Netflix's The Witcher - General Discussion Thread

I like it so far. of course it can improve. I never found Geralt to be some fantastic interesting character anyway... it was always the others who I got into. Kind of like Link in the Zelda games. I have only read 2 books and played witcher 3 though. It is definitely bull**** that they tried saying this is book based and not the games. both like 5050. yes cavill is playing geraltw3. I dont find it necessarily bad... but for the record I've just now started episode 2... but criticizing a grunt is pretty sad lol. the one shot was pretty cool though
I am laughing at the attempt of the grunt, because during that scene he was so obviously trying to do Witcher 2/3 Geralt, and they said they weren't touching the games. Oh, it is not working. He does not capture the laid back nature or charm for the character from the game. Especially as he is working with material that is fairly different from that. Also his attempts to do the voice is just not good.

I am only one episode in, but it wasn't good. It was pretty poor to be honest. A lot of bad acting, bad writing and really bad editing. It also oddly shifts from kind of expensive, to looking cheap as heck all in the same scene, and that is without getting into the bad color grading. I am hopeful it gets better, but that is the hope. The first episode was rather boring imo.

Also I like how you pointed out they lied about their intentions with the show, but that's cool. But pointing out that Cavill is doing a lame impression of Geralt from the games, that is going too far. :

I finished episode 4 and it's significant bump in narrative quality from the first 3. With every new episode the show improves. Even Cavill wasn't as bad as in the previous episodes (but still rather bad). Anya sold me as Yennefer. But she already had great acting in episodes 2-3. It's just in 4 she's a full fledged sorceress.

So anyone doubting to continue or not after episode 1, stick with it. Starting with episode 3 it becomes much better.

Last edited:
As much as I don't like Cavill as an actor (his face, I just can't, he is the same in every movies I saw him, I don't feel the charisma, he's like a small step up from "slab of meat actors", no offence, everyone must work), I think I will watch the whole season.
The sets seem ok and the costumes are fine (maybe not the bad guys rippled armor).
Then again, it doesn't take much to make me watch scify or fantasy shows.

Edit : I have zero knowledge of the books nor the games.

He actually has the opposite physical presence of the role. :hehe:

Eh, in terms of what this show specifically seems to be trying to do with the character, I think he more or less fits. And I appreciate how good he is in the fight scenes.

I do think the girls are stronger in terms of their acting, particularly Anya who is a bit of a surprise to me in just how good she is. This could be a star-making role for her, even if the show itself doesn't pick up a ton of traction.

Well the girls are bringing it at least in this show, episode 2 is a marked improvement on 1 which felt very much like a pilot or perhaps was trying too hard. Hope Cavill grows on me as it goes on.

No that was too much bad for me in Episode 1. The war Scene look very poor..

Im out.

No that was too much bad for me in Episode 1. The war Scene look very poor..

Im out.
Interesting. I didn't like the episode, but I still thought it looked very expensive.
Episode 2's definitely an improvement, at least.

The first episode was OK. It's a bit up and down but fantasy is very hard to pull off and my expectations have been realistic ones. Cavill fluctuates between pretty good and bad so not sure how that will turn out. Ciri was pretty good though. Unsurprisingly the more epic shots of the war etc weren't exactly of GoT quality (which in turn wasn't film quality) but I assume we'll be going away from such things so I'm not too bothered by that.

I did like how the fighting between Geralt and the men was handled. It was very brutal and they did a good job of making the more extravagant moves look relatively believable in a film fighting context (sword fighting in films are never realistic). I can certainly see more good fun come out of that.

I'll keep watching and hopefully it picks up. It's very common for the first episodes to be the worst (especially when they are proper pilots), and for it to take a while for a show to find its footing.

Anya has good chemistry with Cavill and she reanimated him a bit.

Dandelion is very likable.

I've just started. Btw for anyone interested CD Projekt have apparently made a deal on game rights with the author.

I have watched 6 speisodes and it's been ... ok.

Maybe I was expecting too much? Who knows.

Really getting annoyed, are people just pooping on anything to provoke a reaction to their viewing? I'm enjoying it. I seriously don't know if this is an expectation thing anymore.

Episode 3 - now thats more like it.

Wolf knuckledusters :applaud

Just watched the first episode and it has me intrigued. I shall continue to watch it.

Leading girls are SO MUCH BETTER than Cavill... Holy damn.

like night and day was afraid of this hey i'm happy to admit I was wrong I defended Cavill from the get go but it's not looking good so far

I am laughing at the attempt of the grunt, because during that scene he was so obviously trying to do Witcher 2/3 Geralt, and they said they weren't touching the games. Oh, it is not working. He does not capture the laid back nature or charm for the character from the game. Especially as he is working with material that is fairly different from that. Also his attempts to do the voice is just not good.

I am only one episode in, but it wasn't good. It was pretty poor to be honest. A lot of bad acting, bad writing and really bad editing. It also oddly shifts from kind of expensive, to looking cheap as heck all in the same scene, and that is without getting into the bad color grading. I am hopeful it gets better, but that is the hope. The first episode was rather boring imo.

Also I like how you pointed out they lied about their intentions with the show, but that's cool. But pointing out that Cavill is doing a lame impression of Geralt from the games, that is going too far. :

since there are so many interpretations of geralt. just finished episode 2 and am still enjoying it. to each their own.. i still love you... i want you to paint me like one of your french girls.

I like it more when they embrace the horror elements, as in episode 3.

Not gonna lie, once I got past Cavill (at least he’s still nice to look at!), I’ve been enjoying the show for the trashy fun with a budget that it is. Yennefer entering the picture played a big part in that because Anya’s doing a great job. Hopefully this serves as a breakout role for her.

Really getting annoyed, are people just pooping on anything to provoke a reaction to their viewing? I'm enjoying it. I seriously don't know if this is an expectation thing anymore.
what? no? im all in and love it... but the goatboy... lol comon dont tell me you were looking for jim bruer

Saw the second episode and it was better than the first. Yennefer is the best character this far. Unfortunately that's probably the last episode I'll have time to see this week.

Well at least Cavill and Anya have really good chemistry so the Geralt/Yen dynamic has a chance to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"