Nic Cage in 'Mandy'

Seen this at friends party, people expected it to suck, I actually found it pretty cool. This director need to do God of War live action.

Saw this on Friday in the theater (the crowd knew what they were in for) and I can't get it out of my head.

I know some people don't like how slow it moves in the first half, but I think it is quite beautiful in it's way of conveying how Mandy and Red live in their isolated little piece of the world together.

With the first half you see Red so subdued. Mandy has obviously had a rough upbringing and life, but she still sympathetic to passing animals and full of wonder. She seems to bring that much needed peace to Red. A man who hides clear liquor for emergencies deep within bathroom cabinets, has his weapons at a trusted friend's (possible fellow combat veteran with Bill Duke in his military field jacket) home, and has no problem with extreme substance abuse. Mandy isn't portrayed as too innocent for this world, but to Red she brings tranquility to a man who needed saving from himself.

As the film progresses and with what transpires and continues into the second half is everything Red was always capable of being. But even as he progresses on his quest his journey and abilities transcend to something else entirely.
I want to watch this again.

tumblr_pfm1mr2oct1qej1i6o1_1280.jpg

Do it. I actually feel I must rewatch this flick soon.

BTW, besides the full on Cage awesomeness in this totally Cage-y flick, am I the only one who thinks that Andrea Riseborough is a somewhat underrated actress? And that she should made it to more various fan cast lists than she does? Maybe she hasn't done enough to be recognized? Or maybe it's just me...?

Do it. I actually feel I must rewatch this flick soon.

BTW, besides the full on Cage awesomeness in this totally Cage-y flick, am I the only one who thinks that Andrea Riseborough is a somewhat underrated actress? And that she should made it to more various fan cast lists than she does? Maybe she hasn't done enough to be recognized? Or maybe it's just me...?
She's the real deal. She's so good, she vanishes into the role; she leaves no room for ego, it's all the part. She's truly chameleonic. Nic Cage sucks up all the air in the room when this movie comes up (for good reason), but he needs that perfectly vulnerable, understated performance that Riseborough provides to bounce off of. She's the grounding force of the movie. All of Nic Cage's net-less high wire acting, the huge tonal shifts, the overwhelming style: it's all meaningless without her performance rooting it all.

She's the real deal. She's so good, she vanishes into the role; she leaves no room for ego, it's all the part. She's truly chameleonic. Nic Cage sucks up all the air in the room when this movie comes up (for good reason), but he needs that perfectly vulnerable, understated performance that Riseborough provides to bounce off of. She's the grounding force of the movie. All of Nic Cage's net-less high wire acting, the huge tonal shifts, the overwhelming style: it's all meaningless without her performance rooting it all.
That's a beautiful and well thought description of what I kinda thought myself of her performance here.

Let's hope she'll still keep getting really good roles in the future.

recently watched this this movie was trippy as hell and one reviewer perfect described the visuals "Unearthly":cwink:

i just wish the characters were more developed there was literally nothing to any of the characters i felt mandy and red as characters needed to be developed more to truly feel the anguish of what happens to them but cage kicked major ass in 2nd half

I watched this last night. Starting at midnight to 2 am and it was a trip. It felt so very much an 80's movie, like it belonged in that era. It was Nic Cage being Nic Cage at his top level of Nic Cage. It started off kind of slow but it built up into a really entertaining movie. I liked it a lot more than I was expecting to.

Finally watched this. No real surprises to it, but I had a good time. Although, that’s not quite true, I was a little surprised there was so little Cage for the first half of the film. It’s almost like they were preparing you for the 100% unfiltered, high octane Cage you’d be getting in the second half.

But goddamn the music and the cinematography...

Finally watched this. No real surprises to it, but I had a good time. Although, that’s not quite true, I was a little surprised there was so little Cage for the first half of the film. It’s almost like they were preparing you for the 100% unfiltered, high octane Cage you’d be getting in the second half.

dat cosmic darkness.

tumblr_pqhf3qWkOO1vyvg1co3_540.gif

Yeah. Narratively speaking, it's pretty by-the-numbers and formulaic. Its style and execution is where the film makes its bones and impresses beyond belief.

Where does Cage go from here...... can he get back into mainstream movies, does he continue as or take what he can get

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"