SPOILER ALERT! Finally some insight on Doom in FF2!

Power has always been Doom's narcotic of choice. And he didn't stop at the Silver Surfer. He once stole the powers of a Watcher (Aron the Rogue Watcher that is) and some creature from space called "The Hunger" in FF#381, which lead to his "death" in FF#381. Also, in the imagined events in the mini-series tribute "The World's Greatest Comic Magazine", he even ended up stealing Galactus's powers by using various power objects like the Cosmic Cube and Annilihus's Power Rod. More recently, he downloaded the Franklin's reality engine that powered the Heroes Reborn planet and was able to bend reality to conform to his wishes.

You don't get the essence of it from the film, but having been raised in Latveria as part of the disenfranchised gypsy population, his tribe was always under the thumb of the ruling class. His thirst for power stems from that.

The impression i get of Julian is that he has no idea about fanboys and probably doesn't care so he gives his interviews in the same laid back humorous fashion as he would for any movie he was on and maybe didn't choose the right word to placate the fan hordes,i wouldn't read to much into it

Exactly...nothing more than that. Doom is probably one of the last of the "old school" villians, basically unchanged over the decades in the comics. Unlike Magneto who was given a revised origin that includes the Holocaust along with the echos to Malcolm X vs Martin Luther King in delineating his aims and methods as compared to Charles Xavier.

I don't think he really meant cartoony in the truest sense of the word. It's just McMahon being tongue in cheek. I also don't think he takes it very serious--probably because of the way his character was so thinly written in the first film.

I have a feeling Doom will just be more "bad" or "evil" in this film. I don't think we're going to get the regal, charismatic, genius dictator of Latveria we're all hoping for, or in other words MUA Doom. As someone else above said, it probably wouldn't fit in with the lighter tone Story has chosen for these films.

.....oh well, we'll see.

Didn't he call the role cartoony last time? if so, there's plenty to worry about:csad:

All I remember him saying about cartoony anything was the fact that he knew the character from the Saturday Morning Cartoon....I don't think he ever described the character as cartoony.....

Well, if he is transported to Latveria like the end of the movie showed, then there is no reason why he won't be the monarch of the kingdom even if it is briefly shown...it can fit into this film especially since Galactus is not going to be a main plot either...Doom's story could carry over into part 3 as well...some other villain plus a full blown assault by Doom's Latverian forces...

The Doom of the comics IS dark and cartoony.

I'm trusting Story on this though. He really knows his stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"