New Lord of the Rings movies in the works

Awesome news. Looking forward to hearing more about this.

Classic WB. They steal the title from a fan film that exists for 15 years now and then make that film disappear due to copyright issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunt_for_Gollum#:~:text=The film is set in,a quest to find Gollum.

8pk4no.gif

How to successfully pull off a no budget CGI Gollum, stick him in a sack :cwink:

Curious the short film was just pulled. After quietly being there for 15 years, likely suddenly had thousands of eyes on it.
And all of a sudden a cease and desist?
Trailer is still there

Studio flexing over the little guy. - We own that $#!T

Last edited:
The positive is you can also look at it that interest in their mostly forgotten fan film just went through the roof 15 years later.

The positive is you can also look at it that interest in their mostly forgotten fan film just went through the roof 15 years later.
Absolutely. If Warner Bros had done nothing, people probably would've found the fan film just through a search or curiosity. But this tactic just shined a bigger spotlight on it.

Probably was done in error tbh, but that doesn't make WB look a lot better, just a bit more incompetent.

I love Middle Earth. I love the universe. I hope Serkis can pull something off. Feels like another property at the mercy of ravenous executives. The substantive extra material is off limits, so they're gonna pick at the LOTR until there's nothing but bones. Turning The Hobbit into a trilogy may end up looking damn restrained in hindsight.

They're only saying that bcause of that crappy game from last year.
They're only saying it because Lord of the Rings is a literary classic in a way that makes doing unnecessary fan fic spin offs that are almost inevitably going to be awful feel extra insulting. Especially in the context of every big IP being milked relentlessly, robbing the originals of some of what made them special.

Honestly, I can't see general audiences being terribly interested in a story about Gollum. They want LotR movies about Hobbits and great looking guys doing action stuff and epic visuals. And how are they going to get this out by 2026 when they haven't even written the script yet?

Viggo's 65 so he can't come back as a pre-LotR Aragorn, he'll have to be recast. Lee Pace might be able to reprise Thranduil. Not sure if Orlando Bloom can do Legolas any more, he's 47 now and has aged quite a bit in his face.

Honestly, I can't see general audiences being terribly interested in a story about Gollum. They want LotR movies about Hobbits and great looking guys doing action stuff and epic visuals. And how are they going to get this out by 2026 when they haven't even written the script yet?

Viggo's 65 so he can't come back as a pre-LotR Aragorn, he'll have to be recast. Lee Pace might be able to reprise Thranduil. Not sure if Orlando Bloom can do Legolas any more, he's 47 now and has aged quite a bit in his face.
They won't recast. We will get that garbage CG deaging crap that gave us Deep Fake Luke

They won't recast. We will get that garbage CG deaging crap that gave us Deep Fake Luke

But Deep Fake Luke was only in a few short scenes. Deep Fake Aragorn would be in the entire movie, including a lot of action sequences. Not sure even Weta could pull that off.

On the other hand, general audiences probably won't accept anybody but Viggo as Aragorn. We'll see what happens!

But Deep Fake Luke was only in a few short scenes. Deep Fake Aragorn would be in the entire movie, including a lot of action sequences. Not sure even Weta could pull that off.

On the other hand, general audiences probably won't accept anybody but Viggo as Aragorn. We'll see what happens!
Oh, they will still do it. Mark my words

The de-aging worries me because I don't think the tech is there yet. But would there be other ways to make Viggo look younger? I don't think they're gonna recast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"