New to comics(both Marvel/DC), don't know where to start

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I've always seen Marvel/DC movies around and after seeing Avengers and after getting into Smallville season 11, I kinda want to explore a bit more.

So I always see stuff like "Essential reads" and things like that, but they seem like a massive overload of information. I'm familiar with some stuff, so I'm not a total noob (for example I know what Civil War is, and Public Enemies etc).

So the question is, where do I start? With Marvel(especially Avengers), should I start with the Ultimate series? or the one below? And I know this is the Marvel section, I just want to ask with DC, should I start with the new 52?

Avengers-Assemble-1.jpeg

PS I'm familiar with the cartoons

Last edited:
That Avengers Assemble series is a good point to start from for the Avengers. It's still in its first arc, which is nice, and its purpose is to give new readers coming in due to the Avengers movie something to latch onto.

However, Marvel is winding down a HUGE mega event called Avengers vs. X-Men and there's going to be a big change after it's finished. A lot of Avenger titles are starting over with new creative teams, rosters are getting switched, etc. You can definately pick up Avengers Assemble, which reads alone without influence from any other comic, but your best bet is to pick up the new stuff when AvX finishes. The newest title, Uncanny Avengers, starts in September, and then more will be coming in October... such as a relaunch of Avengers and New Avengers.

As far as DC... yeah, stick with New 52 starting out. Most everything else prior to that (except Batman and Green Lantern stuff) has been wiped out anyway. Green Lantern pulls heavily from previous stuff (but is still enjoyable) and don't even try with Batman Incorporated... a lot of confusing history there... but everything else is fairly new reader friendly.

The Ultimates is part of the Ultimate Universe. It was an alternate take on the Marvel Universe starting back in 2000 where everything was different. The Ultimates are sort of their Avengers and is in no way connected to the real Avengers. I'd say skip it until you're more emersed with the main universe to understand the differences.

Last edited:
I have been on and off comics for a few years now. When i saw DC doing the New 52, for me, it was a good way to start. So for DC, i would suggest starting with the New 52. For Marvel, i just recently started reading their comics again, but i know Hulk, Thor, Cap, and Dardevil are about 15 or so issues in. They arent hard to catch up on.

You might as wait until Marvel NOW starts in October because many books are being relaunched. Until then maybe check Amazon for trades. They have Listamania that people compile as essential reading for certain topics. I'd check the Avengers related ones for some of the important storylines in their history.

And for the record - Avengers Assembled is an abomination as to what it means for the actual history of Avengers. I have not read it but have heard plenty of complaints and read many negative reviews about it having a poor grasp of continuity and characterization. If you want to jump in the comics because of the Avengers movie do not....I repeat.....DO NOT start there. It is a mirage that seems appealing to the average movie goer newbie Marvel fan but as it relates to the history of the Avengers, is insignificant. Marvel themselves are making it insignificant by cancelling it in a few months.....or possibly relaunching who the hell knows anymore???

Also, there's the official recommendations thread at the top of the page where you can find posters likes and dislikes. It may help you find your way around getting exposed to the Marvel Universe.

Come to think of it, this is the second time in a week a new poster missed the recommendations thread. The mods made it sticky but it always gets missed. Maybe they should try a different color font of put it in BOLD or something. :dry:

I'd say that if you want the comics that feel most like the Avengers movie style-wise, go with Ultimates volume 1 and 2. Those are both absolutely fantastic and feature Avengers in a very cinematic style.
Also, Ultimate Spider-Man was fantastic for over 100 issues before it dropped off a bit, and the trade paperbacks of that series sell very cheap now, so that would be a great one to read.

Also, personally I go with the trade paperbacks rather than single issues these days. They're much more durable, you end up paying less, and you get whole story arcs with each purchase.

Story arcs are for wussies... give me the never ending soap opera style storytelling any time... :up:

:yay:

Last edited:
Ditto!

And Ultimates vol. 1 and 2 are definately amazing reads and similar to the movie, but remember that they are out of continuity... not really connected to the main Marvel Avengers team in any way. They stand alone.

And as for a previous statement... Avengers Assemble isn't that bad. It's nothing amazing but for a new reader without decades of history knowledge you likely will enjoy it just fine. The writer and artist ARE leaving the book after this first arc but I think the title will continue. We'll see though.

But yeah, waiting for the Marvel Now relaunch in October is still likely your best bet (though the first new title, Uncanny Avengers, comes out in September).

Ok so I'm getting mixed opinions regarding Marvel, but I'm definitely sticking with new 52 for DC.

and like I said earlier, when I see stuff like "essential reads" there's just too much information, sometimes Marvel's rich history of numerous comic book series does more harm than good for people like me. I just want to be pointed in the right direction. So I think I'll try both Avengers Assemble and the Ultimates, unless someone shows me something better to start with.

So I looked up stuff on this Marvel NOW stuff especially in regards to Avengers comics. So the X-Men are kinda merging with the Avengers as Cap realizes he never did enough for mutants.

