Sequels New Raimi Interview

Geez, now you wanna match movie with comics, that ship has sailed. There's a ton that's in the film that's not in the comics. And no one will blink an eye if Electro fries someone, except soccer moms and a few light-hearted geeks from the Hype.

No one wants an R rating just for the sake of it, have you been reading what has been said? No, I want to see Electro fry someone, because he's a villain, he's bad, he's not good, and it's his goddamn power! It's getting so bad, that fanboys actually take offense at a villain killing someone in a harsh way.

Why not just have Spider-Man set up a picnic date with his villains at Jelly Stone Park--or perhaps Spidey setting up a psychiatrist stand, where a villain pays him 5 cents to have some good talked into him.

I guess you want future Spidey movies with Sam Raimi's kids yelling wicked and cool, eh? :dry:
You dont realize that most comic fans are huge horror fans, we just arent all gooseballs who want everything to be the same tone. I wish there was an R-rated Batman, but Spiderman doesnt fit that world. Spiderman doesnt WORK in a gritty, realistic world. A guy swinging around in bright clothes making stupid jokes to the backdrop of a realistic NYC and real life violence would make the character seem ridiculous. Spiderman works best in his world, where there still is killing (the doctors getting tentacle'd in SM2) and threats from villains, but also a lighter tone and slightly campy world that makes the existense of Spiderman less jarring.

Your kind keep mentioning soccer moms, who are notorious for being hot, and blaming them for why we arent getting an R rated Spiderman. That has nothing to do with it, they didnt make a PG-13 Die Hard 4 or first AvP or Daredevil to please soccer moms, they did it because they want the extra $$$$ that comes with the wider audience of a PG-13 film. Spiderman wasnt toned down for any reason, it was made to match the tone of the comics. I have done things in life that would cause you to go in a coma if I just told you, and I wish there were more violent R rated movies around these days, but I'm not a single minded X-Box owner who cant appreciate things that dont explode.

If you want to get an idea of what an R-rated Spider-Man is like, and why it doesn't the tone of the franchise, read Spider-Man: Reign.

You dont realize that most comic fans are huge horror fans, we just arent all gooseballs who want everything to be the same tone. I wish there was an R-rated Batman, but Spiderman doesnt fit that world. Spiderman doesnt WORK in a gritty, realistic world. A guy swinging around in bright clothes making stupid jokes to the backdrop of a realistic NYC and real life violence would make the character seem ridiculous. Spiderman works best in his world, where there still is killing (the doctors getting tentacle'd in SM2) and threats from villains, but also a lighter tone and slightly campy world that makes the existense of Spiderman less jarring.
Great, here's to hoping that Sam Raimi's kids return with much bigger parts in SM4. :whatever:

The doctor getting tentacled would have been great if Doc Ock was actually awake and doing the damage himself. Not to mention, if you get tossed around by tentacles that tosses cars like Tonka toys, you would at least expect someone to, oh I don't know...bleed.
Your kind keep mentioning soccer moms, who are notorious for being hot, and blaming them for why we arent getting an R rated Spiderman. That has nothing to do with it, they didnt make a PG-13 Die Hard 4 or first AvP or Daredevil to please soccer moms, they did it because they want the extra $$$$ that comes with the wider audience of a PG-13 film.
I guess Jesus doesn't come with a wider audience, because his movie was R-rated. And it made more MONEY than AvsP, Daredevil and DH4. The more money because it's PG-13 excuses never hold any water with me. Not when you have the '300' film making more than Batman Begins.
Spiderman wasnt toned down for any reason, it was made to match the tone of the comics. I have done things in life that would cause you to go in a coma if I just told you, and I wish there were more violent R rated movies around these days, but I'm not a single minded X-Box owner who cant appreciate things that dont explode.
Another guy with a Dirty Harry story, either way Mr. Dangerous, I've explained in detail why I wanted an R-rating, and it has nothing to do with explosions. Oh, and I don't play X-Box. :dry:

If you want to get an idea of what an R-rated Spider-Man is like, and why it doesn't the tone of the franchise, read Spider-Man: Reign.
Also, read it if you've ever wondered if it could be possible to translate the dump you just squeezed out into a story. Or if you just like really bad Frank Miller impressions.

Yeah, it makes me laugh too, because he actually thinks the movies follows the comics or its tone.

Yeah, it makes me laugh too, because he actually thinks the movies follows the comics or its tone.

Uh, the movies ARE inspired by the comics. Details may be changed for the sake of the medium, but both the comics and the movies share the same tone for Spider-Man.

Like I said, Spider-Man: Reign is an example of why an R-rating is completely inappropriate for Spider-Man.

ebg.jpe
http://www.vatsaas.org/rtv/arsenal/teamrocs/bert/ebg.jpe

Uh, the movies ARE inspired by the comics. Details may be changed for the sake of the medium, but both the comics and the movies share the same tone for Spider-Man.
Try telling this to the Spider-Man purists. :dry:
Let's make an R-Rated Winnie the Pooh.
Let Sam Raimi write SM4 with more of his kids yucking it up, and Pooh will be R-rated compare to it. :o

^ Spider-Man purists are such a minority. Most fans understand what Blader said and accept changes for movie franchise. If purists had their way this genre would have been dead before it started. We'd see the same dialogue from print to screen. How funny. LOL

Try telling this to the Spider-Man purists. :dry:
Let Sam Raimi write SM4 with more of his kids yucking it up, and Pooh will be R-rated compare to it. :o
Hell, they are going to have to change Pooh's name because it's hidden societal meaning translates to sh**. The kids in SM2 and SM1 at least could act, but in SM3 we get Raimi's rotten kids and two even look at the camera.

