New Steve Niles/Kelly Jones Batman series

PhotoJones

Avenger
Reaction score
People either love Kelly Jones or they hate him. It looks like DC thinks more people love him, as he's getting a new 12 issue series, Batman: Gotham After Midnight with horror guy, Steve Niles. Thoughts?

batman_jones.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12043

Well, I read a Nile's Batman (the 3 issue prestige format or w/e it was) and I wasn't really in love with it. And I can't say that I like 30 Days of Night, because I don't. But I will eventually get around to buying anything Batman so I'm down for it.

I can't say I know who Kelly Jones is (the artist from Red Rain?), the art looks alright.

I say if anyone comes back to Batman I'd like Paul Pope to come back to Batman. Year 100 was awesome.

Yeah, anything Paul Pope touches is pure gold. Kelly Jones was a Batman artist from the 80's and 90's who's schtick was pretty much what you see there; long bat ears, long cape and a generally more demonic approach.

Okay, yeah he worked on the Red Rain Trilogy. I wasn't in love with the art style but he had a good eye as far as drawing panels. I imagine this will be a horror Batman, which is kinda neat-- Batman used to use "fear" like growls and spreading his cape dramatically to scare enemies (criminals are cowardly lot I guess...).... then someone decided that Batman just brutalizes everyone. I'm fine with that, but I don't mind seeing multiple interpretations of a character.

My favorite thing that Steve Niles did in... oh yes, "Gotham County Line" was this scene where Batman is chasing the villain in one scene and in the next, suddenly Batman gets hit behind the head and knocked out (I guess the guy hid in a tree right before Batman got to him or something stupid like that). I remember thinking... "that would never happen to Batman-- he's Batman." But Nile's Batman was more realistic (if you discount the ghosts, if you know, you don't believe in ghosts).

I basically grew up on Kelley Jones' Batman. Him and Doug Moench's Batman run is really fantastic, so bizzare and so unusual for Batman. It has to be read.

Not the biggest fan of his style ever, but him and Moench made an amazing team back in the day. Maybe he does just belong in the 90s though.

The only time Kelley Jones art is appropriate is on horror or elseworld's tales. It just doesn't work on a mainstream Bat-book.

I like Jones in general, but I don't think his Batman looks that great.

I dotn get whats going on with his cape in this picture.

Bleh, hate Jones' Batman. :down

I'll probably check this series out. Upon first seriously collecting Batman (which was around Knightfall time) Kelly Jones was usually the cover artist for various Bat Books during that era. With some of those covers being favourites of mine as well. So I'll always like Jones' Batman, and will likely be checking this series out. Even if just for essentially sentimental reasons.

I'm not much of a fan of Jones' Batman.

Jones' art is fine aside from his Batman.

And even there, it could be a lot better if he just clipped those crazy ears.

I don't actually mind Jones's bat-ears (sam Keith does the same thing, but much better [not in Batman/Lobo though, that was garbage]), it's just the overall of his Batman that I don't like.

Steve Niles however, is slowly losing whatever it is he had. 30 days..... was great, but the endless spinoffs get worse and worse, and Gotham County Line was awful, both in story and artwork, truly some of the worst I've seen in recent publications.

I don't actually mind Jones's bat-ears (sam Keith does the same thing, but much better [not in Batman/Lobo though, that was garbage]), it's just the overall of his Batman that I don't like.

Steve Niles however, is slowly losing whatever it is he had. 30 days..... was great, but the endless spinoffs get worse and worse, and Gotham County Line was awful, both in story and artwork, truly some of the worst I've seen in recent publications.
Sam Keith does not belong in superhero comics.

Not excited for Niles. I've never not been disappointed with him.

Sam Keith does not belong in superhero comics.

Was that "Secrets" story Keith did with Batman and Joker just bad or was it just not great? Over time I find I pretty much buy any Batman stuff I see. But if it is just trash then I may at least get it later.

And I really don't like Niles' 30 Days at all. I think he also took over for Bendis on Hellspawn and while he at least had a plot, it wasn't that great. But I got County Line cause like I said... Batman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"