Nuclear Complacency

STINGRAY

Civilian
Reaction score
Saudi Arabia`s Crown Prince has stated that "Without a doubt, Saudi Arabia will develop nuclear weapons to match Iran".

North Korea was bad enough, but now Nuke capabilities in The Middle East...?

I have this growing sense of unease over the certainty that sooner or later one of these 'Gotta-Get-Nukes!' nations is going to touch off a Nuclear war.

This will come out of a mix of inflexibility, immaturity, and worst of all; the gradual softening of attitudes towards what used to be 'Thinking The Unthinkable'; that Nuclear was is something that anyone can actually 'win'.

When the original 'A-Bomb's were detonated waaay back in 1945, the entire planet was shocked by the size of the explosions. They were in AWE of them, and afraid--justifiably so.
As time passed, and more Nukes went up in tests, that awe and fear continued...but over time, began to temper with .. acceptance and familiarity.

Now, i greatly fear that acceptance and fear have given way to that most dangerous of all human failings; COMPLACENCY. What used to be feared is now actively sought after as a 'must-have' addition to arsenals, and a Nuclear Sabre to be rattled all-too-quickly.

I am becoming ever-more concerned and near-certain that this general complacency can only result in death on a scale that humanity has never seen....
Death, not out of any valid reason for conflict, but out of hubris, as nations seem to have forgotten the horror of such mass destruction, the waste on such a grand scale. Entire nations are rolling towards aggressive nuclear posturing, supported by that most dangerous and fragile of supports; FALSE CONFIDENCE.

Waay back in 1983 (November 20th, my birthday, ironically) I watched the tv movie "The Day After".... Detailing the realities of the aftermath of a Nuclear Exchange....
It remains to this day, THE ONE movie that I have sworn never to watch again.

Now I see volatile leaders of nations proudly posturing about their Nuclear Weapon plans.....
Common Sense would have one believe that surely, no one would want to actively court their own destruction..

The trouble is; sense is not all that common these days.

You're never going to do away with them, once a technology exists it doesn't go away.

All you can really do is try to keep them solely in the hands of sane countries, prohibit them from the wackadoodle dictatorships.

I guess that being said, if Iran actually gets across the line, it goes without saying that the Saudis are going to want them. From their point of view, they probably should.

That's why we've gotta keep Iran from getting across the line. Middle East is cluster****-y enough without factoring in anyone there but Israel (and Egypt - who don't have them officially either, but honestly probably do) having the bomb.

You're never going to do away with them, once a technology exists it doesn't go away.

---That`s why I have my doubts about North Korea`s sudden disarmament epiphany...It goes against their history, and their nature. Korea as a whole is one of the most fought-over and conquered nations on the planet. the idea that, once they have a weapon, they would give it up is hard to buy into.

All you can really do is try to keep them solely in the hands of sane countries, prohibit them from the wackadoodle dictatorships.

---Which puts whomever enforces the concept of "prohibit(ing).. the wackadoodle dictatorships" from getting them squarely in the role of Global Cop..and possibly as an aggressor themselves...a dangerous place to have to live, internationally .

Bottom Line: No Easy Answers.

Regarding the global cop thing - it's worked out pretty well so far, as Stark'd say.

I agree. This is why when i watched Xmen-Days of apocalypse, i LOVED IT when he caused all nukes in the world to et launched into space!!

That's why we've gotta keep Iran from getting across the line. Middle East is cluster****-y enough without factoring in anyone there but Israel (and Egypt - who don't have them officially either, but honestly probably do) having the bomb.

I agree. I don't want ANY country in the mid east to have them. Not iran, not saudi.

I don't want ANY country in the mid east to have them. Not iran, not saudi.

Personally, I would prefer it if NO COUNTRY had them.
Funny....
Bad as it was, suddenly I have fond memories of "Superman IV: The Quest for Peace" :whatever:

Too late, as Israel has them.

Personally, I would prefer it if NO COUNTRY had them.
Funny....
Bad as it was, suddenly I have fond memories of "Superman IV: The Quest for Peace" :whatever:

I doubt though, we'd get every country that DOES currently have nukes to willingly give them up..

I doubt though, we'd get every country that DOES currently have nukes to willingly give them up..

--No...Not a chance of that.
Which is exactly my point with this topic...
Nations have become SO complacent about Nuclear weapons, so desirous of them as a deterrent and a none-too-subtle intimidation tool, that I very much fear that the only way any of them would 'give up' their Nukes is to fire them off, and be in turn, blown-up by the Nukes of others.

I think that on the whole, Humanity has lost the fear of these weapons, lost the grasp of the horror of them, much like a child who has never been burned might cluelessly reach for a flame.

It`s been 73 years since 129,000+ people were incinerated at Hiroshima and Nagasaki....
All the wrong people are not thinking about that horror anymore....Some even consider such a conflict..'win-able'

Last edited:
And that is why you fail... *Yoda voice*

Etc.

Kid...Hokey religions and ancient weapons of mass destruction are no replacement for a good Blaster at your side, y`know. :cwink:
* Han Solo voice*..(cynical & bored)

Kid...Hokey religions and ancient weapons of mass destruction are no replacement for a good Blaster at your side, y`know. :cwink:
* Han Solo voice*..(cynical & bored)

Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure (Hicks, Aliens!):cwink:

Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure (Hicks, Aliens!):cwink:

.....BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA ....!

Good one! :applaud

Uh......So long as it does not give anyone ...ideas....

Kim Jong-Un is not on this board,....right..:eek: ...?

.....BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA ....!

Good one! :applaud

Uh......So long as it does not give anyone ...ideas....

Kim Jong-Un is not on this board,....right..:eek: ...?

Na. BUT who knows. Putin might be!???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"