Official: Authors of the HYPE! Boards (aka "The New Inklings")

Cool stuff guys! When Marlsbeth goes digital I hope to have rights on my own, but I need to browse back through my contract.

I don't do too much with twitter, but I'll give a shoutout! :)

Gearing up for my book-signing on Saturday... At a renaissance festival in central FL! Should be a lot of fun!

Here is the art blog for the artist who did the renderings for Marlsbeth, featuring characters from the book! Her other stunning work can be found as well.

http://isissousa2d.blogspot.com/

Cool stuff guys! When Marlsbeth goes digital I hope to have rights on my own, but I need to browse back through my contract.

I don't do too much with twitter, but I'll give a shoutout! :)

Gearing up for my book-signing on Saturday... At a renaissance festival in central FL! Should be a lot of fun!

Here is the art blog for the artist who did the renderings for Marlsbeth, featuring characters from the book! Her other stunning work can be found as well.

http://isissousa2d.blogspot.com/

Good luck on the signing!

Hey guys, to all Hype! Authors who have a twitter (and use it fairly often), I have a favor to ask of you. January 3rd is my debut novel MATHION's first anniversary on the Nook, where it made its premiere. So I'm trying to attract new readers to prep for book 2's release and I think this'd be a great way to go for it. I'm more than happy to assist you in getting word about your work out in return!

Thanks Hype! Authors! Glad to see so many authors on SHH! Let's make this thread great!

I actually have an update for you on Book 2's progress and some of the places I've found myself stuck creatively and narratively. Looking forward to your feedback!

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas (yeah I said it :argh:)

I just stumbled on this now, so I'm afraid I missed it, but I'll try to check back more regularly and Tweet if you have something going on. I'm still fumbling around with Twitter, but I've got about 1600 followers, so that's something.

I could not have scripted the signing better! Check my Marlsbeth is Reborn thread or visit the Marlsbeth facebook page for details, updates and whatnot...

Good luck on the signing!

I just stumbled on this now, so I'm afraid I missed it, but I'll try to check back more regularly and Tweet if you have something going on. I'm still fumbling around with Twitter, but I've got about 1600 followers, so that's something.

You lucky bugger! :applaud

Send some of them my way @Mavonduri

You lucky bugger! :applaud

Send some of them my way @Mavonduri

I found you and I'm following. If you go down my list ( @GaryHoover1 ) and follow some of the people who are following me, many of them will follow you back.

I found you and I'm following. If you go down my list ( @GaryHoover1 ) and follow some of the people who are following me, many of them will follow you back.

Following you, thanks man! :up:

In other news, I've finally decided to take some initiative and go right to the source in contacting publishers directly. This morning alone I've been on the phone with Hyperion, Bantam/Dell and Random House. Here's hoping for a bite!

Good luck guys! I'll add myself into the twitter convo... Just starting to use it a little. :)

Hey guys, need help with a query letter, anyone care to critique? Here it is:

For the uninitiated,

Power will be redefined forever.

Mathion is the heir to the throne of Ánovén, but his story is already legend among his people. At the age of seven years old he encountered a dying White Wolf, and received two gifts that would change everything. Now with a White Wolf at his side and a powerful artifact in his possession, he learns that the eastern city of Kihar is threatened by an advancing army of werewolves.*

Mathion gathers together a small but diverse band of warriors,*consisting of both friends and family,*to aid Kihar in any way they can. In the ensuing battle, one of his compatriots is captured, and Mathion decides to undertake the impossible: infiltrate Ak'horokaš, the black stronghold of the demonic werewolf Lord Azgharáth, and rescue his friend.*The choices made here will set in motion events that will hurtle these peoples toward a final confrontation, and force this young man to face a destiny he never knew he had, bringing him to a personal duel with Azgharáth for the fate of the Wolfstones. They will change not only everyone's lives forever, but the course of history itself.

