Nolan Near Deal to Direct The Prisoner

Everyman said:
He was known in the UK and that was it, really, and even he hesitated to play Number 6 because he thought people would identifie him with John Drake, which he didn't want to. Murphy is a bit young for the role I think, but he would make a good number in the village.

The thing is a movie has to appeal across the board not just to a select group of fans and therefore i expect it to be more Americanized than the TV show,for instance i expect it to be set in a small American town as opposed to a welsh village
With the actor i want Nolan to cast who he thinks can portray the character right not go out of his way to cast someone purely on the grounds that no one outside the UK knows who he is

hunter rider said:
The thing is a movie has to appeal across the board not just to a select group of fans and therefore i expect it to be more Americanized than the TV show,for instance i expect it to be set in a small American town as opposed to a welsh village
With the actor i want Nolan to cast who he thinks can portray the character right not go out of his way to cast someone purely on the grounds that no one outside the UK knows who he is

But a Prisoner movie, if it wants to be successful, has to keep the same integrity as the tv series. Americanizing it would bastardise it. They made the mistake with The Avengers and The Saint, I hope they won't make it again with The Prisoners, which is a far superior series to begin with, and has much more potential than the aforementionend tv series. I sure hope they keep Portmeirion as a setting!

Everyman said:
But a Prisoner movie, if it wants to be successful, has to keep the same integrity as the tv series. Americanizing it would bastardise it. They made the mistake with The Avengers and The Saint, I hope they won't make it again with The Prisoners, which is a far superior series to begin with, and has much more potential than the aforementionend tv series. I sure hope they keep Portmeirion as a setting!

I doubt they will.the movie will be aimed towards making money in the US

I think the point of making a Prisoner movie today would have to be adapt it to the current political climate, which has a feel of paranoia and danger to individual freedom comparable to the one in the sixties, only with different elements.

hunter rider said:
I doubt they will.the movie will be aimed towards making money in the US

Quality and profit aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Portmeirion is much more bizarre and evocative than any other city in the world (Italian influenced architecture in a Welch setting), they have to keep it.

ultimatefan said:
I think the point of making a Prisoner movie today would have to be adapt it to the current political climate, which has a feel of paranoia and danger to individual freedom comparable to the one in the sixties, only with different elements.

Agreed :up:

If they Americanized 'V for Vendetta', it probably would've had a bigger North American box office (it made under $75 million). Would the story be as good? Maybe, maybe not. But they're in the making money business and if there will already be two British television programs by the time the film comes out, they're probably atleast going to try an American Number Six and update the plot with the what is happening in global politics. It could be Hugh Jackman with an American accent.

slinger said:
If they Americanized 'V for Vendetta', it probably would've had a bigger North American box office (it made under $75 million). Would the story be as good? Maybe, maybe not. But they're in the making money business and if there will already be two British television programs by the time the film comes out, they're probably atleast going to try an American Number Six and update the plot with the what is happening in global politics. It could be Hugh Jackman with an American accent.

..In which case, they would sacrifice inventivity to greed. I am maybe naive, but I think maybe they should go with what made the series successful in the first place. To americanize it would be a big mistake, because it would denaturize the story. Look at Immortal and how rubbish and amateur the movie version was, and it was adapted by the writer of the graphic novel himself!

Everyman said:
..In which case, they would sacrifice inventivity to greed. I am maybe naive, but I think maybe they should go with what made the series successful in the first place. To americanize it would be a big mistake, because it would denaturize the story. Look at Immortal and how rubbish and amateur the movie version was, and it was adapted by the writer of the graphic novel himself!
It doesn't have to mean it's gonna hurt the series,the idea of the concept should be strong enough to move it to a small town in the US

I'm looking forward to this film. I thought Insomnia was underrated, and I'd like to see what he can do w/ this.

I'm not really one to fancy past tv-projects coming to the silver screen (MI-series, Miami Vice, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazzard, Charlie's Angels), but that seems to be the trend. If they're good, I guess it doesn't matter; most of the films usually aren't, but Nolan's one hell of a director, so Prisoner is already off to good start.

yeah saw this a long time ago, loved the show, glad Nolan's making it. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope he doesn't cast Christian Bale in the lead role again.

I love that episode of the simpsons that's inspired by the Prisoner. LOL!!!

Speakin of which....I was wondering what was taking them so long to do a film version

Sound cool to me and I'm a huge fan of the original show. I'm pretty sure that I've read that Nolan's uncle, or some sort of relation, had something to do with the original show. It great to see Nolan taking off like this. I've been a fan since The Following.

Where am I?

In the village...

What do you want?

We want information...

Whose side are you on?

