News on The Thing Costume

Obi-Ron said:
I don't remember the names involved, but I recall an interview with one of the effects guys who said the browless Thing was a result of one of the suits saying classic Ben looked "too much like a caveman"

:down :mad:

I knew it.
Stupid know-nothing suits.

I'm sure Tim Story is aware at this point that the overwhelming majority of fans want the brow.
I would imagine he's been all for it all along.
Let's hope he's given the creative power to make it happen for FF2.

"I don't remember the names involved, but I recall an interview with one of the effects guys who said the browless Thing was a result of one of the suits saying classic Ben looked "too much like a caveman".

Th^t is why I could never work in the film industry. I'd either have a stroke when the guy said that, or I'd clobber his ass, involuntarily, automatically clobber his ass.

"Um, we need to change Doom's mask. It looks too...metallic. Ew!"

:rolleyes:

There was an interview with Tim story, prior to the releease of the first film, in which he said that the reason he went with the look he did is that the brow looked too "cartoony" and that the more human look was more tragic.

He has also commented that a sequel would allow Ben to be more comfortable with himself and more fun-loving like he is in the comic books.

That has always given me hope that he could go with a larger brow in the sequel to capture Ben's lighter side.

They clearly didn't care too much about the legacy of the Thing.
Wolverine got to smoke a cigar, but not THE THING?!?
LOL, a year later and that still kills me, hahaha.
The Thing was smoking a cigar when the Wolverine had whiskers!

Wintroa.jpg

Willie Lumpkin said:
There was an interview with Tim story, prior to the releease of the first film, in which he said that the reason he went with the look he did is that the brow looked too "cartoony" and that the more human look was more tragic.

Uh oh. That Story thought the brow-less look was better doesn't give me much hope that Ben will evolve as he should. :(

Willie Lumpkin said:
He has also commented that a sequel would allow Ben to be more comfortable with himself and more fun-loving like he is in the comic books.

That has always given me hope that he could go with a larger brow in the sequel to capture Ben's lighter side.

Maybe that's why we got the "I'm fine as is" nonsense at the end of FF1.

I hope you're right, though. It certainly sounds like he knows they went way wrong with Doom.

This will not get any better than the last ****astic movie until Story is fired and Fox ****s off and lets marvel have the rights back. Maybe then the FFINO movies can be a thing of the past.

WTFwuzThT said:
This will not get any better than the last ****astic movie until Story is fired and Fox ****s off and lets marvel have the rights back. Maybe then the FFINO movies can be a thing of the past.

I see that you're real big on Bryan Singer being booted from the Superman franchise. That's at least a remote possibility since Superman Returns underperformed at the box office.
Just the opposite with FF.
FF exceeded opening weekend projections by over 10 million and it kept raking it in steadily over the next couple of months, despite the critical drubbing it took and the unfortunate fact that it fell short in several areas. Kids loved it, families loved it, it was a pot of gold for FOX both at the theater and on DVD.
Tim Story ain't goin' nowhere.
And unlike Singer, Story has acknowledged his film's shortcomings and is working to make a sequel that is a quantum leap improvement.
The die is cast. Give the guy a chance. The suits did a lot more to ruin FF1 than Tim Story.

Malus said:
It's sad how little it would have taken to get it right. (sniff!)

. . . but encouraging that it could be so easily fixed.

I'm going on the record. Right now, August 11, 2006 as predicting that we will get a better looking brow in FF2.

Anyone in Vancouver with a good camera? Lockjaw, you still around? We may know in a few more weeks.

Willie Lumpkin said:
I'm going on the record. Right now, August 11, 2006 as predicting that we will get a better looking brow in FF2.

I sure hope you're right, Willie.

Hey, wasn't Tim Story supposed to be dropping by here, and maybe posting? Anybody know what happened to that?

"EASILY"????!!!!!

It's ART, Willie!

Benjy.gif

Malus said:
I sure hope you're right, Willie.

Hey, wasn't Tim Story supposed to be dropping by here, and maybe posting? Anybody know what happened to that?

I'm less interested in that than seeing the video diaries he said they started filming (three weeks ago?).

I suspect he either reads these notes or at least has someone write up summaries of key points for him. Many of his comments in interviews seem to directly address comments that people have made on here.

Felix said:
"EASILY"????!!!!!

It's ART, Willie!

Benjy.gif

LOL! Not downplaying your magnificent effort . . . just agreeing with Malus that a few ounces of foam rubber (and a $1.00 cigar ) would have made a big difference for the better.

. . . actually I just thought of something . . .

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to be smoking a cigar while your face is covered with flammable foam rubber held on by solvent based adhesives.

Maybe that had something to do with the decision.

Willie Lumpkin said:
. . . actually I just thought of something . . .

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to be smoking a cigar while your face is covered with flammable foam rubber held on by solvent based adhesives.

Maybe that had something to do with the decision.

Probably would not be a good idea, no.
I would imagine any stogie-chompin' they let Ben do in the movies would be quite brief, so they could always add the burning end digitally...

Not sure how often Ben actually smokes/smoked cigars. Maybe he just chomps on 'em unlit, like Baretta used to do with cigarettes.

I've got mixed feelings about Ben smoking in the movies, but if Wolverine can do it...

With him saying ''Y'know,I used to smoke!'' in the first one, it makes you wonder why he'd start up again...:confused:

Sabretooth said:
With him saying ''Y'know,I used to smoke!'' in the first one, it makes you wonder why he'd start up again...:confused:

Maybe getting yourself doused in cosmic rays and turned into a big orange monster would do it. ;)

Possibly. But I honestly don't care that much whether or not he smokes. As long as he LOOKS like the Thing,it's fine.

Sabretooth said:
Possibly. But I honestly don't care that much whether or not he smokes. As long as he LOOKS like the Thing,it's fine.

Agreed.

Brow.

Malus said:
I see that you're real big on Bryan Singer being booted from the Superman franchise. That's at least a remote possibility since Superman Returns underperformed at the box office.
Just the opposite with FF.
FF exceeded opening weekend projections by over 10 million and it kept raking it in steadily over the next couple of months, despite the critical drubbing it took and the unfortunate fact that it fell short in several areas. Kids loved it, families loved it, it was a pot of gold for FOX both at the theater and on DVD.
Tim Story ain't goin' nowhere.
And unlike Singer, Story has acknowledged his film's shortcomings and is working to make a sequel that is a quantum leap improvement.
The die is cast. Give the guy a chance. The suits did a lot more to ruin FF1 than Tim Story.

Well if FF made money it must be good then huh! Dont even get me started, SR is a far better movie than FF and i am a big Marvel fan. Money doesnt count for **** in terms of quality. BIG BIG changes need to be made in this sequel if the same level of success is to be achieved, and do you think Fox will give Story THAT much freedom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"