MATHION: BOOK ONE OF THE MAVONDURI TRILOGY*is a traditional epic quest fantasy story, appropriate for readers of all ages but aimed at late middle school to early college students, roughly 350-400 pages in length not including the Appendices.*

In addition,*MATHION*offers readers a refreshing take on the werewolf legend, giving them a scope and history that will enthrall readers of both fantasy and horror alike. These creatures are indeed monstrous, and to put them in a fantasy setting with epic battles fought throughout the pages of the story adds depth to their character and breathes new life into the high fantasy genre as a whole. The time and effort put into the world behind the story allows suspension of disbelief to give way to genuine belief not only in the world, but the story and most importantly the characters within it.*

Thank you for your time, if you have any further inquiries please contact me at email [email protected]*or by phone at*(***)***-****. I look forward to hearing from you.*

Sincerely,
Jeff Shanley

Hey guys, need help with a query letter, anyone care to critique? Here it is:

For the uninitiated,

Power will be redefined forever.

Mathion is the heir to the throne of Ánovén, but his story is already legend among his people. At the age of seven years old he encountered a dying White Wolf, and received two gifts that would change everything. Now with a White Wolf at his side and a powerful artifact in his possession, he learns that the eastern city of Kihar is threatened by an advancing army of werewolves.*

Mathion gathers together a small but diverse band of warriors,*consisting of both friends and family,*to aid Kihar in any way they can. In the ensuing battle, one of his compatriots is captured, and Mathion decides to undertake the impossible: infiltrate Ak'horokaš, the black stronghold of the demonic werewolf Lord Azgharáth, and rescue his friend.*The choices made here will set in motion events that will hurtle these peoples toward a final confrontation, and force this young man to face a destiny he never knew he had, bringing him to a personal duel with Azgharáth for the fate of the Wolfstones. They will change not only everyone's lives forever, but the course of history itself.

MATHION: BOOK ONE OF THE MAVONDURI TRILOGY*is a traditional epic quest fantasy story, appropriate for readers of all ages but aimed at late middle school to early college students, roughly 350-400 pages in length not including the Appendices.*

In addition,*MATHION*offers readers a refreshing take on the werewolf legend, giving them a scope and history that will enthrall readers of both fantasy and horror alike. These creatures are indeed monstrous, and to put them in a fantasy setting with epic battles fought throughout the pages of the story adds depth to their character and breathes new life into the high fantasy genre as a whole. The time and effort put into the world behind the story allows suspension of disbelief to give way to genuine belief not only in the world, but the story and most importantly the characters within it.*

Thank you for your time, if you have any further inquiries please contact me at email [email protected]*or by phone at*(***)***-****. I look forward to hearing from you.*

Sincerely,
Jeff Shanley

Looks good. I think the blurb is intriguing and you've done a good job of descrbing the work and target audience.

I would personally go with a more traditional opening and include a little more information about yourself, your background and your ability not only to write but to promote your work.

But how well this approach or a more standard approach will work may depend on whose desk it crosses. You may get someone's attention with this (but you'll probably turn off some more traditional folks).

Also, make sure you check the submission guidelines carefully. It seems that everyone has very specific and unique guidelines (I think that's designed to prevent people from sending form submissions), so you'll be revising things for each submission.

I've highlighted a couple sentences in red. I think both these sentences are a little long and cumbersome. And in the second one you say: "and to put them". I think it would be better to say "and setting them" or some other variation.

But with those nit-picks out of the way, I think you're presenting a strong and passionate case for your book. Good luck!

Hey, Dark Sentinel. I just stumbled across this thread and thought I'd throw my hat in the proverbial ring.

My husband and I are both writers who have books out there. I'm currently working on rewrites of my third novel and Garth is working on the first draft of his second. We went the Amazon/Createspace route for publishing for ebooks and paperbacks. I'll post links to our books and twitter info at the bottom of the post. :)

For anyone who's interested in publishing, finding a good editor is vital to putting out a good book. I've been very fortunate to find a talented editor who's good at kicking my butt and keeping me honest and I can really tell the difference in my writing. It comes a lot easier and with each novel we worked on together, the need for rewrites decreased appreciably.

So, now to the shameless promotions:

Books
H.L. Reasby's Sekhmet's Light Series -
* Akhet, Sekhmet's Light, Book One
* Peret: Sekhmet's Light, Book Two
* Shomu: Sekhmet's Light, Book Three - Coming Soon!

