would instead be a new story set in the universe.

Set on the fictional planet of Sera, the series follows a squad of beefed up commandos living in a bombed out post-apocalyptic society who battle swarms of alien creatures called Locusts. The first game, released in 2006, has spawned three proper sequels including the just-released Gears Of War 4, as well as a side-story, Gears of War: Judgment. Developed by Epic games, Microsoft acquired the franchise in 2014. The series has grossed $1 billion in grosses since 2007.

It’s the second time a Gears of War film has been in development. The first, announced in 2007, was to come from New Line with director Len Wiseman signing aboard in 2008. Production on that film fell apart in 2010.
http://deadline.com/2016/10/univers...-on-microsofts-gears-of-war-games-1201831636/

Love Gears. Don't think this can be a profitable movie

I'll believe it gets made when I see it

Agree:
-It's based on game series (even though I love GoW 1-3), game-based movies struggle to get a worthy script;
-It has to be an R-rated movie;
-It requires large budget.

Unless MS is willing to take these risks... On the other hand, GoW is very cinematic and straightforward. Sci-fi Saving Private Ryan, if you like. It can be appealing. If they manage to squeeze the production into $150-170 mil.

‘Gears of War’ Movie and Animated Series Coming to Netflix

Gears of War,” one of the most popular Xbox video game series of all time, is expanding to Netflix.

Announced on Monday, Netflix is making a feature film adaptation followed by an adult animation series based on the sci-fi shooter franchise. The streamer also notes there is “potential for more stories to follow.”

Video game developer The Coalition, who took the reigns on “Gears of War” after Microsoft acquired the rights to the series from original creator Epic Games, has partnered with Netflix on the upcoming adaptations.

We’ll see if this comes to fruition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"