Netflix 'Lincoln Lawyer' series starring: Manuel Garcia-Rulfo

Breogan

My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Apparently the CBS pilot shut down due to Covid, and decided to move to streaming. Hence they are reworking it at Netlifix,
Netflix Orders ‘The Lincoln Lawyer’ Drama Series From David E. Kelley; Manuel Garcia-Rulfo To Star – Deadline
About Netflix - 'The Lincoln Lawyer' Series Is Coming to Netflix Starring Manuel Garcia-Rulfo

lincolnlawyer6.jpg

Mickey Haller, an iconoclastic idealist, runs his law practice out of the back seat of his Lincoln Town Car, as he takes on cases big and small across the expansive city of Los Angeles.

If you are wondering, yes (the actor) and the character is half Mexican, that does play into his personality and approach.
As per author Michael Connelly;
"Manuel is the ideal Mickey Haller, as Haller follows in the footsteps of his attorney father with the showmanship of his Mexican movie star mother,"
The character L.A. Lawyer Mickey Haller describes himself as looking "more south of the border than north".

Matthew McConaughey notwithstanding who in one of his better roles nailed some of the character qualities in the excellent 2011 film, making it a hard role to live up to (and likely making the new actor a hard shift for some, if not dismissing him out right?), still hopefully Garcia-Rulfo can make the character (and Lincoln Town Car) his own.
I am looking forward to Netflix take on it

Some curious info for those not familiar with the Michael Connelly books and his other character, featured in the excellent Bosch series starring Titus Welliver.
These two characters are half brothers, same father different mothers.
If Welliver's Bosch character could crossover would be fantastic, yet unless some deal is struck, different networks makes it somewhat unlikely.
SVyCVqq.jpg

Also Neve Campbell joins the cast as Maggie McPherson.
Mickey’s first ex-wife, D.A. and co-parents to their daughter.
If you saw the 2011 film, she was the part played by Marisa Tomei.
Neve Campbell Joins 'Lincoln Lawyer' Series at Netflix (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety
367AD980-9A03-4758-A1AB-7BBD844F48AB.jpeg

Last edited:
Lincoln Lawyer is a great movie, one of my favorite Matthew McConaughey roles.

This looks to be like an interesting new take on that. Glad it’s going to Netflix and not CBS.

I loved the book and the movie, haven't gotten around to the other books in the Mickey Haller series but he seems an ideal character for a series and Netflix is a great fit for this show. I didn’t know he's half Mexican, it must have been covered in the other books.

I loved the book and the movie, haven't gotten around to the other books in the Mickey Haller series but he seems an ideal character for a series and Netflix is a great fit for this show. I didn’t know he's half Mexican, it must have been covered in the other books.
The first book he does references he's a mix of his (non specific) exotic Latin movie star mother, and the name from his father.
Later books she is referenced as specifically Mexican, (although that may have already been inferred from the go, by much of the allegiances he kept),

I do remember in an interview with Connelly back when the 2011 movie was coming out, before McConaughey, he said he'd first pictured actor Andy Garcia for the role.
434f1b8398237cae61a5dcecda0c9811.jpg

(Yes I know, Cuban American, just repeating who the creator pictured)

Then hysterically Michael Connelly references his own desire to see Andy Garcia as Haller, in The Fifth Witness, which in-story acknowledges there was now a Lincoln Lawyer movie, when a character says to Mickey Haller, "you should have been played by Andy Garcia in the movie." :)

And Michael Connelly from 2019 interview - "I know everyone thinks McConaughey is Haller. But in the books, he’s half Latino; his mother is Mexican. I think Kelley[producer/writer] is interested in that."

So while it never fully defined the character, I can absolutely roll with the choice of Manuel Garcia-Rulfo, as it references the books, and seems like a legit aspect of the character that the writer/producer wants to explore, as to his insight and connections with aspects of latin LA, as well as a perceived outsider, who then maneuvers through the corrupt legal-system.

The Boschiverse.
The "Boschiverse/Connellyverse" I would love it if it were a thing on TV- Harry Bosch, Mickey Haller, as well as Renée Ballard brought to series, so they could all crossover.
I believe the latest Lincoln Lawyer book does have Bosch and Haller crossover again.

