Obscure Golden Age Heroes

I contacted the publisher because I had not the response for you. Now I have it. They'll launch a kickstarter campaign just after summer for the english version, available then.
It's quite cool actually because there are old and new art in it and the new story bring something fresh. I hope this helps.

Thank you Clarky! :up: I will definitely keep my eyes open for it. As I say, I'm into Project Superpowers, and I'm hoping to give Alan Moore's Tom Strong and Terra Obscura a go, as they use some of the same GA heroes as Project Superpowers and I'd like to see their (apparently very different) approach. At the moment I'm making my way through the original 1940s Black Terror comics (they're free and online).

Back on topic, I love how Dynamite happens to have crzay ideas or maybe just fanboys ideas and make it happen. :up:
Yes, I like their approach (insane team-ups!). I see them get criticised for publishing delays but that doesn't really effect me as I buy trades.

Last edited:
Thank you Clarky! :up: I will definitely keep my eyes open for it. As I say, I'm into Project Superpowers, and I'm hoping to give Alan Moore's Tom Strong and Terra Obscura a go, as they use some of the same GA heroes as Project Superpowers and I'd like to see their (apparently very different) approach. At the moment I'm making my way through the original 1940s Black Terror comics (they're free and online).

Yes, I like their approach (insane team-ups!). I see them get criticised for publishing delays but that doesn't really effect me as I buy trades.
Same here. I buy the trades. And you're welcome about the Centaur Chronicles.

images

Him and The Shadow are why I started buying Dynamite.

Back on topic, I love how Dynamite happens to have crzay ideas or maybe just fanboys ideas and make it happen. :up:

Thought you guys might be interested in this!
Dan Abnett to Crossover Project Superpowers, Red Sonja and Vampirella

Posted on July 12, 2020 | by Rich Johnston

Dynamite Entertainment unveils two action-packed, ambitious crossovers set to debut this fall and winter. First, legendary writer Dan Abnett (Guardians of the Galaxy) unveils the biggest Dynamite series since Swords of Sorrow. Two parallel series starring Red Sonja, Vampirella, and the Project Superpowers characters will converge into something even bigger!
While Declan Shalvey (Moon Knight) brings a deadly infection to all your favorites in DIE!namite!

:hmr:

I still wish Dynamite had gotten a hold of Conan it would be nice to see some Red Sonja crossovers with him. But then again I still wish he was over at Dark Horse too. I just don't like what Marvel has done with him.

Last edited:
@Calvin Ellis Have you read Dynamite's Masks? It features the Shadow, Black Terror, Green Lama, Zorro, Green Hornet & Kato, Miss Fury, and others. I read the trade of the first volume the other day. Looking forward to reading the second (looks interesting - 'an adventure across time'!).

I read the first one it was very good. I don't know why but for some reason I thought DC let them use Batman for a Noir style team-up comic a while back. But I think I might be mistaken.

I read the first one it was very good. I don't know why but for some reason I thought DC let them use Batman for a Noir style team-up comic a while back. But I think I might be mistaken.
There's definitely been a fairly recent DC/Dynamite Batman/Shadow team-up, maybe even two.

Just read Alter Ego # 1 - 4 (1986), and Alter Ego # 5 (2012), a little-known title, originally published by First Comics, then later by Heroic Publishing. Roy Thomas and Ron Harris (the creative team on the 1986 run) return 26 years later to give us a fifth issue!

It's a cool tale about a kid comic book fan who finds a mystical mask. When he puts it on he's instantly transformed into a superhero named Alter Ego, and somehow transported to a parallel Earth where it's the 1940s and the Golden Age heroes are still waging their own war against Germany and Japan.

Several actual Golden Age heroes appear. Visually, they're identical to when they were originally published, but they've been given slightly different names (maybe they weren't fully in the public domain in 1986?); the Black Terror and Tim become the Holy Terror and Tommy, the Fighting Yank becomes Yankee Doodle, Cat-Man and Kitten become Cat-Eye and Kitten, Daredevil (whose name was changed to Death Defying 'Devil - for obvious reasons - in Dynamite's Project Superpowers) becomes Double-Dare, and the jungle-based heroine Camilla becomes Camille, the Jungle Queen).

In the fifth issue Alter Ego finds himself transported to a different, grim and gritty world (patterned after the crime comics that became popular after WWII). Here the heroes he fought alongside in those earlier issues are nowhere near as powerful, and many have been killed-off (there's a moving scene where he visits a cemetery and looks at the graves/monuments of his former comrades).

Thomas writes in the innocent style of the Golden Age (reinforced by Harris' spot-on artwork) - which juxtaposes nicely with the events, which are more in keeping with today's more violent comics.

7.5/10

Maybe in 26 years time we'll get a #6!

Last edited:
About Centaur Chronicles revival, I'd like to point out that the campaign for the 4th volume, in french, is currently going if some of you are interested. On ulule.

Back on Topic, there's also a great story with Batman, the Spirit & Doc Savage branded "First Wave" which is very cool. Drawn by R.Morales and written by B. Azzarello.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"