That would be telling... We want information...

You won't get it!

By hook or by crook, we will...

Who are you?

The new Number Two...

Who is Number One?

You are Number Six...

I am not a number! I AM A FREE MAN!!!

-------------------------------------

Hadn't seen this in here yet, the thread's not complete without it...

Alpha and Omega said:
I'm looking forward to this film. I thought Insomnia was underrated, and I'd like to see what he can do w/ this.

I'm watching 'Insomnia' with Nolan's commentary this very moment. The man, simply put, is a cinematic genius.

hunter rider said:
It doesn't have to mean it's gonna hurt the series,the idea of the concept should be strong enough to move it to a small town in the US

But the idea of the concept should be strong enough to appeal to a wide audience if it keeps the cultural elements that made the series great in the first place. Portmeirion was not any kind of village when the series was filmed, and an American town will not be a suitable substitute. Simple as that. Cracker has been adapted into an American series and it was a joke. The Avengers was "hollywoodized" and it was a joke. La Foire aux Immortels (Immortal) changed its setting from Paris to New York and it was a joke. All were pale copies of the original.

Everyman said:
But the idea of the concept should be strong enough to appeal to a wide audience if it keeps the cultural elements that made the series great in the first place. Portmeirion was not any kind of village when the series was filmed, and an American town will not be a suitable substitute. Simple as that. Cracker has been adapted into an American series and it was a joke. The Avengers was "hollywoodized" and it was a joke. La Foire aux Immortels (Immortal) changed its setting from Paris to New York and it was a joke. All were pale copies of the original.

That has nothing to do with this,look at the people involved in this verison,it's high grade talent and the theme's of paranoia and menace and isolation are the key,i don't see why having a bunch of welsh villagers instead of American townsfolk will make the film any better or worse,it's all in the execution of the material
If they are just gonna make a straight copy of the TV show why bother

hunter rider said:
That has nothing to do with this,look at the people involved in this verison,it's high grade talent and the theme's of paranoia and menace and isolation are the key,i don't see why having a bunch of welsh villagers instead of American townsfolk will make the film any better or worse,it's all in the execution of the material
Exactly, it´s all about the talent involved and getting the essence of the material. Just as an example, American remakes of European thrillers all sucked till Nolan made Insomnia.

Lord Blackbolt said:
I love that episode of the simpsons that's inspired by the Prisoner. LOL!!!
What episode was that?

hunter rider said:

The thing is, it's not only the themes that made The Prisoner brilliant, it was the way they developed them and the way it was illustrated. The setting is part of the execution of the material you talk about, and it was part of what makes The Prisoner original. Portmeirion is the perfect illustration of what the Village is: a technologically futturistic dictatorial society set in a place that is ancient, having existed for God knows how long, with unique architecture that could be anywhere and nowhere, with the slightly anachronistic dressing code and way of living of it's inhabitants, etc. It's not about making it a straight copy of the earlier sourc,e it's about being faithful to the spirit of the source material. You wouldn't havea 1984 movie set in New York or Washington, for the same reasons.

Everyman said:
The thing is, it's not only the themes that made The Prisoner brilliant, it was the way they developed them and the way it was illustrated. The setting is part of the execution of the material you talk about, and it was part of what makes The Prisoner original. Portmeirion is the perfect illustration of what the Village is: a technologically futturistic dictatorial society set in a place that is ancient, having existed for God knows how long, with unique architecture that could be anywhere and nowhere, with the slightly anachronistic dressing code and way of living of it's inhabitants, etc. It's not about making it a straight copy of the earlier sourc,e it's about being faithful to the spirit of the source material. You wouldn't havea 1984 movie set in New York or Washington, for the same reasons.

But Nolan could easily recreate the architecture and and look with sets and tech in the US or even create a fresh vikkage with a new look but i can tell no matter what case i put you will stick to your beliefs and i to mine which is fine with me

Question do you actually think Nolan should shoot his movie in the same place as the old TV series

hunter rider said:
But Nolan could easily recreate the architecture and and look with sets and tech in the US or even create a fresh vikkage with a new look but i can tell no matter what case i put you will stick to your beliefs and i to mine which is fine with me

Question do you actually think Nolan should shoot his movie in the same place as the old TV series

Nolan could do it, or he could reuse Portmeirion, and implie, just like the series, that the distopia in place there might be very old (something more difficult to do if it is set in the US). The village is not supposed to be "fresh", it's supposed to be old, odd looking and anachronistic. This is also part of the way The Prisoner treated it's themes. This is not about what he can do, but what, IMO (or yours), he should do. I think the closer to the source material, the better. Michael Radford did this with 1984, and his adaptation was a success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"