Apparently the series will launch with the second Novel The Brass Verdict
This plot synopses if true seems quite surprising close to the books, and still includes Bosch (don't know that Netflix has access to the character? Probably not. Though it would be great if they did!) -
'The Lincoln Lawyer' Season 1: Filming Reportedly Begins in March 2021 & What Else We Know - What's on Netflix
The following synopsis was taken from ProductionWeekly:

Things are finally looking up for defense attorney Mickey Haller. After two years of wrong turns, Haller is back in the courtroom. When Hollywood lawyer Jerry Vincent is murdered, Haller inherits his biggest case yet: the defense of Walter Elliott, a prominent studio executive accused of murdering his wife and her lover. But as Haller prepares for the case that could launch him into the big time, he learns that Vincent’s killer may be coming for him next. Enter Harry Bosch. Determined to find Vincent’s killer, he is not opposed to using Haller as bait. But as danger mounts and the stakes rise, these two loners realize their only choice is to work together.

Last edited:
The Brass Verdict
Intro narrated would make for a great TV open....

"Everybody lies.

Cops lie. Lawyers lie. Witnesses lie. The victims lie.

A trial is a contest of lies. And everybody in the courtroom knows this....

The trick if you are sitting at the defense table is to be patient. To wait. Not for any lie. But for the one you can grab onto and forge like hot iron into a sharpened blade. You then use that blade to rip the case open and spill its guts out on the floor.

That’s my job, to forge the blade. To sharpen it. To use it without mercy or conscience. To be the truth in a place where everybody lies.

I'm Mickey Haller, Counselor for the defense."

Last edited:
"‘The Lincoln Lawyer’: Ntare Guma Mbaho Mwine Set Joins Netflix Drama – Deadline">‘The Lincoln Lawyer’: Ntare Guma Mbaho Mwine Set Joins Netflix Drama – Deadline</a></p>&mdash; Michael Connelly (@Connellybooks) <a href="

Some more on this for anyone curious, or familiar with some of the characters in play from books to tv.

We know Bosch and Haller are on separate networks with separate licence, and frustratingly can't cross over, however something curious about how they pull this off, if you've been watching the Bosch series (I just caught up watched S5 and S6), the already existing recurring character Honey Chandler, who is a lawyer usually antagonistic to Bosch, in S5, is used to great effect as the lawyer who this time defends Bosch.

That's cause S5 is based on the book Two Kinds of Truth, where it's actually Mickey Haller who defends Bosch.

Going from book to screen for S5, they needed to replace Haller's character, so they just gender and office swapped out Haller, for the already existing Chandler, most seem completely unawre, yet when it becomes obvious, you can pretty much watch the season and still imagine it's Haller.
They even used Mickey Haller's iconic motorcycle gang assistant investigator (Cisco) character, they just gave him a new name and made him Chandler's assistant instead.

z7IHyGY.jpg

For S5 the characters are obviously a swap, just place Haller(now Chandler) in a high powered lawyer office, instead of his Lincoln.
In the end the TV Honey Chandler's character really benefits S5 from having elements of both. And they play it to great effect.

iodry9s.jpg

I imagine for the Lincoln Lawyer series, in the same way when needed, they will be developing a similar analogues character to fill in for Bosch, especially since they are adapting The Brass Verdict (whose plot synopses a few posts up) heavily includes what should be Bosch.
So while they obviously can't use Bosch, or the familial relation, who they cast will need to substitute as a new, yet similar recurring role, who works as the hardboiled Detective, and close yet volatile ally, just with a different name.

I'm guessing that is the just announced Ntare Mwine's character Detective Raymond Griggs, who will probably serve as Lincoln Lawyer's Bosch analog.

Ntare-Mwine.jpg

Last edited:
Further using Netflix's own plot synopses posted above, and Deadline's description, seems pretty straight forward that Ntare's "new" character Detective Raymond Griggs will be the series' recurring Harry Bosch analog.
NETFLIX ProductionWeekly said:
'The Lincoln Lawyer' Season 1: Filming Reportedly Begins in March 2021 & What Else We Know - What's on Netflix
Things are finally looking up for defense attorney Mickey Haller. After two years of wrong turns, Haller is back in the courtroom. When Hollywood lawyer Jerry Vincent is murdered, Haller inherits his biggest case yet: the defense of Walter Elliott, a prominent studio executive accused of murdering his wife and her lover. But as Haller prepares for the case that could launch him into the big time, he learns that Vincent’s killer may be coming for him next. Enter Harry Bosch. Determined to find Vincent’s killer, he is not opposed to using Haller as bait. But as danger mounts and the stakes rise, these two loners realize their only choice is to work together.