Hell, they are going to have to change Pooh's name because it's hidden societal meaning translates to sh**. The kids in SM2 and SM1 at least could act, but in SM3 we get Raimi's rotten kids and two even look at the camera.

Howabout Winnie the Turd?

Wow, where do you go to get brainwashed? Most fans accept changes for the movie franchise...okay. I haven't met a lot of people like that, but if you say so. :confused:

Well if you liked Spider-Man, Blade, Spider-Man 2, X-Men, X2, Batman Begins, Batman, BAtman REturns...uh yeah you accepted those changes and some were pretty major. Anyone who's so anal they can't understand or accept any changes from a 4 color comic made 30 years ago to a film today...needs help. :)

The kids in SM2 and SM1 at least could act, but in SM3 we get Raimi's rotten kids and two even look at the camera.
The kids were horrible in both films. If only we had a villain to throw them off a rooftop when Spidey isn't around.

The kids were horrible in both films. If only we had a villain to throw them off a rooftop when Spidey isn't around.
HAHA I would watch a movie where villians throw kids off of rooftops for 2 hours.

Uh yes most lizards do have teeth. Also he's not just a lizard he's a mutated human.

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-38384/lizard

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-38384/lizard

Okay. Lizard's do have teeth, but not the big, sharp ripping teeth that the comics have shown recently. The point I'm trying to make is that this:

http://www.allaboutduncan.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/lizard-a-500.jpg

...is a a more scientifically accurate representation of what a human-lizard hybrid would look like than this is:

http://www.samruby.com/Villains/Lizard/LizardSpec.gif

...whether it looks cool or not.

Also, for the record, I think that villains do need to be villainous and kill people (I thought Sandman was way too tame), I just don't want to see brutal killing or torture onscreen. The way Spider-Man 2 handled the death of Ock's wife and the surgery scene was a perfect example of how to do deaths in Spider-Man.

2 of the kids in Spidey 2 on the train were Tobey's half brothers or cousins or something like that.

Geez, now you wanna match movie with comics, that ship has sailed. There's a ton that's in the film that's not in the comics. And no one will blink an eye if Electro fries someone, except soccer moms and a few light-hearted geeks from the Hype.

No one wants an R rating just for the sake of it, have you been reading what has been said? No, I want to see Electro fry someone, because he's a villain, he's bad, he's not good, and it's his goddamn power! It's getting so bad, that fanboys actually take offense to a villain killing someone in a harsh way.

Why not just have Spider-Man set up a picnic date with his villains at Jelly Stone Park--or perhaps Spidey setting up a psychiatrist stand, where a villain pays him 5 cents to have some good talked into him.

I guess you want future Spidey movies with Sam Raimi's kids yelling wicked and cool, eh? :dry:

You don't have to fry someone and have them scream in torturous pain. That is not the same thing as Electro killing someone during a robbery. I agree villains should be a bit more evil from now on, but there is still a line with that. You may say the comics are out, but that goes for comic events, not the feel of the story. The feel of the Spidey movies I feel has been consistant with the earlier comics, and I want them to keep that up. Electro can fry people, but I don't want him frying someone as their skin is peeling off and their screaming while he is laughing like a jackal...there are ways to make him evil and not over do it.

Again, why do we need an R-rating or making villains do over-the-top evil things to make villains seem more evil?

First: Lizard shouldn't even have teeth. Lizards don't have teeth, and humans don't have sharp teeth. That's one thing the original comics got right that the modern ones f***ed-up for the sake of being "badass." And Electro should be able to kill people, and SHOULD kill people. However, writhing in pain is not something I, or anyone else, needs to see or hear in a Spider-Man film. Spider-Man is not dark and gritty. That's not how the character is. I mean, I like dark and gritty as much as the next guy, but anyone who wants that for Spider-Man doesn't want the Spider-Man of the comics. Typically, Spider-Man should evoke a sense of childlike wonder and amazement. He should be able to make wisecracks (good ones, and sparingly, but wisecracks nonetheless).

Spider-Man 3 could have been dark, and should have been, but wasn't. The emo-dancing could have been replaced with black-suited Spidey stopping a bank robbery, and beating the sh** out of the robbers only to realize what he's become. That would suit the film much more. Beyond that, Spidey doesn't need to be "dark." I mean, I know it's been said to death already, but Spider-Man is not Batman. I'm looking forward to The Dark Knight because it looks to be truly dark, gritty, and scary. I would probably not look forward as much to a Spider-Man movie with those characteristics (though Kraven-Lizard could certainly lean strongly toward that side). Spider-Man is big, epic, and colorful. Which isn't to say it can't be serious... it needs to be. But the wonder is important.

Thank you. :up:

Okay. Lizard's do have teeth, but not the big, sharp ripping teeth that the comics have shown recently. The point I'm trying to make is that this:

http://www.allaboutduncan.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/lizard-a-500.jpg

...is a a more scientifically accurate representation of what a human-lizard hybrid would look like than this is:

http://www.samruby.com/Villains/Lizard/LizardSpec.gif

...whether it looks cool or not.

Also, for the record, I think that villains do need to be villainous and kill people (I thought Sandman was way too tame), I just don't want to see brutal killing or torture onscreen. The way Spider-Man 2 handled the death of Ock's wife and the surgery scene was a perfect example of how to do deaths in Spider-Man.
How is a large lizard humanoid going to be scary without menacing teeth:huh: Is he going to gum people to death:dry: The first Lizard you showed had a motive of wanting to populate the Earth with fellow lizard people...and that plot is dumb and should never be in a movie. Secondly, lizards do have teeth and when you scale it up to a 7 foot monster...the teeth will be significantly bigger. But I agree with villians killing, GG did it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"