need a favour

the_ultimate_evil

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.
Reaction score
hey guys i finally got the time to re-do my portfolio, can you guys check it and give me some feedback, is the layout ok, do the links work etc.

i just need to double check it with a few people before i start re-working all my links to it

www.deanirvine.com

i'm getting conflicting reports, some have said nothing works where as others have said it's fine, though i think the ones having problems have huge screen sizes eg 1920x1280. i really do not want to have to tear this thing apart again

cheers guys

It was a little awkward on the Update page. Is there supposed to be a big blank spot there on the left hand side?

Other then that, it looked fine to me

sadly i found that if i centre the image it badly messes up the layout on larger monitors :(

I dig your work. REALLY dig the photography. You've got a great eye for lighting and composition. But i find the layout of the site to be frustrating and can see it as stopping point for potential clients/employers.

A few notes:

1) the big empty space on the main page. When i first clicked on the link, i sat there expecting something to appear. Its a poor use of negative space, ESPECIALLY when you have a bunch of text buttons squished together above it.

Personally, I'd get rid of the "Enter" page and put the images from that into the empty space of the main screen. Because you get the that Enter screen, and you're all like "hey, cool! lets see whats in here..." then upon clicking "Enter", you go from a cool image to an empty gray box. Its anticlimactic.

2) I'm not a fan of having all the buttons as text squished together in such a small area up top. If you have to keep it there, just have the main buttons there like you do on the main page. Then, when you click on lets say, photography, the subcategories appear either within the grey box, or on the red bar above it. That'll give you some distinction between all the text and help with navigation.

3) I'd advise against having copyrighted characters on your site. If you want people to see that you can draw other people's characters, keep that on your deviant art page. Employers will want to focus on your ability to come up with characters of your own.

4) The About Me page is lacking. Employers couldn't really care less when you were born. In fact, in some instances that info might even hurt you if they haven't fallen in love with your work yet. Give more appropriate details. What college did you go to? When did/will you graduate? What type of degree do you have? What kind of courses did you take? What kind of job are you looking for? Have you gotten any work? Post a resume, even if its just a single internship.

5) Try to have some example of your work on EVERY page. Even if its just a thumbnail, or a background (like the moons) with a low opacity and your text over it. That way, they can't possibly forget - or miss - your work while perusing the site. There is no such thing as over saturating your portfolio site with your own work. Just as long as everything is eligible and easy to navigate.

Good luck, and i hope my rant helps. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Last edited:
cheers for the feedback, the about me is a wip i'm trying to get a balance of info and not a load of random crap.

I agree with you on the copyrighted stuff, thats why it was cut back drastically, all the stuff i have up now is stuff that has been published or commissions for clients

you're not the first to mention the enter page, i may look into it, not sure about the constant overlay of work you mentioned

i did re-think the nav of the site something more like this

testnav.jpg

i figured, i thought i had actually misspelt something on the site again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"