• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Neal Adam's Batman Odyssey

i've been around these boards long enough to be more than utterly bored with flame wars.

Well, that's good. As for the book, I just posted Neal's two blog updates. I'll post them again on this page....

Neal Adams has two new blog posts:

Batman
I've been working with Bill Sienkiewicz on the inking of book 6. Pretty interesting experience. What a talented guy.
Batman has been battered for 5 issues and has seemed to be in control. But, as we are finding out, "Control" is a matter of perspective, and opinion. Now, in issue #6, things go from surface difficult to very dense... and dark.
If you haven't read each and every issue, I suggest you catch up NOW.
http://nealadamsblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/okay-youre-right.html

Since we're here talkin', Bill Sienkiewicz has been turning in inked pages... so, I sent him more. Imagine being me and watching my/your work take on a different flavor while still being 'your ' work.

Bill will be melding with me into the second half of the "Odyssey". Then... I don't know... other inkers... will be... um...

I have 5 penciled books ready to go.

The story? Denser, and Batman will be going through... not hell... but very close to it. And I promise you, he will come out a changed man.
http://nealadamsblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/blood-blood-is-coming.html

Bill Sienkiewicz is another of my favorite artists. It will be interesting and exciting to see Bill joining Neal on the second half of the Odyssey.

Last edited:
Here's some more sneak peaks at pages...
27batma.jpg

batmanodyssey0613712bmp.jpg

batmanodysseybmpcopy.jpg

batmanodysseybmpcopy.jpg

Last edited:
And another new blog post by Neal Adams...

Penciling Batman #12. As usual, things are NOT what they seem. I don't know how he does it but Batman somehow keeps ahead of everyone, physically and mentally. I keep throwing stuff at him and he leaps ahead. When he acts like he's buying some cock and bull story from Talia, Ra's, Sensei,..BAM, he's got it knocked and we just shake our heads and watch him blast forward.
I even think he's running a scam on that interviewer, (The one with the Band-aid.) Oh, you haven't seen him yet? Sorry.
Who IS that guy?
Next cover is due. I'm trying to decide if we're/I'm going to show Batman's mount .

Yep, I gonna dood it.

http://nealadamsblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/penciling-batman-12-as-usual-things-are.html

He's gonna have Batman ride a dark horse? :p Also is that Gorilla Boss of Gotham City? Stunning art for sure! Bill's inking is just perfect.

Another new blog post from Neal Adams...

Happy New Year!

Have you guys seen the Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett? I got it for Christmas and we've been watching it in a kind of marathon session of Batman pages and Sherlock Holmes. As much as I love the Peter Cushing episodes, there’s only a limited number of those shows available, and the Jeremy Brett ones seem to stick very closely to the original stories. What fun!

I just finished a New Cover for Batman #7. I'll try to post it here on Monday. It's very strong, and very revealing. Very, very revealing.

On Batman Odyssey, pages are continuing to come in from Bill Sienkiewicz, and they are a treat. Other inkers? Stay tuned.

http://nealadamsblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/happy-new-year.html

BMODYSSEY_Cv8.jpg

BATMAN: ODYSSEY #8
Written by NEAL ADAMS
Art and cover by NEAL ADAMS
1:10 Black and white variant cover by NEAL ADAMS
Batman’s odyssey has brought him to the underworld, where The League of Assassins has been firmly established for decades! The League is liquidating its enemies to make way for the Sensei to take over his father’s kingdom, and after that, the world itself. But if Batman can’t conquer his inner demons and learn to save lives by taking them, he may forfeit the war to the League!

So is Neal introducing a father to Sensei or could it mean his son's kingdom instead? Thats what i'm thinking atleast.

#6 concludes the first arc of the story revealing us the main villain, his goal and why all of this is happening, also explaining why Neal Adams intended to dedicate entire issues to Batman raging due to a child's near death, when Batman used to have guns and why he forsake them but was tempted by them, why Ras' al Ghul is meddling with Batman's life again and so forth. It kinda shows that Neal Adams really wanted us to care about the child's death and Batman's past, but i can't help to agree this first arc could have probably been only 4 issues long or 5, but hey if the people enjoyed and cared thruouth the story to see it this far, great for them.

