Thing Costume Test Filmed - Details!

Retroman

Avenger
Reaction score
Found this bit that was posted on artist/designer (DIY tv) Dave Lowe's blog about a Thing costume that was filmed at their studios last week.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

That THING You Do!

kirbythinguh3.jpg

Last week at the studio while our DIY show filmed on stage one...stage two was filming Micheal Chiklis's costume test as the Thing for the upcoming sequel to the first Fantastic Four.

chiklisthingcj3.jpg

I admit, I geeked out a little...NO...alot. I grew up loving Marvel Comics. I was not a regular reader of the Fantastic Four comic but you can't help knowing everything about them as they would cross-over into my favorite monthly reads. I was a Hulk fan.

Hulk vs. Thing battles are legendary. Now that I think about it... Hulk was always getting picked on by some comic hero...poor Hulk. Dave hate puny heros that fight Hulk. Dave Smash!

The adult I am has slammed bad comic book movies of late. The kid in me forgives all, no matter how horrible, because I grew up wishing to see my favorite characters in a big hollywood movie.

I had to get pics of the parking signs posted early in the day.

mcparkinghp9.jpg

ffparkingwt2.jpg

Between 7 and 8 AM... lighting trucks and other semi's arrived with who knows what inside. Several "walkie talkie" wearing people floated here and there. There must of been 20 - 30 people running around. The money spent on crew, equipment, etc. for their "camera test" was probably our show's budget for a whole season. A special camera crew was there just to film "behind the scenes" stuff.

I went about my morning routine keeping an eye out as I knew Micheal Chiklis was in make-up and I might see him in person. I got a glimpse of his costume hands as an F/X guy carried them through the hall. I peaked in on their stage and saw a sculpted bust/maquette of the Thing's head in a dark corner.

The make up room was on the 2nd floor at the top of an exposed staircase close their stage which was across from our show stage. We shared a large common backstage hall. Rumor was the "behind the scenes" camera crew was planning to get a shot of him coming out in full make up walking down the stairs. Our show's prep area is in the common main hall. I was excited knowing the odds are good I would have a great seat for the big reveal.

Of course, as the big moment happened I was in the prop room at the end of the hall when I hear in a Thing like growl...

"Let's do this!"

I ran out of the prop room just in time to glimpse the blur of an orange rock encrusted head disappear behind a closing stage door!

I was surprised how really disappointed I was. I felt so stupid letting the kid in me take over hoping to see the THING!

An hour or so later I realized how old I was and shook it off.

About that time, it was very quiet in the common hall as both our show and the Thing crew had settled in on each stage. I was pouring myself a cup of coffee when the stage door behind me opened. I glanced over... my eye's did a Tex Avery cartoon...BE-YEW!

There was the Thing...glancing left and right looking for someone. CARPE DIEM! As he turned to go back inside, I took the opportunity to speak to this beloved comic character from my youth...

meandthethingfr6.jpg

... and he was gone. Every word is verbatim...It was a magic moment!

It's been awhile...but I don't remember the Thing in any comic wearing a t-shirt, boxer shorts and slippers. I really hope that was not the costume they where filming as a test because then the sequel will suck as bad as the first one.

I did waist some time after hanging around hoping he would come out again with camera phone at the ready. He never did.

thingdoorhy4.jpg

I did think Micheal Chiklis was perfect casting and great as the THING. He made the movie worth watching. The art director fan in me was disappointed his look was not the well known, hard edge browed and wide mouthed comic THING everyone knows.

thing1ez4.jpg

But the movie version did harken back to Jack Kirby's early comic book version, so I grew to like it.
Source: http://davelowe.blogspot.com/2006/08/that-thing-you-do_30.html

Continued....

chikthingkirbyvp1.jpg

Sewing demos on one stage...defeating evil villians on another...an "only in Hollywood" moment. Thought I'd capture it in a cartoon on the dry erase board for our crew...

thingcartooncb7.jpg

Although not as funny it did remind me of the time many years ago when working on HGTV's Simply Quilts when Playboy's Night Calls were filming on the other stage.

