• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Night Owl's costume better than Batman's

Did anyone else notice how Wilsons NO suit also completely hid his facial idenity better?

...with the goggles on, yes. When he took them off, I found it no different from the bat mask, although Bale did make it look more intimidating with his intense look.

Um...

Movie Nite Owl was mean and badass?

No.

Just no.

I think the guys who did the costume design for Batman begins and the Dark Knight, should take note of Night owl's costume. Not only did it look better than both Batman costumes, but it moved way better in the fight scenes. None of the Batman fight scenes looked convincing, because they looked way to stiff and slow. That's not the case with the Night Owl fight scenes.
hahahaha what a n00b.

:whatever:yes he's a noob for stating his opinion:whatever:

Better? Maybe
Obviously and completely better? Nah

It was pretty cool, though.

When I saw the Nite Owl costume when the pictures first broke, it made me laugh.

I didn't laugh when I saw the Batman Begins suit or the suit from The Dark Knight.

alot of people did laugh at the lightbulb headed batsuit

I'd say that the suits are about even. Both of them look pretty damn awesome.

Snyder was doing that on purpose. It was his commentary on the Batman films which seen to emphasis the suit instead of the man

That seems to be the explanation for EVERYTHING, wherever there's a deviation from the source material, Zack Snyder has a purpose behind it, no body seems to care anymore that they have changed something that worked just fine the way it was. Maybe Znyder was afraid that people wouldn't take the comics Nite Owl seriously, but hey, then he's not taking the original work seriously.

Um...

Movie Nite Owl was mean and badass?

No.

Just no.

Ok, I exaggerated a bit, but compared to the comicbook-version, he was. Are you gonna argue that?

But hey, I liked the movie, I gave it a 8/10 in my review, but when it comes to preserving the spirit of the characters, Batman is way better.

Zack has talked openly about his purpose for changing the costumes. He did so to juxtapose the Watchmen outfits with modern superhero movies. Because WATCHMEN is a movie, whereas the comic was a comic.

And you think he's what, lying about what he did?

Ok, I exaggerated a bit, but compared to the comicbook-version, he was. Are you gonna argue that?

You're asking me if he looks more bad-ass because he's a tool in armor than if he was a tool in spandex?

I guess that depends on if armor makes you look more badass. I don't think this armor does. I think he looks like a tool, period, in both versions. In a lot of ways the movie suit is even more pathetic than the book's, because he's clearly TRYING to look cool with all the overdesigned elements of his suit, but fails miserably to look either cool or intimidating.

That Nite-Owl winter coat was nice, but hilarious. Reminded me of a different version of an action figure, such as a Scuba ware Batman or something.

Zack has talked openly about his purpose for changing the costumes. He did so to juxtapose the Watchmen outfits with modern superhero movies. Because WATCHMEN is a movie, whereas the comic was a comic.

And you think he's what, lying about what he did?

You're asking me if he looks more bad-ass because he's a tool in armor than if he was a tool in spandex?

I guess that depends on if armor makes you look more badass. I don't think this armor does. I think he looks like a tool, period, in both versions. In a lot of ways the movie suit is even more pathetic than the book's, because he's clearly TRYING to look cool with all the overdesigned elements of his suit, but fails miserably to look either cool or intimidating.

I think we've seen two different movies then. Yes, of course I see that these are two different mediums and must be interpreted as such, but as soon as he put on that suit, 70% of what that character was to me from the comic vanished. I think there's a lot of humor and irony that's gotten lost in the translation from the comic, not that I'm saying it isn't there in some way, but it's much much harder to interpret. That first shot we see of Dan in the Nite Owl suit was clearly a "hero-shot", whereas it should be, but not in the same way. We should cheer for him because he actually went as far as to put on his old suit, not that he looks cool. Seeing that this is a debate about who has the better suit, Batman or Nite Owl is a testament to this as he shouldn't look cooler than Batman, he should look like someone who tries to look like Batman. To me he can be qualified as an equal, which he shouldn't be. By all means, it works just fine for the medium, I'm just saying it's a departure from the original character. Maybe we interpret the film in different ways, but then again it's all subjective I guess.

I think we've seen two different movies then. Yes, of course I see that these are two different mediums and must be interpreted as such, but as soon as he put on that suit, 70% of what that character was to me from the comic vanished.

Can you elaborate?

That first shot we see of Dan in the Nite Owl suit was clearly a "hero-shot", whereas it should be, but not in the same way. We should cheer for him because he actually went as far as to put on his old suit, not that he looks cool.

The hero shot is the moment where he becomes Nite Owl again. It needs to be there. There's a hero shot sequence in the comic as well. The movie actually presented the hero shot as less than the traditional hero shot, whereas the comic did not.

The hero shot is basically there not just for the moment of realization of his costumed persona again, but to set up the awe/humor of him just losing all pretense of stoicism when Silk Spectre comes down the stairs.

Seeing that this is a debate about who has the better suit, Batman or Nite Owl is a testament to this as he shouldn't look cooler than Batman, he should look like someone who tries to look like Batman. To me he can be qualified as an equal, which he shouldn't be. By all means, it works just fine for the medium, I'm just saying it's a departure from the original character. Maybe we interpret the film in different ways, but then again it's all subjective I guess.