Garth Reasby's Children of Divinity Series -
* Awaken: The Children of Divinity, Book One
* Evolve: The Children of Divinity, Book Two - Coming Soon!

Twitter:
@HLReasby
@GarthReasby

Blogs:
The Literary Fatale (My Blog)
The Scorpion's Lair (Garth's Blog)

There are excerpts of all our books available via Amazon.com. Just click the 'look inside' option to get a look at the first part of the books!

Hey, Dark Sentinel. I just stumbled across this thread and thought I'd throw my hat in the proverbial ring.

My husband and I are both writers who have books out there. I'm currently working on rewrites of my third novel and Garth is working on the first draft of his second. We went the Amazon/Createspace route for publishing for ebooks and paperbacks. I'll post links to our books and twitter info at the bottom of the post. :)

For anyone who's interested in publishing, finding a good editor is vital to putting out a good book. I've been very fortunate to find a talented editor who's good at kicking my butt and keeping me honest and I can really tell the difference in my writing. It comes a lot easier and with each novel we worked on together, the need for rewrites decreased appreciably.

So, now to the shameless promotions:

Books
H.L. Reasby's Sekhmet's Light Series -
* Akhet, Sekhmet's Light, Book One
* Peret: Sekhmet's Light, Book Two
* Shomu: Sekhmet's Light, Book Three - Coming Soon!

Garth Reasby's Children of Divinity Series -
* Awaken: The Children of Divinity, Book One
* Evolve: The Children of Divinity, Book Two - Coming Soon!

Twitter:
@HLReasby
@GarthReasby

Blogs:
The Literary Fatale (My Blog)
The Scorpion's Lair (Garth's Blog)

There are excerpts of all our books available via Amazon.com. Just click the 'look inside' option to get a look at the first part of the books!

That's awesome HL!! I'll certainly be following you guys on Twitter.

Oh, and I woke up to the best news today..ANOTHER agency asked for sample chapters from MATHION!! I'm insanely pumped right now!

That's awesome HL!! I'll certainly be following you guys on Twitter.

Oh, and I woke up to the best news today..ANOTHER agency asked for sample chapters from MATHION!! I'm insanely pumped right now!

Fantastic news! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

Hey, guys. I'm wondering if any of my fellow authors would be interested in being interviewed for my blog.

Generally speaking, I've found that in the days after an interview goes live, I see a little bump in sales so if anyone's interested, feel free to send me a PM here with your email and I'll send you some questions to answer and send back. :)

Hey, guys. I'm wondering if any of my fellow authors would be interested in being interviewed for my blog.

Generally speaking, I've found that in the days after an interview goes live, I see a little bump in sales so if anyone's interested, feel free to send me a PM here with your email and I'll send you some questions to answer and send back. :)

I'm game. What's the blog (I'm using the mobile Hype! so if it's in your sig I can't see it)

Well, how's that for senility - I should check forums more often....

I'm late to the party, but here are some responses to the above:
1. I myself prefer releasing my novels in the e-book format. A traditional publisher is excessively slow, and they no longer provide the promotion they once did. Often, they do a marketing blast for a month or two (along with all the other new novels they release during the time), and authors are left to promote their own novels. I also would rather not have a year or so from the point I have a novel accepted by an agent to the time it might be released by the publisher.

2. Marketing is hard. If you are a new e-book author, expect negligible sales for a long time. You have to serve as the author, your own agent, your own promoter, etc. etc. Make sure to get a few evil editors that are willing to tear into you as well.

3. It can be expensive - if you pay for cover art (or other art assets), marketing/advertising, promotional books, editing and other business-related expenses you'll find it easy to go into the negative very easily. (Looking at a year to even make my first profit, myself due to the above - even after 5 novels.)

4. If you release e-books, go ahead and write for different genres. You won't be looking to impress a publisher.

5. Love what you do. (Primarily because of the lack of incoming revenue.) If you don't enjoy it *AND* you aren't making money it'll be rough to continue.