Life does not get more surreal seeing grey haired midwestern quilters mingling with ****ish looking lingerie wearing, plastic chest enhanced models backstage. That's another story....

posted by -Dave at Wednesday, August 30, 2006
Source: http://davelowe.blogspot.com/2006/08/that-thing-you-do_30.html

Cool find!:up:

He seems sort of vague on the details though. Sounds like it might not be very different from the first film.

Retro, is there any end to the wonders you produce man?

Willie, I got the same vibe you did; he kinda dances around the details. I would be shocked if Ben looks substantially different from the first movie. I mean, how would they explain a drastic change in appearance? Further mutation?

More details, dammit!! Can somebody ask him to elaborate or something?

Lightning Strikez! said:

Willie, I got the same vibe you did; he kinda dances around the details. I would be shocked if Ben looks substantially different from the first movie. I mean, how would they explain a drastic change in appearance? Further mutation?

Further mutation, yes. He's got to have some reason to hate being the Thing again.

I'm hoping Story wasn't yanking our chain about the improved brow.
Chikklis was in head make-up only for this "test" so perhaps it had something to do with how they're going to alter the makeup?

He might have been taking a break. The body suit might be easier to get on and off now.

:thing: :thing: :thing:

Man are we hungry for some news or what, we are getting excited at posters with words on it on a wall.

Hhahahahahhahahahahhahahah.

I love it, lets me know I'm alive and well and the anticipation for this film is building.

Now if they can just start getting the hype in gear as they are way behind Spiderman.

If anyone would truly believe that The Thing would be in shorts and a tshirt and that it would be in the movie needs to get his head checked

Psionic Force said:
If anyone would truly believe that The Thing would be in shorts and a tshirt and that it would be in the movie needs to get his head checked

i think there is a possibily we might see THING in a shirt and sneakers BUT not during action scenes ofcourse.

I think a TUXEDO is something i can see THING wearing at sue's wedding.

Psionic Force said:

I don't need my head checked, and could definately see it happening. Certainly as a comedy element in terms of plot. I could just hear him complaining about having to wear it for whatever reason.

Psionic Force said:

Look at the picture the guy drew.
Chiklis was just wearing the head.
That's what he was talking about.

Lightning Strikez! said:
I hope not.:hyper:

Malus said:
Look at the picture the guy drew.
Chiklis was just wearing the head.
That's what he was talking about.
My thoughts as well.

highguard said:
Man are we hungry for some news or what, we are getting excited at posters with words on it on the wall.

I'll take anything. :D Especially if it has to do with the Thing. We should have a seperate thread for all the pictures so we can have them all in 1 place. In fact I may create that thread.

Retroman,

Well done. Good post and well written. I can really appreciate what you had to say on many levels. The fan boy in you, the "okay, you're an adult-keep it in check" side, and the artist in the business. All of these aspects of you makes me tend to trust your opinion on your initial dissapointment at the supposed "new look" of the Thing.

I still think they can and should make the Thing look like the gaping mouth, hard brow Thing we all know and love (I know I'm beating a dead horse folks - I've gotta keep saying it though)

It still makes me laugh when I hear all the thought and minutia of detail that's gone into changing the Spidey costume each successive movie. When all they're really doing is getting closer to the comic book design they should have gone with originally.

I've always asserted that if they're going to go to the trouble of doing a live action FF movie then they should try to do a more literal translation rather than a re-interpretation.

Again, well done and perhaps you can give us all the first look scoop soon.

Lightning Strikez! said:

He went through Reed's machine both ways.

wow,the way he made it sound,the Thing's brow looked no different....

Yeah, sounds like more incompetent **** from Story and Fox. hooray, another FFINO movie, just what we all wanted. This next one is going to flop hard. I mean catwoman hard. Unfortunately it's not enough to bankrupt Fox and put them out of business.

GreenKToo said:
wow,the way he made it sound,the Thing's brow looked no different....

I'm not sure why you would infer that. He said: "I was so surprised, I did not notice details."

Agent 194 said:
Ah okay, I guess I didn't read it thoroughly. I did post that at four in the morning while nursing a new born.
No worries.:)
Agent 194 said:
At any rate, I still have big hopes for a further evolution of Thing's look.
Same here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"