It seems to be that more people are commenting on the flexibility and structure of the suit, and not so much that he looks "cooler" or better than Batman does.

Can you elaborate?

The hero shot is the moment where he becomes Nite Owl again. It needs to be there. There's a hero shot sequence in the comic as well. The movie actually presented the hero shot as less than the traditional hero shot, whereas the comic did not.

The hero shot is basically there not just for the moment of realization of his costumed persona again, but to set up the awe/humor of him just losing all pretense of stoicism when Silk Spectre comes down the stairs.

I don't know how much more I can elaborate other than that the movie gives me a different feel for Nite Owl than the comic does. But as I said, that's all subjective and I'm not complaining about the movie at all, I think they both work equally fine in their own mediums. If I'm complaining about anything, it's that changes have been made that they didn't have to do, but I'm fine and happy with what the movie has become and that we actually have a Watchmen movie to be proud of.

Can you elaborate?
It seems to be that more people are commenting on the flexibility and structure of the suit, and not so much that he looks "cooler" or better than Batman does.

True. What worries me, though, is that most people seem to think that Nolan should have had CGI-Hong Kong Wire-Ballet fighting in the Batman-movies. The thought makes me cringe.

True. What worries me, though, is that most people seem to think that Nolan should have had CGI-Hong Kong Wire-Ballet fighting in the Batman-movies. The thought makes me cringe.

I don't think that's the case. Most people just wish Nolan's fighting scenes were shot better, or that the Batsuit would allow as much movement as Nite-Owl's did.

I don't think that's the case. Most people just wish Nolan's fighting scenes were shot better, or that the Batsuit would allow as much movement as Nite-Owl's did.

or that you could actually see what Batman was doing.

the action in The Dark Knight was perfect IMO.

The fight scenes in TDK were an overall Improvement (pull the camera back, Chris). I think Zack and Chris Nolan would both benefit working on something together.

But hey, I liked the movie, I gave it a 8/10 in my review, but when it comes to preserving the spirit of the characters, Batman is way better.

I don't get this. You are complaining they changed NO's suit from spandex to armor and that they made it look more sophisticated and yet you go on to say Batman's suit does better to preserve the spirit of the character? When did Batman walked around in an over stylized motocross suit? This is what the TDK suit is. When I saw the scene where the copycat Batman asked what's the difference between he and Bats and what gave Bats the right and Bats replied "I'm not wearing Hokey pads" I wish the thug had replied, "No, you're wearing motocross ones". The suit in TDK was so far from what Batman represents its not even funny. Then you come in here and complains about NO's suit? Dude get out of your Bat-bias-bubble please.

the action in The Dark Knight was perfect IMO.

Oh, was there action in TDK? All I saw was a 18 wheeler flipping and some scenes with a bunch of guys confusingly passing in front of the lens.

Last edited:
Seriously. NO's costume is better because of the action sequences on it's own. We got to see him throw those spinkicks and really let loose. The TDK costume actually looks MORE flexible and the guy doesn't even throw a kick. He's stifly jerking his elbows about. When it comes to the visual medium it's less about what works in real life and more about what looks good on screen. Bruce Lee himself said that. He had to choreograph fights differently for his movies than they would play out in real life because he believed what a real fight looked like would bore people (it really is not as clean as movies make them out to be).

Kudos to Nolan for the effort he put into realism but realism does not equal entertainment. Nite-owl's fight scenes REALLY entertained me. The costumes are posted next to each other in this thread. Nite-owl looks like he's wearing molded armor like the old batsuits. How is it that the new, supposedly superfunctional, batsuit can't be used to pull off such spectacular feats? I mean Batman doesn't have to be fighting each opponent one by one or anything but damn, at least make it look good and not like a mobbing I have to force myself to enjoy.

Seriously. NO's costume is better because of the action sequences on it's own. We got to see him throw those spinkicks and really let loose. The TDK costume actually looks MORE flexible and the guy doesn't even throw a kick. He's stifly jerking his elbows about. When it comes to the visual medium it's less about what works in real life and more about what looks good on screen. Bruce Lee himself said that. He had to choreograph fights differently for his movies than they would play out in real life because he believed what a real fight looked like would bore people (it really is not as clean as movies make them out to be).

Kudos to Nolan for the effort he put into realism but realism does not equal entertainment. Nite-owl's fight scenes REALLY entertained me. The costumes are posted next to each other in this thread. Nite-owl looks like he's wearing molded armor like the old batsuits. How is it that the new, supposedly superfunctional, batsuit can't be used to pull off such spectacular feats? I mean Batman doesn't have to be fighting each opponent one by one or anything but damn, at least make it look good and not like a mobbing I have to force myself to enjoy.

I agree. I mean i dont know why but if you look at the pic of the two suits Bale doesnt look comfortable. Everytime I saw NO on screen I kept saying in the back of my mind this is how Batman should move and fight. I should walk out of a Batman movie and talk about how awesome it was when Batman punched that guy or kicked that guy.

I always wondered how long it would take people to admit batman fighting sucked.:woot:

I always said it even from BB days batman should move like a cat easily pulling himself up ladders and ledges Nolan should have employed a body double for those scenes preferably one of those freerunners who are amazing atheletes at traversing cityscapes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"