Deadline said:
‘The Lincoln Lawyer’: Ntare Guma Mbaho Mwine Set Joins Netflix Drama – Deadline
Ntare will play Detective Raymond Griggs. A character created specifically for the series, Griggs is an intense and tenacious LAPD Detective investigating the murder of Jerry Vincent, a defense attorney whose cases Mickey Haller (Garcia-Rulfo) has taken over. While Griggs is initially an antagonist to Mickey, the two men eventually develop a wary working relationship as they each try in their own way to get to the bottom of the strange events surrounding the murder.

Just put the two together:
Things are finally looking up for defense attorney Mickey Haller. After two years of wrong turns, Haller is back in the courtroom. When Hollywood lawyer Jerry Vincent is murdered, Haller inherits his biggest case yet: the defense of Walter Elliott, a prominent studio executive accused of murdering his wife and her lover. But as Haller prepares for the case that could launch him into the big time, he learns that Vincent’s killer may be coming for him next. Enter Harry Bosch Detective Raymond Griggs [an intense and tenacious LAPD Detective investigating the murder]. Determined to find Vincent’s killer, he is not opposed to using Haller as bait. But as danger mounts and the stakes rise, these two loners realize their only choice is to work together.

I'm really loving the set up for these two characters.

Not familiar with Ntare Mwine (might hint where they saw him for the role)-

Last edited:
"

Last edited:

This will never live up to to the film, and presence of McConaughey, Also preferred the tone of the Bosh series, this so far looks just ok.
And while I personalty prefer the 60s Blue Cadillac convertible, the sharp 80s Black Town Car seemed to fit the character better.

I do like Garcia-Rulfo, nice to see Neve Campbell back, and have some faith in David E. Kelley
Will definitely give it a shot.

Last edited:
Just a trailer but that dude is severely lacking in charisma. Not just in comparison to Mcconaughey, just in general.

However, I also thought Reacher looked bad from the trailers

I loved the books so I'll give it a chance, :)

I prefer the movie I thought the reason he was in the car was cause he lost his license that was why he was driven around in the car by a driver and even after he supposedly got it back he just kept riding in the car not driving his own and sometimes being driven by a driver.

Watching the new season of Bosch: Legacy (first 4 eps), worried the quality might have dropped with the new set-up, dynamic, slight cast compression, and network shift, yet it's just as good.

Really wish this crossover had been possible...
FSbPGWbXIAAJpOJ

Last edited:
FSX0RXxUYAEiCiI

FSXcW8IVUAAaVfN

FSXcW8MVIAA4srR

D8xuH1uH

6foj6g.jpg

FSHNffFX0AAMcPJ

FQPVML4XsAgEfUr

Manuel Garcia Rulfo -"Mickey Haller es mitad Mexicano, su mamá es totalmente Mexicana, ella es una actriz de Novelas Mexicanas y el papá es Americano, quisieron explorar un poco ese lado del personaje."

Last edited:
This was a lot better than I thought it would be and I'm someone who was a big fan of the McConaughey movie, but this was a worthy follow up IMO and is worth giving a look if you're interested.

I enjoyed Manuel Garcia Rulfo in the main role and the cast has some pretty great chemistry overall. I especially liked his relationship with Izzy and Neve Campbell's character.

Also, I swear Neve Campbell is one of those few actresses in Hollywood today that only gets hotter with age because my god did, she look absolutely stunning in this show.

Forgot this was happening. Going to have to check it out. Also didn't realize Angus Sampson was in it, which is a pleasant surprise. Loved him on Fargo.

I've read most of the books. This is on my list to watch. :D

Finished this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It's similar in parts but ultimately quite different from the McConaughey movie, but overall - definitely worth a watch. The cast was very good all round and I felt Manuel Garcia Rulfo brought a lot of presence and gravitas to the lead role. He's very likeable in the role, even if his character has some issues within the realms of the story itself.

And I agree @Kaijudude, Neve Campbell is like a fine wine.

Nice. I'm three episodes in and loving it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"