Official 2010 MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
isn't Manager of the Year supposed to be about the regular season??

Yes.

AL MVP vote will be interesting. Will they award the MVP to someone who's been injured (Josh Hamilton) or to someone who's team did not go to the playoffs (Miguel Cabrera, Jose Batista)?

Exactly. The Marlins can make something LOOK quiet.
JROz943b.jpg

That ****ing stadium is ridiculously huge for baseball. And painful.

Hey they got another one right....

Felix Hernandez wins AL Cy Young

NEW YORK -- Felix Hernandez has been chosen the AL Cy Young Award winner.

The Seattle Mariners ace won by an easy margin in results released Thursday by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

King Felix went just 13-12, but was a victim of poor run support all season. He led the majors with a 2.27 ERA, topped the AL in innings and was second in strikeouts.

The 24-year-old righty from Venezuela drew 21 of the 28 first-place votes. Tampa Bay's David Price got four first-place votes after going 19-6 with a 2.72 ERA. CC Sabathia, who led the league with 21 wins for the Yankees, drew the other three first-place votes and finished third.

The 13 wins by Hernandez marked the fewest for a Cy Young starter in a full season.

Astros, Rockies Swap Paulino & Barmes
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 18 at 12:29pm CST]

The Astros acquired Clint Barmes from the Rockies for Felipe Paulino, according to the team. GM Ed Wade says he pursued Barmes for his defensive versatility and gap power. The Rockies, who were not necessarily going to offer Barmes arbitration, get something in return for the 31-year-old.

Barmes was a non-tender candidate heading into his final season of arbitration eligibility. After hitting 23 homers in 2009, he hit just 8 homers this year and his batting line fell to .235/.305/.351. Barmes earned $3.33MM in 2010 and figures to pocket $4MM or so in 2011.

Paulino, 27, posted a 5.11 ERA with 8.1 K/9 and 4.5 BB/9 in 91 2/3 innings for the Astros this year. He'll be arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason (as a Super Two). In each of the past three seasons, his average fastball velocity has surpassed 95 mph. Paulino struggles against lefties, but is considerably more effective against right-handed hitters.

They probably won't get either because it requires spending money.

Get back to me if they ever do anything.

Good for Felix and the writers who voted for him. Sabathia finishing third was probably still too high.

Well, it's not like Towers made that Haren deal. Jerry DiPoto freaked out cause he was on a deadline and made the deal that contained the most players, regardless of talent.
:doh:

They probably won't get either because it requires spending money.

Marlins got John Buck for 3 year 18 mil FA pick up. He is the new starter catcher. Marlins almost signed Pavono last off season I read. Loria ain't done wheeling. He said the Uggla money will go towards a starter. He has already improved bull pen. Marlins will lose power, but try for defense and pitching to win. Marlins blew 27 saves last year.

Uh, the money from Uggla went to the fairly ridiculous Buck contract. They won't be the high bidder for either.

Also, the improvements to the bullpen are to varying degrees. Dunn and Webb have potential but both walk way too many batters. Richardson is filler, and Mujica pitched at a way higher level than ever before. Sure, it's an improvement, but middle relievers are the least reliable players from year to year.

Last edited:
When you say Webb I thought of Brandon.

I looked at his BB-Ref yesterday for nostalgia. Those were the days Webby:csad:

Won't happen until 2012. Plenty of problems either way you implement it.

Oh sure, expand playoffs for no reason (it isn't really needed) but don't expand replay :cmad:

Of course they are. More players make the playoffs = more postseason shares for players.

Source: Mets pick Terry Collins

NEW YORK -- Eleven years after he last served as a major league manager, Terry Collins again holds that title.

The New York Mets have selected the 61-year-old Collins as the 20th manager in franchise history, according to a team source.

Collins served as the organization's minor league field coordinator this past season. He previously managed the Houston Astros from 1994 to 1996 and the then-Anaheim Angels from 1997 to 1999, compiling a 444-434 record.

He emerged from a field of 10 managerial candidates, including fellow finalists Wally Backman, Chip Hale and Bob Melvin.

Collins most recently managed the Orix Buffaloes in Japan in 2007 and 2008, then China's entry in the World Baseball Classic last year.

He had appeared in line to succeed Jim Tracy as Los Angeles Dodgers manager five years ago, but that unraveled when Paul DePodesta was pushed out as general manager during the managerial interview process. DePodesta recently joined general manager Sandy Alderson's staff with the Mets as vice president of player development and amateur scouting.

"I was the minor league director and the field coordinator over there," Collins recalled last week. "I knew the young players, and they were starting to go young. So I thought I had a real good chance there. Certainly when Paul got let go, I was probably as disappointed as anybody."

Collins had been one of three finalists the last time the Mets cast a wide search for a manager. Instead, Willie Randolph was hired by then-general manager Omar Minaya to lead the team into the 2005 season and beyond. Then-Texas Rangers hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo was the other finalist.

DePodesta recently heaped praise on Collins, calling him an "absolute star in player development," and suggesting Collins' experience in Houston and Anaheim would be an asset in his third stint as a major league manager.

"I think any of us who have been in these jobs in various organizations learn a lot every step of the way," DePodesta said. "I've been through four organizations now. I'm hopeful some of the things I've been exposed to over that time will be helpful to the Mets, and I think the same could be said for Terry. He's been a major league manager a couple of different times. You learn an awful lot from that. He's been in the Far East. I think, again, he's had a lot of success in player development. So I think there are a lot of things about his experiences that are worthwhile. Everyone likes different personalities. I really like Terry's intensity. I think he's a tremendous organizational guy."

Collins inherits a team that has suffered consecutive losing seasons, including a 79-83 record in 2010, in Jerry Manuel's final season as skipper.

With roughly $130 million committed to payroll for next season before any offseason acquisitions, and with ace left-hander Johan Santana not expected to be ready for the start of the season while recovering from shoulder surgery, Alderson and Collins may face a two-year process in rebuilding the team to contention.

Collins, meanwhile, last week praised the other finalists, all of whom may have roles in the organization next season.

"Chip Hale played for me. I think the world of Chip," Collins said. "Bob Melvin has been very, very successful. And I think Wally Backman proved this year that he's -- if not this year -- going to be a very, very, very good major league manager."

Adam Rubin covers the Mets for ESPNNewYork.com.

June 26, 2012.

What is "What day was Terry Collins fired?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back