#6 has some great character art with various Arkham inmates and further showing many bright ideas Neal Adams has for the technology Bruce uses againts guns, nets and hey he even has a holographic map that pops out to guide him, pretty cool. Neal Adams also ends the issue with some humour around, but i can't help to think people will just nitpick the scene and whine about it. >: (

The next chapter now continues towards the conclusion where Bruce, Ras' and the others such as Deadman continue their adventure to stop the villain of the comic, Sensei-chu!

Issue #6 was even more worse than all the others. I don't even bother reading the idiotic dialoge and even Neal's art isn't what it used to be. Face it the guy can't write, not even one text balloon.

Issue #6 was even more worse than all the others. I don't even bother reading the idiotic dialoge and even Neal's art isn't what it used to be. Face it the guy can't write, not even one text balloon.

You admit that you don't even bother reading the issue, so you are showing total ignorance, bashing a title that you aren't even reading. If you had actually read the book, instead of just looking at the pictures, then you could give an informed opinion about the writing.

Why are people so harsh on the idea that the art isn't as great as his nostalgic days? It's still good artwork that you see in comics these days, the plot might not be the most original, but it's certainly been handled much better than similiar tropes such as Hush where a new mystery villain rises. Here Neal Adams has slowly waved thru how this villain is not only effecting Batman, but the League of Shadows and the Arkham Asylum itself.

My only cringe/ponder is what exactly is the point of the new Batman and Robin in this comic.

Have to say I'm a bit surprised at issue 6. Along with Neal and Frank, Bill has always been one of my favorite artists. But his inks on this are just sloppy. It might be a case of bringing two great musicians on a song, but the end product is subpar.

I read it halfway and couldn't get any further. There's just too much going on. Every page is convulted with thousands of crosshatches etc...

The art isn't even that great to todays standards, Neal is exaggerating every face. Fingers look like rubberbands, the villains look like they came from a theme park ride. I'm sorry I was really looking forward to Neal's comeback but this is painfully ackward.

I read it halfway and couldn't get any further. There's just too much going on. Every page is convulted with thousands of crosshatches etc...

The art isn't even that great to todays standards, Neal is exaggerating every face. Fingers look like rubberbands, the villains look like they came from a theme park ride. I'm sorry I was really looking forward to Neal's comeback but this is painfully ackward.

Neal's pencils on this are nothing short of amazing.the problem has been with the inking, in some cases.

Why are you defending his work? If it was the best tsuff in years that wouldn't have been necessary.

Why are you defending his work? If it was the best tsuff in years that wouldn't have been necessary.

Neal's work hardly needs defending. Look at his pencils -- there isn't anyone out there, young or old, that's on his level.:yay:

Neal's work hardly needs defending. Look at his pencils -- there isn't anyone out there, young or old, that's on his level.:yay:

Absolutely agreed. This is Neal Adams' pencils and inks.
adamsodyssey4pg10pencil.jpg

adamsodyssey4pg11pencil.jpg

adamsodyssey4pg18pencil.jpg

adamsodyssey4pg19pencil.jpg

adamsodyssey4pg20pencil.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad to see Batman Odyssey #6 was ranked as one of the best comics of the week by Jason Serafino for complex.com.

Batman: Odyssey

What it’s about: Veteran comic book artist, and iconic Batman illustrator, Neal Adams returned to DC recently to launch Batman: Odyssey. This book harkens back to the classic Batman tales of the '70s and portrays Bats in a more nostalgic light. This characterization of Batman may feel unfamiliar to fans of The Dark Knight Returns and The Long Halloween, but this is still very much a classic take on the Caped Crusader and it is sure to resonate with older fans and fans of the animated series.
What to expect this month: The Joker. Is there anything else you need to know? How about Ra’s Al Ghul? Intrigued yet? Neal Adams is pulling out all of the stops for what could become one of his largest Batman stories to date. So be sure to pick this up if you’re a Batman aficionado or if you want a glimpse into what Batman was like during his heyday. While better Batman books exist, this may be the last time that Neal Adams pencils a full series, so that alone is worth it.

http://best.complex.com/pop-culture...this-week-batman-invincible-iron-man-and-more

Last edited:
This review of Batman: Odyssey #6 by Chad Nevett for Comic Book Resources pretty much sums up my feelings.

"There’s something appealing about that weird craziness, of a superhero comic going full tilt, not slowing down, and not apologizing for its singular vision that you either get or don’t.

