Official: Authors of the HYPE! Boards (aka "The New Inklings")

Dark Sentinel

Superhero
Reaction score
So since I debuted the Official MAVONDURI Trilogy Thread way back when, I've seen a few other authors emerge on the Hype!, most prominently Marlsbeth author HULKFish, and the H.E.R.O. series by kevinrau.

Now, I know that Prince Nizam has already started a thread for writers, but this thread is SPECIFICALLY for those writers who have already published their work, be it a self-published ebook or published by a major publishing house. And if you're a serious author who has yet to emerge onto the scene, it's a group we can get advice from, and share our work with with, ala "The Inklings".

This is a thread for those of us who want other writers to talk to, whether it's a debate about character development, exchanging ideas, inspirations, or critiques of other Hype! authors' works.

Be sure to post links to your works and I'll post them on this 1st page so they'll be easy to find.

Welcome to The New Inklings.

Last edited:
I'm curious about the e-book medium, how many people have read/bought your work in e-book form?
Just don't say you're 'Bigger than Jesus', remember what happened with the Beatles, haha.

I'm curious about the e-book medium, how many people have read/bought your work in e-book form?
Just don't say you're 'Bigger than Jesus', remember what happened with the Beatles, haha.

The cool thing about ebooks is that it's not about HOW much you sell (although it would help if I was a bestseller :cwink:) but WHERE you're selling it..I must've sold at least a hundred books in the UK and Australia, which is crazy to think about. I've sold books on THREE CONTINENTS :awesome:

And yes, I WILL say I'm bigger than Jesus...

's second cousin twice removed on his father's side

Ok, I was curious how many people went for the e-book format, how they find out about your book etc...

I guess you are just joking about there, because it doesn't matter where you sell your work, unless you can't afford to travel abroad and get a proxy kick of 'travelling' around if folk download your writing.
Of course every artist wants to reach the widest audience possible, even if they are some kind of no sell out punk, they still want to sell their no sell out message to as many people as possible.
I have no idea what the e-book market is like, are there such things as big sellers in that format, or is it still more of a niche medium?

Is there any chance any of you guys would be willing to post up some extracts from your books? Maybe the opening chapter or something?
It would be intersting for us aspiring plebs to see what you are publishing, and y'know, you might get someone on the boards interested in buying your book online if they like it.

Last edited:
There are, actually. Ebooks are a growing format and they're allowing for the "indie" author to showcase his work. But the medium is still more or less in its infancy.

Congrats to HULKFish on Marlsbeth 2.0!! Follow him on Twitter @marlsbeth, I know I will!

I'm still working to get past the querying stage myself. I can't even get agents to ask for a partial read or anything of that nature. Maybe I just suck at writing query letters. Congrats to those of you who have been published though. It's a dream of mine so hopefully one day I'll be able to post in this thread as a member and not just a spectator. :)

You can always self-publish on Amazon or Barnes & Noble..yeah, it's just as an ebook but it's still "published" :up:

If nothing gets picked up then I might consider that. I'd love to get published the traditional way but I'm more interested in just getting it in other people's hands. I'll have to look into the whole ebook thing though since I've never really messed with it.

If nothing gets picked up then I might consider that. I'd love to get published the traditional way but I'm more interested in just getting it in other people's hands. I'll have to look into the whole ebook thing though since I've never really messed with it.

Agreed, the ultimate goal should always be to get published in print. But ebooking is really easy, and you still get paid for it. And it gets into people's hands which is still a thrill :awesome:

How do you go about ebooking? Does it cost you to do it initially or anything of that nature? I have zero knowledge about it.

How do you go about ebooking? Does it cost you to do it initially or anything of that nature? I have zero knowledge about it.

No, neither PubIt! (Barnes & Noble) or Amazon charge you. But they do take a percentage of each book you sell. You get paid via direct deposit so you do have to give them your account number (unless, of course, you don't WANT to get paid :whatever: haha)

Smashwords is also another good self-publishing site. You can publish on various formats, and even get an ISBN number for your book.

The key is to find a self publishing site with good reviews. Self publishing is ALSO self-promotion man!

Last edited:
No, neither PubIt! (Barnes & Noble) or Amazon charge you. But they do take a percentage of each book you sell. You get paid via direct deposit so you do have to give them your account number (unless, of course, you don't WANT to get paid :whatever: haha)

Smashwords is also another good self-publishing site. You can publish on various formats, and even get an ISBN number for your book.

The key is to find a self publishing site with good reviews. Self publishing is ALSO self-promotion man!

Yeah, that'd be a big bonus. If I can't get an agent to look at my writings then I could start building my own fanbase through ebooks. I have two finished, though one I've looked back over it and am very unhappy with it. I'm still a growing writer (aren't we all I suppose) and I can definately see that I've grown since finishing that one. I'm reworking it at the moment.

My problem is that the majority of my book ideas (including the two I have finished) are different genres. Most agents don't like that because it's a hard sale to a publisher if you aren't consistant. Well, that's just one problem anyhow. I'm still trying to figure out what I like to write.

Yeah, that'd be a big bonus. If I can't get an agent to look at my writings then I could start building my own fanbase through ebooks. I have two finished, though one I've looked back over it and am very unhappy with it. I'm still a growing writer (aren't we all I suppose) and I can definately see that I've grown since finishing that one. I'm reworking it at the moment.

My problem is that the majority of my book ideas (including the two I have finished) are different genres. Most agents don't like that because it's a hard sale to a publisher if you aren't consistant. Well, that's just one problem anyhow. I'm still trying to figure out what I like to write.

