New Mutants New Mutants News and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention that this happened so suddenly.
It wasn't like they suddenly decided that they didn't want Rosario Dawson.

Dawson was suddenly called back for luke cage & jessica jones

if she knew she had commitments she wouldnt even audition in the first place

Horrible casting. I can't believe they went there with all the criticism they've already gotten. At least Rosario was sort-of passable. Now they've fully taken a dark skinned, afro-haired black character and cast a white girl to play her. I'm sure she had a black great grandmother or something so Hollywood can feel justified but god damn this is as tonedeaf as it gets.

The whitewashing continues. Sucks that we wont be seeing the shades of color this property is known for

I'm deeply sad.

Sunspot, Dani, now Cecilia... I'm starting to think that girl we've seen before it's actually Karma.

Horrible casting. I can't believe they went there with all the criticism they've already gotten. At least Rosario was sort-of passable. Now they've fully taken a dark skinned, afro-haired black character and cast a white girl to play her. I'm sure she had a black great grandmother or something so Hollywood can feel justified but god damn this is as tonedeaf as it gets.

Criticisms from where, Tumblr?

Ugh why cant we just talk about the movie. Race, Race, blah blah blah, Race, Race

I don't get the "white washing" criticism. There's no white washing going on. It's not like they cast an actress that looks like Taylor Swift in the role to play a character names Cecilia Reyes. Clearly a Latina name I might add.

EVERY major comic movie right now, or that will soon come out has cast a character that was white in the comics with a black actor/actress, and nobody has a problem.

They cast a Latina in a Latina role, but because she's not Afro-Latina, everyone is losing their minds! LOL.

I don't get the "white washing" criticism. There's no white washing going on. It's not like they cast an actress that looks like Taylor Swift in the role to play a character names Cecilia Reyes. Clearly a Latina name I might add.

EVERY major comic movie right now, or that will soon come out has cast a character that was white in the comics with a black actor/actress, and nobody has a problem.

They cast a Latina in a Latina role, but because she's not Afro-Latina, everyone is losing their minds! LOL.

Well Said.

Well said, Mr. Stark. Seen some folks on Twitter just blow up about this like this news tanks the film. If she's good in the performance, that ought to be what matters.

I'm deeply sad.

Sunspot, Dani, now Cecilia... I'm starting to think that girl we've seen before it's actually Karma.

I'm confused

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunspot_(comics)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6723114/

They look alike to me. Henry Zaga is Brazilian like Robert da Costa

Blu Hunt looks Native American. She's clearly not "aryan" white.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm7385556/

Cecilia Reyes is Latina, Alice Braga is Latina. What's the issue? What happened to "race doesn't matter as long as the performance is there"? Her not being Afro-Latina has no bearing to the character whatsoever. This isn't a Storm or Black Panther situation where the character needs to stay that race. There are plenty of people that look like Alice Braga of Puerto Rican decent in the Bronx. Even in Puerto Rico. facebook search the name "Cecilia Reyes" and you'll find more people that look like Alice Braga than anything else.

Did you have a problem with Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie as well? A character that has always been portrayed as a blonde haired blue eyed character in all incarnations? Did that make you sad as well?

Not to mention no one outside of the folks on places like Stormfront had an issue when the whitest of the gods, Heimdall, was played by Idris Elba.

They're complaining that since Henry & Alice have light-skin, they won't have to suffer from discrimination like their comic books counterparts.

I'm confused

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunspot_(comics)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6723114/

They look alike to me. Henry Zaga is Brazilian like Robert da Costa
Sunspot-Marvel-Comics-New-Mutants-Roberto-da-Costa-a.jpg

thats the problem. Anyone with familiarity with the character, knows he's been whitewashed by Marvel and Fox

Not to mention no one outside of the folks on places like Stormfront had an issue when the whitest of the gods, Heimdall, was played by Idris Elba.

I honestly dont think many people were familiar enough with Heimdall to know what he was supposed to look like. Thor was my first exposure to him

Devery Jacobs, who auditioned for Dani, answered a fan question on Twitter about Blu where she talked about more about being in touch with your Native heritage vs the color of your skin. So if Blu only began to claim native status in order to audition for Dani, then yeah, big no.

https://twitter.com/danimoonstarr/with_replies

I think that's more of the right mindset we should approach for her.

Roberto on the other hand has had a history of being lightwashed in the comics, which has been rightfully critiqued. He's mixed in the comics, since his mother is a white Brazilian, but the comics clearly originally depicted him as Afro-Brazilian. Zaga is Latino and Brazilian yeah, but it does show Hollywood's preference towards lighter skinned POC. (Like Zoe Saldana being cast as Nina Simone)

Sunspot-Marvel-Comics-New-Mutants-Roberto-da-Costa-a.jpg

thats the problem. Anyone with familiarity with the character, knows he's been whitewashed by Marvel and Fox

I honestly dont think many people were familiar enough with Heimdall to know what he was supposed to look like. Thor was my first exposure to him

And no one with any familiarity with these comics is supposed to know what these characters look like.

Show a picture of Alice Braga to the casual viewer and say "her name is Cecilia Reyes, a Puerto Rican from the Bronx", nobody will bat an eye.

Same thing with Zaga, show a picture of him and say "His name is Roberto da Costa, from Brazil". Who will question you?

Devery Jacobs, who auditioned for Dani, answered a fan question on Twitter about Blu where she talked about more about being in touch with your Native heritage vs the color of your skin. So if Blu only began to claim native status in order to audition for Dani, then yeah, big no.

https://twitter.com/danimoonstarr/with_replies

I think that's more of the right mindset we should approach for her.

Roberto on the other hand has had a history of being lightwashed in the comics, which has been rightfully critiqued. He's mixed in the comics, since his mother is a white Brazilian, but the comics clearly originally depicted him as Afro-Brazilian. Zaga is Latino and Brazilian yeah, but it does show Hollywood's preference towards lighter skinned POC. (Like Zoe Saldana being cast as Nina Simone)

Nina Simone is a real life person. These characters are not.

Her not being Afro-Latina has no bearing to the character whatsoever. This isn't a Storm or Black Panther situation where the character needs to stay that race.
Major PoC superheroes are a lot rarer than white ones though so yeah, their race (almost) always matter.
Oh, and speaking of Storm... both the actresses who have played her so far are biracial and significantly lighter-skinned than comic Ororo.

I have seen plenty of "normal" nerds complain about the castings for Heimdall, Valkyrie, "MJ" etc. So no, I don't think it's just Nazis, lol.

On a more serious note, is it me or Alice Braga looks kinda like Brie Larson? She totally does, I swear... from certain angles.

The whitewashing and lightening of these characters is killing my hype for this movie.

And no one with any familiarity with these comics is supposed to know what these characters look like.

Show a picture of Alice Braga to the casual viewer and say "her name is Cecilia Reyes, a Puerto Rican from the Bronx", nobody will bat an eye.

Same thing with Zaga, show a picture of him and say "His name is Roberto da Costa, from Brazil". Who will question you?
Is that supposed to make it better? Just bc an audience is ignorant and doesn't know something is an example of whitewashing doesn't mean it isn't. There is valid reasons why actual fans are upset with the casting

It's baffling to me to know that there are people who read zillions of X-Men comic books, seen movies and cartoons, but have zero social conscious. It's just baffling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"