Batman, the Joker, and Deadman (who is often inside of the Joker) make their way from an unknown area beneath Arkham Asylum into the building proper, where it’s discovered that strange experiments are being performed on the inmates by the weird armored, green man on the cover to the issue, Dr. Slattern. Apparently put in the position by Ra’s al Ghul, Slattern is using Talia for target practice, trying to goad Batman into a duel for the amusement of his Rogues Gallery, all of whom are watching from glass cells. From there, things become even more complicated with secret identities and previously hidden motives coming to light. It all ends with Batman taking a nap on the floor of the Batcave. Crazy.

There’s something so simple about the book and its directness. The storytelling has shifted from the jumpy, multiple time periods that marked the first few issues of the comic to a linear one, framed only by the shirtless, hairy-chest love god Bruce Wayne recounting the story. His proclamation at the beginning of the issue that “It seemed like a series of totally unrelated events. But I knew it couldn’t be!” reflects the reaction of readers and sets the tone, Adams giving a suggestion that there is a plan and while things may seem random now, they’ll add up by the end.
Until then, the sheer lunacy of the plot lends itself to Adams getting a chance to draw characters overreacting and springing into action almost randomly. If anything, it seems like his desire to draw certain things is the true drive of the comic. Joining him on inks for this issue is Bill Sienkiewicz, who gives the art a less refined look with his sketchy, frenetic finishes. It’s still obviously Adams’ art, but the added touch of Sienkiewicz manages to add even more energy and the sense that things are just moving forward, damn logic and reason, so long as the comic keeps pressing forward. The exaggerated craziness of the book carries over to the body language and facial expressions of the characters. Adams draws them as melodramatic hams of actors, never able to contain anything inside, always grotesquely obvious.

The page revealing Batman’s Rogues Gallery in their cells is a page of extremes. His Rogues often looking less detailed and more thrown together, while, at the bottom of the two-page layout are two panels featuring Batman and the Joker that are just so enrapturing and entertaining. You don’t often see Batman rolling his eyes and giving a “Just shoot me now” look, but Adams nails it.

“Batman: Odyssey” #6 continues the thrown together feeling of the series and that’s a big part of its charm. Neal Adams seeming tosses out any idea that comes to him, ignoring logic for energy and cool things to draw. For some, it is no doubt a torturous read; for me, it’s a wildly entertaining and joyous read."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=user_review&id=3173

Neal Adams has another blog entry about the series:

"I'm drawing Dinosaurs,.. evolved dinosaurs, a New Bat Man, all the assassins in the WORLD, Ras', Talia and her very sexy new gal pal, FLYING BATS, gnomes, Evolved Dinosaurs. Every damn criminal in Arkham, including a new one named Trigger (not the horse.) and Deadman.

I just got inked pages in from Paul Neary, and Bill Sienkiewicz . Yes Bill Sienkiewicz. And YES, Paul Neary. And there will be more.

Wow, one get's whipped up watching Spartacus.

Hey, Let's hope our fellow Americans in the rest of the Country endure this insanely brutal weather."
http://nealadamsblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/im-drawing-dinosaurs.html#comments

Manbat you got any assumptions what is Neal Adams planning with the 2nd Dynamic Duo?

I suspect they are not what they seem to be. Neal said, "As usual, things are NOT what they seem. I don't know how he does it but Batman somehow keeps ahead of everyone, physically and mentally. I keep throwing stuff at him and he leaps ahead. When he acts like he's buying some cock and bull story from Talia, Ra's, Sensei,..BAM, he's got it knocked and we just shake our heads and watch him blast forward."

OK, 6 issues in and I give up... I've dropped this book.

As usual, Adam's artwork is beautiful (if unusual and more exaggerated than I ever remember it being). But, the story has done nothing to get me excited in the least.

I'm still prepared to buy the collection and read a few more reviews to see how it continues... but I have a feeling this is hitting a select few that i'm just not apart of.

To each their own. If you don't like it, don't buy it. That's a wise policy. I always read plot summaries, scans and reviews to assess whether it's something I like and will enjoy before buying a comic. If I don't like the story and the art, then I don't buy it.

Yeah... I'm just shocked, I was so looking forward to it and my enthusiasm for Neal Adam's work propelled me to 'keep giving it chances'.

Same things happened with Frank Miller's more modern work.

I think I'll stick to the past with these guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"