NX - Nintendo's Next Generation Hardware Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.
really hope the NX is BC with Wii U titles ( and all those Virtual Console titles ) because there are some Wii U games I'd like to play, along with the classic NES and SNES games through VC.

Same, but considering the WiiU's gamepad I have my doubts they will since it seems like it could be tricky.

Same, but considering the WiiU's gamepad I have my doubts they will since it seems like it could be tricky.

true. I forgot about the gamepad part. maybe the Wii U gamepad will also be BC with the NX?

I hope the Pro Controller and the Wiimote are BC. I love that Pro Controller so much, and I love my Wii-Super Famicon controller with my Wiimote.

It's possible, but very tricky, since a lot of people within that ecosystem has already gotten either a PS4 or Xbox One. Of course, the game is changing a lot with Neo/Scorpio, so the generation of console is going to be extended, I think, maybe even gone all together.

That is, assuming, that Nintendo is going to compete in that ecosystem. I've said before, and I really believe, that the NX will not be a traditional console/media hub in the same way the PS4 and Xbox One is. I have nothing solid to base this one, but I have that gut feeling based on how Nintendo has behaved lately. I think NX will be a much different thing than what Sony and MS are doing, so I'm not convinced they're aiming for the same audiences
I could only ever buy a console without multiplats as a secondary but I think Nintendo would benefit from doing something different to those 2. Let them compete over the same customer base while giving their fans a unique experience, as long it has wider appeal too.

It seems like Playstation might be the only classic console left as Microsoft seem to be moving towards full on ecosystem where Windows 10 will be the best place to play all their games and the relative success of any particular console is not that important.

Some, maybe. I just don't see Nintendo playing ball with EA's demands. I think Nintendo is still fairly friendly with Square Enix, Bandai Namco, Ubisoft, and Capcom. I just have a doubt that they can get back the Western third parties.
That's a good point. Can imagine how awkward a meeting of Nintendo and EA bigwigs together in a room might be. :woot: They really wouldn't get what the other guys were doing or understand each other's business philosophies at all.

There's a popular theory that MS is going to abandon the Xbox as gaming hardware and turn it into a game distribution marketplace like Steam or Origin and focus all attention on Windows.

really hope the NX is BC with Wii U titles ( and all those Virtual Console titles ) because there are some Wii U games I'd like to play, along with the classic NES and SNES games through VC.

this was put out to day on operation rainfalls site

nintendo-nx1.jpg

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In their most recent company earnings call, Paul Raines, the CEO of GameStop commented on how we can expect to play our games on the Nintendo NX.[/FONT]
Raines:
“I would say that the fact that there are rumors of that type just confirms for you that this is an important console for next year. It will have physical media, we will play a role in it, our pre-owned business will also play a role. So we’re excited about that.”
[FONT=&quot]Naturally, this is good for GameStop, seeing as how much of their business model is reliant on pre-owned physical games. While it’s not clear at this time whether the Nintendo NX will use cartridges or discs, Mike Mauler, GameStop’s EVP and President of GameStop International, spoke about the differences of each format.[/FONT]
Mauler:
“The only difference would be on the refurbishment and pre-owned side. And actually, cartridges are much simpler to refurbish and repackage. So there is somewhat a little bit of an advantage if it went in that direction on used.”
[FONT=&quot]In either case, physical media is beneficial for game collectors who like to display their goods on their shelves. It’s nice to know that Nintendo is keeping it around in some way for the NX.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SOURCE, 2[/FONT]
source: Operation Rainfall

There's a popular theory that MS is going to abandon the Xbox as gaming hardware and turn it into a game distribution marketplace like Steam or Origin and focus all attention on Windows.
As in you would still play games on the Xbox or not? I'm glad if they push on with Windows 10 and linking it with the Xbox ecosystem . I'd be all over it for single player games but I've avoided pc multiplayer in the past as I had the impression it was full of hackers.

Well, it's not actually speculation. Nintendo has said it'll be released March 2017, though a lot of people are expecting a delay.

As in you would still play games on the Xbox or not? I'm glad if they push on with Windows 10 and linking it with the Xbox ecosystem . I'd be all over it for single player games but I've avoided pc multiplayer in the past as I had the impression it was full of hackers.

You can still play your current Xbox games (and future Xbox games on future consoles hopefully), but they wouldn't be making a new console at all. You would play on a Windows 10 PC where you download the games from Microsoft and access Xbox Live with a purchase from their Xbox store which will probably replace the Games section in the Windows Store. But it's just a theory, a GAME theory if you will, gamer's have as they believe the game console is dying and PC, Mobile, Streaming Devices will take over. I'm sure Microsoft will still treat online multiplayer the same as they do currently on Xbox Live (it won't be as controlled), but I would believe they could weed out the hackers.

