• Secure your account

    A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

  • Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

new avengers - it's that damn noob again!

LorDZeeD

Registered User
Joined
Nov 21, 2004
Messages
336
Reaction score
0
Points
11
i really did appreciate all the advice regarding house of M and dissasembled. i was just wondering if you all felt that picking up new avengers (from the start) would be a wise move for a complete noob to marvel who really enjoyed HoM and Avengers Dissasembled, but has little to no knowledge of the current marvel u outside of movies, cartoons and what's in the HoM and dissasembled.

looks (to my humble outsider eyes) like the marvel equivalent of the morrison/waid run on JLA - should i get it?
 
If you liked the other Bendis Marvel superhero stuff, you'll like New Avengers.
I think it's atrocious (like Bendis' other superhero work - he could take lessons from Mark Millar on how to write action) but it certainly has some appeal. Just, you know, not to me.
 
Ben Urich said:
If you liked the other Bendis Marvel superhero stuff, you'll like New Avengers.
I think it's atrocious (like Bendis' other superhero work - he could take lessons from Mark Millar on how to write action) but it certainly has some appeal. Just, you know, not to me.


Pretty much the same here.
 
If you really enjoyed HoM, you'll probably like it.

But...I hate it.

Just me.
 
New Avengers is garbage.

If you like spending $2.99 on 22 pages of 'talking heads' with little or no action until the sixth issue in that arc, then go ahead.
 
deemar325 said:
New Avengers is garbage.

If you like spending $2.99 on 22 pages of 'talking heads' with little or no action until the sixth issue in that arc, then go ahead.


Or 22 pages where 18 of those pages are just spreads and splash pages with no dialogue.
 
I say pick it up. I like it and it's the only way to get your grown up Avenger fix. If you don't care about their ages, then I super recommend Young Avengers.
 
If you liked Avengers: Dissassembled for some crazy reason, then you'll love New Avengers.
 
Eh, go for it. It seems to be the focal point of all things going on in Marvel these days. Which is what the Avengers always should have been. Shame it's not done better, but it's not bad. I'd also recommend the New Avengers: Illuminati Special which will key you in to the behind the scense of the current big event going on, Civil War, and the recent New Avengers Annual which showcased one hell of a throwdown with the new Super Adaptoid plus Luke Cage and Jessica Jones' wedding. Other than that it's your call buddy. But I'd take CS's suggestion and grab Young Avengers too. Spins out of Disassembled and has been a damn fine read. One of the best books Marvel's putting out really.
 
Darthphere said:
Or 22 pages where 18 of those pages are just spreads and splash pages with no dialogue.
That issue pissed me off. Decompression is one thing, but page after page of splashes is just ridiculous. That's called a poster book, not a narrative.
 
I have a rather n00bish question to ask: Is Iron Man any good?
 
New Avengers started out good but has fallen off quite a bit.......

and as Anubis said IM is good whenever it actually comes out.
 
In the Annual he was forced to tale a whole story in 22 pages, he couldn't get around that time.


Hey you guys should checkout comicbookresources.com it has a section called 'Lying in the gutters' and Alan Davis has some quotes on there about the whole decompression thing.

It's Davis saying it like it is about how he doesn't like decompression and not fond of the writers who indulge in it.
 
I find New Avengers to be a good read. Get the first trade, pick up the annual. Decide what you want to do from there.
 
I liked Avengers: Dissassembled, and I really like New Avengers. I've read every issue and it's been cool. And hey, I also like Bendis' action scenes. The recent arc has been cool too. I don't see a problem. Anyway, I think you'll like it. Especially if you like Dissassembled and HoM.
 
Illuminati and Annual showed that Bendis can write SHORT, DECENT stories if he's forced to. Otherwise, much like trolls on MBs who post crap to up their post count, he stretches out all his stories beyond where they can go to up his issue count. NA is crap. Get YA. It's more th' Avengers than th' big guys.
 
deemar325 said:
In the Annual he was forced to tale a whole story in 22 pages, he couldn't get around that time.
Annuals aren't 22 pages
 
LorDZeeD said:
i really did appreciate all the advice regarding house of M and dissasembled. i was just wondering if you all felt that picking up new avengers (from the start) would be a wise move for a complete noob to marvel who really enjoyed HoM and Avengers Dissasembled, but has little to no knowledge of the current marvel u outside of movies, cartoons and what's in the HoM and dissasembled.

looks (to my humble outsider eyes) like the marvel equivalent of the morrison/waid run on JLA - should i get it?

If you're a big fan of Electro and/or Carnage you may want to skip the first few issues :) .....

Personally I like the mag...(not something you wanna admit freely around here :) ).. ..will like it even better when Spidey's gone....his characterization is nothing less than brutal!
 
Yeah if you enjoyed the other stuff (hom disassembled) pick it up, it's quite a bit better than that actually (really hits its stride after the first new avengers arc IMO).

You can safely relegate some of the criticisms (presented here) to a general dislike of bendis's writing style (and his killing of hawkeye ;) ), only one arc of the 4 written so far has had 6 issues and only 1 issue of 18 written has had a ridiculous splash page count which won't happen again.

I'd also pick up the annual.
 
I really like NA
if you like Dissambelled and HOM I think you'll love it.
and the Annual was awesome by any standard
 
thankyou all for all the feedback

i managed to lose my e-bay bid for all the back issues so i think i may have to go for the trades. to be honest, my real worry is that i'm so unfamiliar with the marvel charecters that i'll be lost. i'm sure i missed a lot of the finer points of both HoM and dissasembled, but did definately enjoy the stories as a whole, - more so than i think a marvel fan with little to no knowledge of the DCU would enjoy infinite crisis.

truth is i got caught up in all the civil war hype and bought the earlier two because of it.

i've been told in the previous thread that MTU, exiles and Supreme Power are the best starters for a noob like myself - and finance permitting i will get them eventually, but what i'd truly like (in some kind of afforable manner) is to have something to link these big events without being completely submerged in unfamiliar charecters - thus i assumed New Avengers.

as it seems i will have to go with trades as opposed for rooting around for individual issues, does that mean i won't be able to read the Annual?

one other question: is wolverie's new found memory being explored in any decent shape or form?
 
LorDZeeD said:
i've been told in the previous thread that MTU, exiles and Supreme Power are the best starters for a noob like myself - and finance permitting i will get them eventually, but what i'd truly like (in some kind of afforable manner) is to have something to link these big events without being completely submerged in unfamiliar charecters - thus i assumed New Avengers.

Well MTU is a brilliant comic, highly recommended but it is likely to contain more unfamiliar characters than NA. Superme power is self contained though so if you get the trades very enjoyable :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"