The Dark Knight Nolan to direct "The Prisoner" after TDK

Sane Man

Civilian
Reaction score
Empire:

Speculation has been swirling for months about ITV making a new version of classic series The Prisoner. But there’s a new project on the starting grid – a movie based on the series, to be directed by The Prestige’s Chris Nolan.

Voted Most Confusing Plotting 1967, The Prisoner was dreamt up by writer/star Patrick McGoohan, who hatched the idea of a government spy who resigns, and who is then kidnapped and packed off to a bizarre island community known as The Village. Given the identity Number Six, he’s then probed for information as to why he decided to quit his job, all the while taking in the oddball behaviour of those around him. Existentialist telly at its most obscure, it only managed to stay on the screen for 17 episodes.

Now Nolan looks like the man to be bringing it to the masses, with Universal close to signing him up. He’ll be working from a script by David and Janet Peoples (who have experience with bizarre plots after writing 12 Monkeys) and – once the ink is dry on the contracts – will probably make this the film he shoots after Batman: The Dark Knight.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=19314

Groovy.

Awesome! You know who should star? Christian ****ing Bale

Hmmmmm, disappointing.

I'm not a fan of remakes and Nolan is much more creative than this (that said Insomnia was a remake, but his weakest film for me).

Still i'm sure it will be a good film.

The Prisoner was a TV series, though. That makes it more of an adaptation than a remake. IMO, at least.

Heh, and it's sorta funny you say Nolan's "much more creative" when you consider how Memento was written by his brother, and BB, obviously, had scores of comics to draw upon. :o

CConn said:
The Prisoner was a TV series, though. That makes it more of an adaptation than a remake. IMO, at least.

Heh, and it's sorta funny you say Nolan's "much more creative" when you consider how Memento was written by his brother, and BB, obviously, had scores of comics to draw upon. :o

True, he may adapt it but it is still in its essence a remake.

He created Following, he then adapted the short story his brother made (as far as I know Jonah did not write the script).

As for Begins, yes he did have the whole Bat history which he respected (Cough, Bryan Singer, cough) but the film was still injected with a host of creativity.

crap! this means no Batman movies filmed back to back???

:down: :(

Well i would like Nolan to do more orginal stuff like memento, the prisoner was an EXCELENT television show for all 17 episodes that it aired. Im already psyched for this, and yeah Christian bale all the way!

I think if there´s a point to adapt The Prisoner, would be to explore the concept in the current political nearly Orwellian climate.

boywonder13 said:

i guess we could take it that way. of course they didnt say when The Prisoner is supposed to shoot. anybody know what Nolan's calendar looks like for this year? if he's dedicating this whole year to Batman then we can expect that he will shoot it back to back then tackle The Prisoner.

of course if there's anything i observed from directors whose done back to back movies is that they usually take a hiatus after its done because it drains them so much.

boywonder13 said:

i guess we could take it that way. of course they didnt say when The Prisoner is supposed to shoot. anybody know what Nolan's calendar looks like for this year? if he's dedicating this whole year to Batman then we can expect that he will shoot it back to back then tackle The Prisoner.

of course if there's anything i observed from directors whose done back to back movies is that they usually take a hiatus after its done because it drains them so much.

It'll most likely be his 'interim' film, between BB2 and BB3. Similar to the Prestige - we can probably expect it to come out in 2009.

2005 - Batman Begins
2006 - The Prestige
2007 - (filming TDK)
2008 - The Dark Knight
2009 - The Prisoner
2010 - (filming BB3)
2011 - Batman 3

Cool, Nolan is great. Can't wait for The Prestige:batty:

What if...?

1998 FOLLOWING
2000 MEMENTO
2002 INSOMNIA
2005 BATMAN BEGINS
2006 THE PRESTIGE
2008 THE DARK KNIGHT
2010 THE PRISONER
2010 BATMAN 3 (40 years after Batman's own comic book series began)

fabman said:
What if...?

1998 FOLLOWING
2000 MEMENTO
2002 INSOMNIA
2005 BATMAN BEGINS
2008 THE DARK KNIGHT
2010 THE PRISONER

You missed out The Prestige, dude. Also I don't see Nolan directing both the Prisoner and Batman 3 in a year.

right... i was so "wowed" to write 2008 THE DARK KNIGHT to forget The Prestige... Filming The Dark Knight Jan. - Aug. 2007, Release The Dark Knight Jun. 2008, Filming The Prisoner Jul. - Nov. 2008, Filming Batman 3 Jan. - Aug. 2009...

V said:
Hmmmmm, disappointing.

I'm not a fan of remakes and Nolan is much more creative than this (that said Insomnia was a remake, but his weakest film for me).

Still i'm sure it will be a good film.

Insomnia?? weakest Nolan film?? no, I agree remakes are crap but Insomnia is good tho this is first time I saw Robin Williams play a serious role with Al Pacino in the mix as well.:up:

boywonder13 said:

:confused: :eek:

I thank God that Nolan isn't going to direct them back to back, it would ruin everything, because usually sequels, which were filmed back to back aren't so good like 1st movie was.

Two Face said:
Insomnia?? weakest Nolan film?? no, I agree remakes are crap but Insomnia is good tho this is first time I saw Robin Williams play a serious role with Al Pacino in the mix as well.:up:

Agreed. It was excellent movie :up:

Two Face said:

It's a good film, I just found it a bit disappointing coming off the back of Memento - But what film wouldn't?

I agree, Insomnia is a very good movie, yet the weakest of his big budget movies... I haven't seen Following yet...

fabman said:
What if...?

:confused: 40 years after Batman no. 1?

I doubt BB3 will be released in 2010, most likely in 2011.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"