So I'm just wondering something here, sorry if I sound noob-ish but does the distrust of mutants extends to super-powered people altogether in the marvel-verse hence Civil War? There wasn't really much outside media(like Animated series) which depict X-Men and the Avengers in the same world. I mean you see EMH where the Avengers were praised most of the time and then there's the X-Men(like in Evolution, Wolverine and the X-Men, and 1990s TAS) who get the opposite reception.

So I'm just wondering something here, sorry if I sound noob-ish but does the distrust of mutants extends to super-powered people altogether in the marvel-verse hence Civil War? There wasn't really much outside media(like Animated series) which depict X-Men and the Avengers in the same world. I mean you see EMH where the Avengers were praised most of the time and then there's the X-Men(like in Evolution, Wolverine and the X-Men, and 1990s TAS) who get the opposite reception.

It's been up and down since Civil War. The next event was Secret Invasion featuring an invasion by the Skrulls. Tony Stark's poor tactics cost him reign over SHIELD so Norman Osborn was given that power by the President in a story called Dark Reign. Once Osborn went nuts, like everyone knew he would, it all culminated in the event SIEGE, where the heroes conquered and the Super Hero Registration law was repealed/modified to a voluntary basis only.

All seemed well as there were even celebration style scenes in Times Square welcoming the Avengers back. The next event, Fear Itself, involved an Asgardian serpent god invading the world leading to public distrust yet again.

And that's where we are at now with AvX. There had already been numerous protests outside of Avengers Mansion and now the X-Men have taken over as the primary good guys (at least in the public's eye). My opinion is that post AvX and into the NOW phase, you'll see a role reversal of the common thinking "mutants are good and Avengers are bad". Or at least the lines are going to be heavily blurred regarding social standings.

Oh and if you have any more questions like this, notice the official stupid questions thread, right over the recommendations thread I mentioned earlier. :yay: :up:

Back in the day, when there was just one Avengers book, this question would have been a no-brainer...lol

Are you planning on just getting trades? Or will you be interested in picking up monthlies at some point?

This is why I can't STAND Marvel's method of going overboard on the number of titles per character or team, their constant relaunching of those titles, and constant renumbering of them. Marvel is NOT new reader friendly and hasn't been in years.

And yeah, New 52 is a great jumping on point for new DC readers. DC did a great job with that.

Marvel... just look into the Marvel Now stuff and decide on what titles sound interesting to you.

We know that there will be Uncanny Avengers staring Captain America, Scarlet Witch, Thor, Rogue, Wolverine, and Havoc (Cyclops' brother... Alex from X-Men First Class). There will be an Avengers title that will have a large cast and will come out every 2 weeks. And there will be a title called New Avengers (the 3rd title called New Avengers since 2004).

Avengers and New Avengers will be written by the same guy, Hickman, but we know nothing about them yet. Previously Avengers were the big team tackling big threats and New Avengers was the street level team tackling street leveled threats. If that still stands is still unknown.

Uncanny Avengers we know a little about and you can find that in interviews at Newsarama.com.

Also, if you liked Hawkeye in the Avengers movie he's getting a brand new ongoing title starting this Wednesday.

The new DC52 has not impressed me aside from the Batman comic... and Swamp Thing... another character that I have loved since the mid 70's...

The new DC52 has not impressed me aside from the Batman comic... and Swamp Thing... another character that I have loved since the mid 70's...

I, Vampire if you are not reading it is definitely a good read. It might impress you

I remember some of the early 80's stuff in House of Mystery... I was probably too young to appreciate JDM at the time... though I did like his Greenberg the Vampire GN in 1985...

If I can get the first trade at a cheap price, I might give it a try...

Thanks... :up:

I remember some of the early 80's stuff in House of Mystery... I was probably too young to appreciate JDM at the time... though I did like his Greenberg the Vampire GN in 1985...

If I can get the first trade at a cheap price, I might give it a try...

Thanks... :up:

No problem :yay: Its probably my favorite title from the New 52. So i try to let as many people as i can know about it :yay:

I'm enjoying Batman, Batman & Robin, Nightwing, Green Lantern, and Justice League Dark. Batwoman and Justice League are just okay but with potential of getting better.

That's my opinion anyway.

I'm enjoying Batman, Batman & Robin, Nightwing, Green Lantern, and Justice League Dark. Batwoman and Justice League are just okay but with potential of getting better.

That's my opinion anyway.

I'm following alot of titles from the New 52. Aquaman, Batman, Earth 2,Green Lantern, New Guardians, Green Lantern Corps, I,Vampire, Justice League, Nightwing, Red Lanterns, Superman, The Flash. Aquaman is a surprisingly good book right now. I love what Johns is doing with it

I'm currently getting Batman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man & Justice League Dark...

I dropped a few along the way, and methinks I'll just stick with this one... though the Phantom Stranger has me interested... if it weren't Diddio writing it... :cmad:

:csad:

I've heard good things about AM and ST, but i have too many books right now to give them a try. :csad: I might drop a few though, I would have dropped RL by now, but i'm intrigued by the current arc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"