You can still play your current Xbox games (and future Xbox games on future consoles hopefully), but they wouldn't be making a new console at all. You would play on a Windows 10 PC where you download the games from Microsoft and access Xbox Live with a purchase from their Xbox store which will probably replace the Games section in the Windows Store. But it's just a theory, a GAME theory if you will, gamer's have as they believe the game console is dying and PC, Mobile, Streaming Devices will take over. I'm sure Microsoft will still treat online multiplayer the same as they do currently on Xbox Live (it won't be as controlled), but I would believe they could weed out the hackers.
So it would all lead to Windows 10 on pc with full Xbox live integration (competing with Steam). And as long as they can keep the hackers under control I'd love to be able to do everything on pc at top spec.

That's the theory.

So with the rumors of the NX using game carts like the ones used for the 3DS, I decided to look up gamers' opinions on the subject and I'm actually surprised by the split opinions on the matter. Even more shocking are the complacency some gamers have with the current implementation of DRM for PS4 and Xbox. In that they do not mind having to wait for the game that may take hours to download onto the hard drive instead of playing directly from the physical media. I thought that was supposed to be a feature that separated consoles from PCs, no installation or downloads required (except the occasional DLC).

So with the rumors of the NX using game carts like the ones used for the 3DS, I decided to look up gamers' opinions on the subject and I'm actually surprised by the split opinions on the matter. Even more shocking are the complacency some gamers have with the current implementation of DRM for PS4 and Xbox. In that they do not mind having to wait for the game that may take hours to download onto the hard drive instead of playing directly from the physical media. I thought that was supposed to be a feature that separated consoles from PCs, no installation or downloads required (except the occasional DLC).

that will happen with the NX as well

as for your last sentence, maybe 20 years ago. Gaming has evolved

Last edited:
Is it confirmed? That's one of the things I like about the Wii U.

If nothing's confirmed, then you assume it's going to adopt a similar method to the X1/PS4? Okay then. Just getting that straight.

Is it confirmed? That's one of the things I like about the Wii U.
yes it s part of the report I put up from operationh rain fall that's on this same page your speaking on. it was also sid by EPN.TV this is indeed from nintendo them selves

I didn't put this video article up cause I already had the article from "operation rainfall" up but vic did elaborate

[YT]l91ecRpJhXs[/YT]

• 2 days ago 1,978 views
EP Daily Rundown for June 24, 2016

We're uniting all the best entertainment new for you today starting with the latest on the Nintendo NX,
then we have some big disturbances in the Star Trek universe, hack into the latest on Mr Robot, take a look at the action-packed new Jason

It looks like Nintendo is blowing the dust off an old technology for their next console. New rumours about the upcoming system codenamed the NX have come in, and we’re usually apprehensive about reporting on NX rumours, but this one comes from Nintendo itself. NeoGAF users have spotted a recent trademark filed by Nintendo that claims the new Zelda game Breath of the Wild will be released on video game disks AND video game cartridges. Since the game is only coming to the Wii U and NX, and the Wii U uses disks, this seems to confirm rumours that the NX will use cartridges. This doesn’t seem that far fetched. Although cartridges have fallen out of style in recent years, Nintendo still uses them for the 3DS, and they were a staple of the company for all their consoles up until the GameCube. If the NX really does end up using some kind of modern cartridge, it remains to be seen if third-party developers will go along with them and make games for the system, given that cartridges present different technical issues than disks. The NX is slated to hit shelves early next year, so expect official details in the coming months.

source:
EPN.tv

Last edited:
I wasn't exactly asking that, but thanks. :hehe:

I wasn't exactly asking that, but thanks. :hehe:
yeah well sorry anyways. you were still on the download time vs the already completed content.

Anyway it'll be using both and cartridges& disk's .It's going to be interesting what this console if it is that will look like.

Last edited:
ok so I'm headed off to work but before I go I remeber inthe wii uthread when the former president of nintendo said that they'd have the nx console or platform play 3d's games as an alternative til they manage to get the third party developers back on the console side and this was via an article from siliconera.

now this may make it sound like this is gonna be a hybrid hand held and home concol.

But it may not be the case. it's just a way to play what you usualy play on the go when you get home put the cartige in and you play on your normal tv home console.

so this NX system / platform doesn't necessarily need to be both a hand held and home console hybrid. it could just be a home console still that you up load your hand held games to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"