• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

New Avi Arad Interview

Retroman

Avenger
Reaction score
From SFX Magazine (UK):

August 2006

37gb.jpg

MARVEL MOVIES
Showing there's just no stopping those comic books making it to the big screen, producer Avi Arad tells us about Spidey 3, Hulk 2 and the rest
Source: http://www.sfx.co.uk/latest_issues/august_2006

Does anyone own a copy of this issue?

I'll have a look for it tonight if i can, maybe the same interview were the 'do-over' comment was made though.

(Registering just for this)

Picked up the issue last night. It's mostly the usual Avi stuff - nothing too specific. As far as Hulk goes, he never says it'll be a reboot. If anything, what he says strongly suggests (but doesn't confirm) a continuation of the plot.

Specifically:

"there will be a lot more of the relationship between Bruce and the Hulk. By now Bruce has more knowledge and we want to accentuate the love story....."

And:

"...This will still be a movie driven by relationships.... But because we don't have to get into what brings about the Hulk, we can get right into a story and his relationship with Betty and General Ross. And Abomination."

Asked about Bana, he says "Maybe. We'll talk". Sounds less promising...

I thought it was worth signing up for this, as people were getting themselves in a bit of a state.

Rob.

PS - there's also stuff about FF2, Spidey 3, Nick Fury, Iron Man, Thor, the X spin-offs and Captain America. Nothing exciting, although he does mention that 'Thor' will feature Loki and Cap will feature Red Skull as the villain (or "a version" of the character, as he puts it. "You stick with the classics, why not?"). But most of the article is very vague.

Thanks, sounds like it will be a sequel. Hopefully Bana will return. Anything much on FF2 btw?

RobW29 said:
(Registering just for this)

Picked up the issue last night. It's mostly the usual Avi stuff - nothing too specific. As far as Hulk goes, he never says it'll be a reboot. If anything, what he says strongly suggests (but doesn't confirm) a continuation of the plot.

Specifically:

"there will be a lot more of the relationship between Bruce and the Hulk. By now Bruce has more knowledge and we want to accentuate the love story....."

And:

"...This will still be a movie driven by relationships.... But because we don't have to get into what brings about the Hulk, we can get right into a story and his relationship with Betty and General Ross. And Abomination."

Asked about Bana, he says "Maybe. We'll talk". Sounds less promising...

I thought it was worth signing up for this, as people were getting themselves in a bit of a state.

Rob.

PS - there's also stuff about FF2, Spidey 3, Nick Fury, Iron Man, Thor, the X spin-offs and Captain America. Nothing exciting, although he does mention that 'Thor' will feature Loki and Cap will feature Red Skull as the villain (or "a version" of the character, as he puts it. "You stick with the classics, why not?"). But most of the article is very vague.

Its at least something that point in the direction of a sequel, thanks for bringing us the info Rob, should settle some nerves in here.

Thanks a lot RobW29:up:

What does he say about FF2?I'm curious about that, thanks.

Thanks for posting RobW29. :up:
Least it means the current thinking is inline with what was said in the past. And the "remake" stuff was what I(and others) said, just some fans reading to much into things. :p :marv:
[Ions basks in the glow of being right]

Mmm feels pretty good. ;)

I knew it! I knew when Avi said "do over" he really meant "makeover". Doing another origin makes no sense. Good find. I'm gonna forward it to Clint to see if Bana heard about this. :) I created a thread about that and it was removed as stupid speculation or something. LOL

BTW Rob that absoloutely confirms a continuation of the plot 100% for certain, or more so that these are events that take place after the events of the first film.

Edit: Damn Retro best confirmation of awesome news IMO in awhile. Best Hulk news too. I guessed you didn't submit this to the Hype because you didn't know what was inside till later. Just in case I sent it to them so hopefully they'll dig deeper. :) Told them to credit you and DogW29.

Hey post some more of the details on all the films. :)

I e-mailed Clint@moviehole a link to this thread to see if he could dig up more. Minutes later this popped up. LOL

http://www.moviehole.net/news/20060707_arad_on_the_next_hulk_movie.html

According to a scooper on the Superhero Hype Boards, Marvel magnate Avi Arad talked to SFX Magazine about his plans for the new “The Hulk” movie.

Arad confirms in the interview that the sequel/remake/restart will be bringing back a couple of original characters from the first film, and that he’s still going to have a chat to Eric Bana about reprising his role as the green guy.

