Neal Adam's Batman Odyssey

Ah cool i never knew what the vol.2 story was going to be. So this essantually is "Robin: Year One" in Miller universe. :) Cool stuff. :) Shame we probably will never see Miller's Jason Todd whom i always found intriquing.

Yeah, All-Star Batman & Robin essentially is Miller's "Robin: Year One" in Miller's Earth-31 Dark Knight Universe.
“Anything I come up with about any of these characters is DKU,” Miller said. “DC winds up adopting just about all of it, anyway.."
In his Dark Knight work, Miller has given readers a glimpse into the twilight years of Batman’s career. In Batman: Year One, he’s shared the beginning of the Batman saga. So where does All-Star Batman fall in his Batman time-table?
“Year Three. Bats is feeling his oats—very young, maybe acting a little crazy, but he knows exactly what he's doing. He's just a bit sloppier about doing it than he's going to eventually get.”
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27218

More Batman: Odyssey art by Neal Adams with an appearance from Aquaman.
6pxnw0.jpg

New art from Neal Adams Batman: Odyssey:
35k1udh.jpg

14dd7j6.jpg

It's a relief that Frank Miller won't be writing the story for this.

Neal Adams artwork on it looks as great as it did back in the 70's.

It's a relief that Frank Miller won't be writing the story for this.

Your relief is really empty.
Frank Miller has written all of the characters dialogue in the story for this.

Neal Adams artwork on it looks as great as it did back in the 70's.
It looks even better to me. Neal Adams said, "I have never been able to bring my "A" game to Batman, to my satisfaction. Oh, a little here and there, but all out? Never, never. On this project? Yep. This is the Batman I believe in. So what do I, and of course the incredible Frank Miller bring to Batman after all that's gone before? Well it better be something that's pretty darn hot, Jocko, right?"
http://io9.com/5363646/batman-arms-himself-for-new-big-name-series

Last edited:
Small update on Batman Odyssey
Now on to Batman news. Neal is completely done with pencils on the first series which is 6 issues. YEAH ! “I’m Happy” Six complete issues. “I felt I had to say it again” I hear I will be handing in the first 5 pages of the next book, “The Underworld” on Monday and we will also start working on the first cover of the series as well. Neal has been inking along with penciling so I know everyone will be happy.

So i guess each "Volume" is a 6 issue story arc and Neal wanted to ship the issues once he's done with volume 3. That'd be quite cool. :)

It's awesome that Batman: Odyssey been expanded with Batman: The Underworld and that Neal Adams is finished drawing the six issue Batman: Odyssey series and it's obviously in the process of being inked, each issue by a different inker, including Scott Williams and Kevin Nowlan. Neal's site also says, "Rumor is it is in the process of being scheduled for a June 2010 release. I will keep you updated on this as well."
http://www.nealadams.com/krisworld/

Neal Adams' Batman Odyssey begins this July!

BATMAN: ODYSSEY, a 12-part mini-series launching in July, brings Adams back to the character he helped redefine. Adams’ energetic, realistic and sweeping style is both timeless and modern, and it’s an understatement to say his return to The Dark Knight has been something fans have been clamoring for.
ODYSSEY finds Batman facing a series of seemingly unrelated challenges, villains and allies, old and new, that push him to his limits as never before. The battles get more intense and, in turn, more deadly, The Dark Knight Detective discovers that there might be an overarching force behind his troubles. And if this is so, if there is a dark and mysterious matrix being superimposed over Batman’s life… what sort of life-changing voyage must he go on to free himself from this powerful and insidious direction?
Worse… where can he go that he has never gone before for his desperately needed Odyssey?
“I have been collecting bits and pieces of Batman’s life and time over the years since I was doing Batman regularly,” Adams said. “With even this massive series, I haven’t been able to shove them all in. but the juiciest and richest morsels are there. Have comic books always been this much fun?”
Adams, who will write and pencil the entire series, will also ink the first two issues, followed by pairings with some of the most lauded artistic collaborators in the comic book industry. What more do you really need? Neal Adams. On Batman. July 2010.

Can't wait to see illustrations for other villains that Neal Adams never illustrated in the 1970's Batman comics. :D

Last edited:
Neal Adams talks Batman Odyssey!