6. Here's a link to the first 10% of my first novel. All of my Kindle books are setup to allow people to preview up to 10% right on Amazon's page where you look/buy a Kindle book. http://www.kevinrau.com/H.E.R.O. - Metamorphosis - Promo Chapters Only.pdf

7. I'm currently finishing my sixth superhero novel in the series. I also create most of my characters with a 3D program and put a bunch of images on my website, as well as on my Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/HERO-Superhero-Novels/312142538816826

Kevin Rau
Author of the H.E.R.O. series of superhero novels:
[FONT=&quot]H.E.R.O. – Metamorphosis [/FONT]http://www.amzn.com/B005GM3PV8[FONT=&quot]
H.E.R.O. – New Markets [/FONT]http://www.amzn.com/B005NBLWW6[FONT=&quot]
H.E.R.O. – Rise and Fall [/FONT]http://www.amzn.com/B005QNS4ZY[FONT=&quot]
H.E.R.O. – Dark Research [/FONT]http://www.amzn.com/B006KWAA3O[FONT=&quot]
H.E.R.O. – Horde [/FONT]http://www.amzn.com/B0070UQ5G6

^^well said.

But while I agree with you that the ebook format is the new best way to go for self-published authors, I have always aimed for a traditional publishing goal for my book. Nothing against ebooks, but I just want to hold my story in my hands and feel how heavy it is. Plus, when you publish with a major publishing house you're basically killing two birds with one stone: on the one hand, older people who are not so into ebooks yet but are interested in books of your genre will buy your hardcover. On the other hand, the Facebook-happy Twitter-finger tweens who look just so awesome:awesome: with their iPhones and Androids and all that crap who have an ereader app can get it as well.

Dark Sentinel - I agree, I'd much rather have my books on store shelves *and* out in e-book format. I did have a bunch of copies of mines made through Createspace (and are available both on Createspace's website as well as Amazon.com's main store) - but the price I have to charge is so much higher for the print edition that they really don't sell.

Dark Sentinel - I agree, I'd much rather have my books on store shelves *and* out in e-book format. I did have a bunch of copies of mines made through Createspace (and are available both on Createspace's website as well as Amazon.com's main store) - but the price I have to charge is so much higher for the print edition that they really don't sell.

Interestingly, I've found that the Sekhmet's Light series sells quite well in paperback. Maybe it's something of the nature of the subject matter (dealing with Ancient Egyptian mythology) that somehow lends itself to people wanting to wanting to hold the physical book in their hand. In January, I sold double the number of paperback that I have in ebooks.

Interestingly, I've found that the Sekhmet's Light series sells quite well in paperback. Maybe it's something of the nature of the subject matter (dealing with Ancient Egyptian mythology) that somehow lends itself to people wanting to wanting to hold the physical book in their hand. In January, I sold double the number of paperback that I have in ebooks.

Same goes for epic fantasy in certain cases. If the world is detailed enough to warrant the perception of "forgotten history" people will want to hold the evidence in their hands as opposed to looking at it on a screen.

Well, I'd like to officially throw my name in the New Inklings hat. As of yesterday, thanks to self-publish ebooks, I am officially a published author.

I published 2 of my 3 novels and am preparing that last one as we speak. It needs a lot of work since it was my first novel and is months away from being published but it'll get there. My next step is to look into createspace and prepare to print my book. I need a typesetter but that's the only person I plan on paying to prepare my book (if I can't figure it out myself) because I have no money and never do. I am VERY eager to hold my books in my hand but that'll be a little ways off. For now though... my ebooks:

Cicada Song - This is a Contemporary Romance but it isn't the gooshy kind that makes most guys roll their eyes. It's got a lot of mystery, suspense, and religious aspects to the story and is my favorite novel that I've written so far.

The Adventures of Flitter & Plank - This is a children's novel staring my two daughters. I asked if they wanted to help me write a book so they helped me come up with the plot, named some of the characters, specified some scenes and animals they wanted, drew pictures for it, etc. And yes, that's them on the cover. It's a children's novel but it can be enjoyed by all ages, boy or girl.

I'm real eager to start writing my next novel, as I've spent months and months editing and preparing these two and the third book I'm working on (converting present tense to past tense currently). I miss the actual writing side of books but it'll happen. I'm just getting these all prepared and then I can focus on moving forward, not moving what I've already finished forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"