"…there will be a lot more of the relationship between Bruce and the Hulk. By now Bruce has more knowledge and we want to accentuate the love story”, Arad says of the script. "...This will still be a movie driven by relationships.... But because we don't have to get into what brings about the Hulk, we can get right into a story and his relationship with Betty and General Ross. And Abomination."

Asked about whether Bana is returning – especially interesting considering the rumours flittering about at the moment – Arad said “Maybe. We’ll talk”.

Though Arad has been suggesting this is a bit of a “do over”, signalling a possible remake and complete casting overhaul, this new information suggests it might be more of a continuation or sequel [to the first film], than at first thought.

Do I think Bana will be back? No, I don’t - if only because he’s got a pretty full schedule for the next year or so, not because he wouldn’t be interested. That doesn’t mean that I don’t think Arad will ask Bana to return – I wouldn’t be surprised if he did. But I think it’s going to be a lot tougher to get Bana – not to mention, co-star Jennifer Connelly – back in the saddle for this one, I really do. Financially, and realistically speaking, it may be best to recast the thing? (I’m sure Lou Ferrigno has already given Arad a call).

Some mixed news there, people are still skeptical on whether Bana will be back, hope to hear some news over the next couple of weeks.

I just dont care anymore

DogW29??? Sheesh....

Regarding FF2, theere was nothing really earth-shattering. He confirms Silver Surfer but refuses to confirm any appearance of Galactus. As in the comics, Surfer will be "The same kind of philosophical character, commenting on our world". Apparently, they're plugging for the same tone as the first film, and he said that "The interaction between the Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer is at the heart of the movie and it should be amazing."

Like I said before, most of his comments were non-specific waffle about how good each comic book property was, and how excited he is for each film. Nothing you haven't read a thousand times before.

R.

I think Hulk is 2009/2010 film most likely 2009 and Bana has free time before then to film. I'm more optimistic now.

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
About Bana or the next movie?
both actually, Bana hasnt really had anything to say "hey, we want you in Hulk 2" from marvel. Marvel dont seem to know what the f**k they want to do with it. I bet all the money i have, that on the 12th, we will get jack s***

Sava said:
both actually, Bana hasnt really had anything to say "hey, we want you in Hulk 2" from marvel. Marvel dont seem to know what the f**k they want to do with it. I bet all the money i have, that on the 12th, we will get jack s***

I said this a few weeks ago, Marvel are never on time with thier announcements, but they might surprise us.

^ That's not true as far as Marvel never being on time with their annoucements. You have to realize what standar procedure is here. Marvel sells the rights to these studios and it is NOT Marvel's place to make any annoucements or press releases PRIOR to the license holder. It's Lionsgates responsibility to make the annoucement NOT Marvel's and Marvel has stated this time and time again during their earnings annoucements. It's Universals job on Namor for now, etc...Hulk will be very likely Universal as the distributor making the annoucement w/Marvel, and if you didn't notice Paramount make the press release w/Marvel on Iron Man. But those 2 films are "in-house" and different from 3rd party studio films.

so Marvel arent doing it then?

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
I said this a few weeks ago, Marvel are never on time with thier announcements, but they might surprise us.
sure they will, no Bana

It is true AD i remember they said months in advance that they would announce something at a certain date in Feb this year about SM3, we got it over a month later. I know you hold stocks in them, but there's no need to try and protect them about everything, they are far from perfect.

It is NOT Marvel's job to make press releases on Spiderman 3. It's Sony's job. It's possible Avi might have said we should hear something on a certain date but it is 100% Marvel's policy and in the contract that the studio holding the rights makes the press release. If you doubt me go back over past earnings tatements or contact Marvel IR. These are facts I'm telling you. I know Avi has stated things in the past as far as his expectations but the actual news is not for him to release unless it's a Marvel Studio's film like Iron Man or Incredible Hulk. Of course Avi as a producer will give interviews and leak snipets but he won't make an official press release without the studios permission.

Sava said:
so Marvel arent doing it then?

Yes Marvel is doing Incredible Hulk. My point was the previous poster made a statement about Marvel's past performance in issuing press releases or news. Those films were with other studios outside of Marvel's full control and it was THOSE studios that had the first right to deliver the news.

If you contact Marvel that's exactly what they will tell you.

Though Arad has been suggesting this is a bit of a “do over”, signalling a possible remake and complete casting overhaul, this new information suggests it might be more of a continuation or sequel [to the first film], than at first thought.
:) :up:

Thanks Advanced Dark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"