Well you definitely have to establish yourself first. Pick a genre you can really sink your teeth into and just go for it. I think I've said this before, but I'm also working on a Revised & Expanded Edition of my first book, which I plan on releasing before I release the sequel

I guess you're just joking about it because it does not matter how you sell your work, unless you can not afford to travel abroad and get a proxy to kick "travel" if the people around to pick up your writing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not following DM..but the cool thing about ebooks for SELF-PUBLISHED authors is that they can sell copies worldwide. That's all I was saying

I'm not following DM..but the cool thing about ebooks for SELF-PUBLISHED authors is that they can sell copies worldwide. That's all I was saying

That was just a spambot copying and pasting something I said, a moderator has apparently removed whatever they were spamming.

I have to say I am disapointed that none of you have posted up any excerpts from your work, if you are into 'self promotion', as you say( all small press writers should be), then surely it would be beneficial. I was looking forward to reading some of your work.

edit: I mean, do some writers do this for their e-books? Post up a chapter or what have you, so readers can decide whether they want to read more? Because surely that would be a good idea, the equivalent of someone picking up a book in a store and giving it a quick read over.

If and when I do the ebook thing I will likely do that, but while I'm still trying to get it picked up by agents I'm holding off :)

That was just a spambot copying and pasting something I said, a moderator has apparently removed whatever they were spamming.

I have to say I am disapointed that none of you have posted up any excerpts from your work, if you are into 'self promotion', as you say( all small press writers should be), then surely it would be beneficial. I was looking forward to reading some of your work.

edit: I mean, do some writers do this for their e-books? Post up a chapter or what have you, so readers can decide whether they want to read more? Because surely that would be a good idea, the equivalent of someone picking up a book in a store and giving it a quick read over.

Replying specifically to this, Bum.

I do want the authors in this thread to post excerpts, of course! As for me personally, I've done enough of that in my own book's thread so I want to give other people the opportunity

So since I debuted the Official MAVONDURI Trilogy Thread way back when, I've seen a few other authors emerge on the Hype!, most prominently Marlsbeth author HULKFish, and the H.E.R.O. series by kevinrau.

Now, I know that Prince Nizam has already started a thread for writers, but this thread is SPECIFICALLY for those writers who have already published their work, be it a self-published ebook or published by a major publishing house. And if you're a serious author who has yet to emerge onto the scene, it's a group we can get advice from, and share our work with with, ala "The Inklings".

This is a thread for those of us who want other writers to talk to, whether it's a debate about character development, exchanging ideas, inspirations, or critiques of other Hype! authors' works.

Be sure to post links to your works and I'll post them on this 1st page so they'll be easy to find.

Welcome to The New Inklings.

Sorry, I do apologize for not recognizing this thread sooner... I've been so busy with planning my first book signing and PR that I can't always see what's right under my nose! :) I do appreciate the mention and I will try to be as active as possible!

My signature has the link to the Marlsbeth website, as well as my thread!

Good luck to you all!

So I think I've decided to go the e-book route. I'll finish the edits of my newest book within the next week or two and then I want to seriously start looking into it.

My plan is to put up my Romance/Literary Fiction novel first since it's ready to go. Then wait a little while and put up my Children's Fantasy (which I just finished) a few months after that. While those are going I want to do a major re-edit of my first book, a Young Adult Fantasy, and then put that up when I'm finished. Then once those are up I'll see what people think. I could write a sequel to either the Children's Fantasy novel or the Young Adult Fantasy and if I can get enough readership to demand one of those then I'll go that route or I could just go with one of my other ideas that I have on tap.

That's the plan anyhow. I've been talking with an online friend who's gotten into self publishing through e-books and she's given me a couple links to look into. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I can read to study it, or suggestions of which e-book sites to use? Can I use multiple?

So I think I've decided to go the e-book route. I'll finish the edits of my newest book within the next week or two and then I want to seriously start looking into it.

My plan is to put up my Romance/Literary Fiction novel first since it's ready to go. Then wait a little while and put up my Children's Fantasy (which I just finished) a few months after that. While those are going I want to do a major re-edit of my first book, a Young Adult Fantasy, and then put that up when I'm finished. Then once those are up I'll see what people think. I could write a sequel to either the Children's Fantasy novel or the Young Adult Fantasy and if I can get enough readership to demand one of those then I'll go that route or I could just go with one of my other ideas that I have on tap.

That's the plan anyhow. I've been talking with an online friend who's gotten into self publishing through e-books and she's given me a couple links to look into. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I can read to study it, or suggestions of which e-book sites to use? Can I use multiple?

Excellent plan JewishHobbit!! Yes you can use multiple sites. I myself published my book with the three big ones: Amazon, Barnes & Noble (PubIt) and Smashwords.com. All three are great sites and the customers actually take the time to review what they buy. Hope that helps and good luck!!:up:

Hey guys, to all Hype! Authors who have a twitter (and use it fairly often), I have a favor to ask of you. January 3rd is my debut novel MATHION's first anniversary on the Nook, where it made its premiere. So I'm trying to attract new readers to prep for book 2's release and I think this'd be a great way to go for it. I'm more than happy to assist you in getting word about your work out in return!

Thanks Hype! Authors! Glad to see so many authors on SHH! Let's make this thread great!

I actually have an update for you on Book 2's progress and some of the places I've found myself stuck creatively and narratively. Looking forward to your feedback!

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas (yeah I said it :argh:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"