Need Help With 'Brushed Metal' Effect

Neto Magnus

Superhero
Reaction score
I don't know how to use Photoshop but I am trying to learn. Recently, I read a tutorial on brushed metal effect. This is what I did so far...

Now the thing is, I'm trying to make it more realistic and want to add scratches and imperfections to it. None of the tutorials I've seen mentions it.

I was hoping anyone here can help me by adding scratches to it. :yay:

looks good neto, got a link for that tutorial? i wanna learn some PS stuff.

wish i could help you though.

assuming you made the "brushed effect" what about making a very small part, rotating it to the angle you want and sharpening it or something.

and do keep in mind that i'm an idiot when it comes to stuff like this, but it just popped in my head. :huh:

neto.jpg

Not sure what u r looking for exactly and can't say I'm an expert but hope this helps or at least gives some ideas+I like to learn new stuff if anyone else knows any good ideas...
First I made a new document of 1000x1000pixels.
Then I made a new layer filled 50% grey.
--To this later, noise>add noise (80%, monochromatic, gaussian)
--Then blur>motion blur (160 pixels, -45 degrees)
--(You can adjust contrat/levels if you want)
That's the brushed metal layer.....
For scratches I made a new layer.
--Use brush at 1 pixel to randomly draw some squiggles/scratches in black.
--Then go to layer>layer style...Check bevel/emboss...style emboss, smooth...direction, down...depth 1%...size and soften 0.
--Then play with lighting to get shadows u want. also i made gloss profile bevel shape the curve like a backward L instead of straight flat one...4th over from top left
--Set layer mode to "lighten"
For bumps I made a new layer
--Fill black
--artistic>sponge w/ values brush size 0, definition 25,smoothness 1
--stylize>emboss>height 2 pxls, amount 100%
--set layer to "lighten" opacity 50%
For lighting I made a new layer.
--Then I used the polygon lasso tool to select an area about the size I wanted brighter.
--Then select>feather>60 pixels
--Then fill white
--Then set layer to "soft light" opacity 75%
Then I resized the whole image to 500x500 pixels so the details would be finer. Then I cropped the image cuz the edges aren't as blurred as the rest. Then I "merged visible layers" Then I cut out NETO Then I bevel embossed w inner bevel etc. and added black background!!!! :D
Voila!!! Sounds complicated but only took like 5 minutes or less--longest part was typin it!!

Maybe not the greatest/most advanced but thought I'd help....I love learning new photoshop things :D

phoenix risen- i need you to make a tutorial thread with all your ps knowledge, written as coherently as that post above.

one of the better "tutorials" i've read, and if i wasn't doing something else, i would try this now.

^
thx esp. considering how bad i am at explaining things!!! but i gotta admit ulterior motives----i thought if i tried to help w/ even my limited knowledge neto might hurry up w/ a lee merriwether/julie newmar catwoman manip i had requested!!!! :D

^
thx esp. considering how bad i am at explaining things!!! but i gotta admit ulterior motives----i thought if i tried to help w/ even my limited knowledge neto might hurry up w/ a lee merriwether/julie newmar catwoman manip i had requested!!!! :D

i was thinking that :ninja:

but i thought you were gonna say the phoenix one. either way, this should bump ur request up on the list a couple places at least.

i wouldnt mind seeing a julie newmar CW manip.

ever seen 7 brides for 7 brothers? it's spelled differently, but I swear that Julie Newmar plays Dorkus in that movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"