"There are other questions we have to deal with as well. For example, from the beginning Batman put people in jail. Now, somehow Batman's putting people – and not of his own choice – into Arkham Asylum. 'I've got this criminal who's robbed a bank, Commissioner. He should go to jail.' The Commissioner says, 'I think we're going to put him in Arkham.' Why? Because that's what we do in Gotham: put criminals in Arkham Asylum and almost give them a ticket to get out again so we can have the next story...it's a kind of fantasy world Batman's living in. It doesn't seem like he has to deal with it. It's a more deadly world. How does Batman deal with that more deadly world when his code is so inflexible in that he won't kill anybody or maim anybody? He's not a goody two-shoes, but his whole job is to frighten criminals who are a cowardly lot, and scare the hell out of them. But now these guys themselves are so scary and dangerous that the question is: How does Batman up the game? How does he deal with it on a new level?
"And it occurred to me, if you start throwing this stuff at Batman hard enough and enough of it sticks, he's going to have to reconsider his role. And that's what this story's about. In reconsidering his role, he ought to go someplace. Where does he go? To a bunch of warehouses? To Metropolis? To Paradise Island? After a while, it starts to get silly. So is there a place where for Batman to go to relearn and rediscover himself? That's also what the story is about. It's the story of a place that he can be driven to where the lessons can be learned. And that place is a surprise. And are there people along the way who he's met – like, say, Deadman – who know things about him we don't know? Is there a history behind Batman that he doesn't even know? Are there controlling devices that have allowed him to think...a Joker says it best when he says, 'Have you ever noticed you're surrounded by a bunch of clowns? Are there clowns in Metropolis? Doesn't that strike you as odd, Batman?'"

"There are other questions we have to deal with as well. For example, from the beginning Batman put people in jail. Now, somehow Batman's putting people – and not of his own choice – into Arkham Asylum. 'I've got this criminal who's robbed a bank, Commissioner. He should go to jail.' The Commissioner says, 'I think we're going to put him in Arkham.' Why? Because that's what we do in Gotham: put criminals in Arkham Asylum and almost give them a ticket to get out again so we can have the next story...it's a kind of fantasy world Batman's living in. It doesn't seem like he has to deal with it. It's a more deadly world. How does Batman deal with that more deadly world when his code is so inflexible in that he won't kill anybody or maim anybody? He's not a goody two-shoes, but his whole job is to frighten criminals who are a cowardly lot, and scare the hell out of them. But now these guys themselves are so scary and dangerous that the question is: How does Batman up the game? How does he deal with it on a new level?
"And it occurred to me, if you start throwing this stuff at Batman hard enough and enough of it sticks, he's going to have to reconsider his role. And that's what this story's about. In reconsidering his role, he ought to go someplace. Where does he go? To a bunch of warehouses? To Metropolis? To Paradise Island? After a while, it starts to get silly. So is there a place where for Batman to go to relearn and rediscover himself? That's also what the story is about. It's the story of a place that he can be driven to where the lessons can be learned. And that place is a surprise. And are there people along the way who he's met – like, say, Deadman – who know things about him we don't know? Is there a history behind Batman that he doesn't even know? Are there controlling devices that have allowed him to think...a Joker says it best when he says, 'Have you ever noticed you're surrounded by a bunch of clowns? Are there clowns in Metropolis? Doesn't that strike you as odd, Batman?'"

Kiel Phegley reports that "While early on in the process, Adams had spoken of having Frank Miller doing dialogue for the story, the artist will end up writing "Odyssey" in its final form from start to finish."
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25519

So Frank Miller isn't dialoguing Neal Adams' series after all. It makes sense for Neal Adams to dialogue it since it's his story, and I know that Frank Miller is busy with his own projects, and Frank Miller has encouraged artists to write their own material for their own projects. Frank Miller said in Amazing Heroes #102 of David Mazzucchelli and Bill Sienkiewicz, "Both of these people should write their own material because both of them have particular visions that should be pursued purely, without anyone else writing the script."

Last edited:
It's interesting trivia that comic book pencillers are also kind of co-writers although they are credited as only penciller, the only penciller that I know that had been credited as co-writer was John Byrne on his X-Men (but he was credited as co-plotter) and I think that I remember Jim Lee having co-plotter credit on some of his 90's work on X-Men with Chris Claremont and later with Scott Lobdell. I didn't know Adams was the main uncredited writer for the late 60's pre-cancellation X-Men comics and that Roy Thomas only wrote dialogue.

viec5l.jpg

Batman Odyssey #1 cover. :) Seems Neal hasn't lost his charm when it comes to Violence. ;)

viec5l.jpg

Batman Odyssey #1 cover. :) Seems Neal hasn't lost his charm when it comes to Violence. ;)

I think that's probably the incident that causes him to Armour up his Batsuit or it's one of those covers that has nothing to do with the story. Cool cover, nonetheless.

Last edited:
I wonder if this will be flavored noir, sci fi, or supernatural?

Art's pretty, not crazy about the cover content. Overkill, seems like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"